by Staff Writers
Logar, Afghanistan (AFP) Dec 26, 2014
Afghan officials said that a NATO air strike on Friday killed five civilians and wounded six others, just days before the US-led military coalition ends combat operations in the country.
NATO's International Security Assistance Force (ISAF) did not immediately confirm the strike on Logar province, south of the capital Kabul, but always stresses that it tries to avoid civilian casualties.
"At around 3:30 am, US forces conducted an air strike in Aab Josh village of Baraki Barak district," said the district governor Mohammad Amin.
"The air strike hit a residential house killing five and wounding six civilians," he told AFP.
Niaz Mohammad Amiri, Logar province's acting governor, said the incident happened as US forces tracked Taliban fighters that have been waging a deadly insurgency since late 2001.
"US forces were chasing down Taliban militants, but mistakenly bombarded a house. As a result, civilians were victims of the attack," Amiri said.
Civilian deaths in air strikes have been one of the most emotive and high-profile issues of the 13-year Afghan war, however, UN statistics show that the Taliban are responsible for the majority of deaths.
A UN report last week, said that civilian casualties jumped 19 percent by the end of November compared to the year before.
Some 3,188 civilians were killed and 6,429 injured, with the Taliban accountable for 75 percent of all cases.
NATO ends its 13-year mission against the Taliban in Afghanistan on Wednesday.
A follow-up mission of about 12,500 US-led NATO troops will stay on to train and support Afghan security forces.
News From Across The Stans
|The content herein, unless otherwise known to be public domain, are Copyright 1995-2014 - Space Media Network. All websites are published in Australia and are solely subject to Australian law and governed by Fair Use principals for news reporting and research purposes. AFP, UPI and IANS news wire stories are copyright Agence France-Presse, United Press International and Indo-Asia News Service. ESA news reports are copyright European Space Agency. All NASA sourced material is public domain. Additional copyrights may apply in whole or part to other bona fide parties. Advertising does not imply endorsement, agreement or approval of any opinions, statements or information provided by Space Media Network on any Web page published or hosted by Space Media Network. Privacy Statement All images and articles appearing on Space Media Network have been edited or digitally altered in some way. Any requests to remove copyright material will be acted upon in a timely and appropriate manner. Any attempt to extort money from Space Media Network will be ignored and reported to Australian Law Enforcement Agencies as a potential case of financial fraud involving the use of a telephonic carriage device or postal service.|