Subscribe to our free daily newsletters
. Military Space News .




Subscribe to our free daily newsletters



Blair Faces Backlash Over Nuclear Deterrent Replacement

File photo of Trident missile.
by Phil Hazlewood
London (AFP) Dec 03, 2006
Atomic weapons are back on the agenda in British politics with a vengeance, as the government prepares to outline Monday its plans to replace the country's US-built Trident missile nuclear deterrent. But Prime Minister Tony Blair has a fight on his hands to push through the measures, faced with a groundswell of opposition from within his governing Labour party and a reinvigorated Campaign for Nuclear Disarmament (CND).

By Saturday evening, more than 3,600 people had signed an online petition on Blair's own own website urging him to "champion the Nuclear Non-Proliferation Treaty, by not replacing the Trident nuclear weapons system".

That follows a series of polls for CND suggesting a majority of Britons are against replacing Trident and want any decision to be made by parliament alone amid fears the government will simply try to rubber-stamp the plans.

A parliamentary vote is due in the new year, but the vote is likely to be "whipped" -- where lawmakers are told to toe the party line rather than follow their consciences in a free vote.

Between now and then, CND, whose push for unilateral nuclear disarmament at the height of the Cold War in the 1980s was also Labour party policy, promises to lead the public debate.

CND's chairwoman Kate Hudson told AFP their 32,000-strong membership has been bolstered by an extra 1,000 in recent months, directly over concern about Trident.

"What's really remarkable is how the debate has developed and many people who thought nuclear weapons were necessary during the Cold War now think they're not," she said.

"There's been a big shift in public and political opinion."

CND's fight begins soon after the government's plans are published on Monday morning, with the delivery of its alternative proposals to Blair's Downing Street office in central London.

His administration has had early warnings of the strength of feeling.

Scrapping Trident was one of the issues at a march involving tens of thousands of people in Manchester, northwest England, before Labour's annual conference in September.

At the conference itself, there was outrage among Labour left-wingers and trade unionists and claims the party hierarchy was trying to gag opponents by refusing to allow grassroots delegates to discuss Trident at all.

On October 1, protesters began a year-long peaceful blockade of the Royal Navy's nuclear submarine base in Faslane, western Scotland, where a peace camp has been based since 1982.

And just last week, protesters blockaded the country's main atomic weapons base accusing Blair of hypocrisy for opposing the nuclear ambitions of countries like Iran while pushing Britain's own.

Blair and the man tipped to succeed him before September next year, finance minister Gordon Brown, favour replacing Trident, with the government line that a nuclear deterrent is a key "insurance policy" in an uncertain world.

Campaigners reject that assertion, arguing instead that Britain should take the lead on nuclear disarmament to prevent proliferation in states like North Korea and Iran.

The estimated 25 billion pounds (37 billion euros, 46 billion dollars) it could cost to replace Trident could instead be channelled into health and social care programmes as well as the fight against global warming, they argue.

The missiles, which are due to become obsolete in the mid-2020s, are carried on four Royal Navy Vanguard class submarines, one of which is always on patrol.

There are signs, though, that Blair is aware of the potential backlash and he could concede some ground.

Saturday's Financial Times said the prime minister would indicate that the number of submarines and 200 or so stockpiled warheads could be cut in the future, to reduce the potential replacement costs.

Source: Agence France-Presse

Related Links
-

US Urges North Korea To Close Nuke Facilities Before Talks
Tokyo (AFP) Dec 2, 2006
The United States urged North Korea to completely close off the nuclear facilities that conducted the October 9 atom bomb test before resuming the six-nation talks, a Japanese newspaper said Saturday. Christopher Hill, the US negotiator to the six-party talks, told his North Korean counterpart Kim Kye-Gwan that the North must satisfy four conditions before coming back to the talks, the Yomiuri Shimbun daily said, citing Japanese and US government sources.







  • Shock And Awe About-Face
  • China, US To Hold First Strategic Economic Dialogue
  • Breaking Taboo, Japan Votes To Create Defense Ministry
  • US Power Stays In Middle East

  • Blair Faces Backlash Over Nuclear Deterrent Replacement
  • US Urges North Korea To Close Nuke Facilities Before Talks
  • Japan Pledges To IAEA To Shun Nukes
  • North Korean Options

  • Raytheon Awarded Contract For Missile Launcher Production
  • Pakistan Test Fires Nuclear-Capable Missile
  • Raytheon HARM Variant Hits Target Without Radar Guidance
  • Missiles, Missiles Everywhere

  • A Giant Leap Forward For Indian Missile Defense
  • India Joins BMD Club
  • India Says First Missile Intercept Test A Success
  • Aegis Missile Defense Fleet Tops 80 Ships

  • Boeing Business Jets Delivers Its 100th Green Airplane
  • A380 Wraps Up Technical Route Proving After a Final Trip Over Both Poles
  • DLR And EUROCONTROL Create Joint Total Airport Management Concept
  • Aviation Industry Alarmed At New EU Emission Rules

  • Goodrich Awarded Contract From USAF To Develop Shortwave Infrared Sensor For UAVs
  • Beale AFB Gets New Global Hawk
  • QinetiQ World First Flight Demo Of Multiple UAV System
  • Boeing Demonstrates UAV Automated Aerial Refueling Capability

  • More Troops In Iraq Will Make Little Difference
  • Can Iraq Be Successfully Torn Apart
  • Can Syria And Iran Help The US And UK Leave Iraq
  • US May Boost Troops In Iraq

  • Pimp My Tank Cuba Remakes Weapons With US Foe In Mind
  • QinetiQ Awarded DARPA Contract To Explore 'First-Of-Their-Kind' Sensors
  • Raytheon's Paveway Precision Guided Bomb Kit Wins US Air Force Contract Competition
  • US Army To Deploy Lockheed Martin Persistent Threat Detection Systems

  • The content herein, unless otherwise known to be public domain, are Copyright 1995-2006 - SpaceDaily.AFP and UPI Wire Stories are copyright Agence France-Presse and United Press International. ESA PortalReports are copyright European Space Agency. All NASA sourced material is public domain. Additionalcopyrights may apply in whole or part to other bona fide parties. Advertising does not imply endorsement,agreement or approval of any opinions, statements or information provided by SpaceDaily on any Web page published or hosted by SpaceDaily. Privacy Statement