by Staff Writers
Ottawa (AFP) June 26, 2017
China has pledged not to carry out state-sponsored cyberattacks against the intellectual property of Canadian firms, the two sides said Monday.
The agreement was reached as part of ongoing bilateral security and trade talks.
Western governments have accused Chinese hackers of stealing valuable proprietary technologies and business secrets from high-tech and pharmaceutical companies, as well as manufacturers.
Beijing has publicly denied wrongdoing.
China and Canada "agreed that neither country's government would conduct or knowingly support cyber-enabled theft of intellectual property, including trade secrets or other confidential business information, with the intent of providing competitive advantages to companies or commercial sectors," an official statement said.
Beijing has recently signed similar agreements with Australia, Britain, the United States and others -- all of which had accused China of wrongdoing.
In Canada, the most serious case involved the alleged hacking in 2014 of the National Research Council (NRC), which the country's electronic eavesdropping agency said was conducted by "a highly sophisticated Chinese state-sponsored actor."
The NRC partners with Canadian companies and academics on cutting-edge science and technology projects.
The deal comes as Canada and China consider entering free trade negotiations, and following blowback over China's recent purchases of Canadian companies.
Polls show Canadians are overwhelmingly wary of increased trade ties with China.
Opposition parties meanwhile raised concerns over the sale to China of two Canadian satellite and laser technology firms that also sell to Western militaries.
The bilateral security and trade talks held last week also touched on "mutual concerns" about rule of law issues, counter-terrorism, and combating transnational organized crime, the two sides said.
Beijing is pushing for an extradition treaty with Canada, but Ottawa has said it needs assurances that persons who are extradited get a fair trial and do not face the death penalty.
Beijing (AFP) June 22, 2017
China's media oversight body announced Thursday that it has ordered three prominent Internet companies to terminate their video and audio streaming services. The State Administration of Press, Publication, Radio, Film and Television said in a statement that the sites - including the massively popular Sina Weibo microblogging platform, iFeng.com and ACFUN - did not possess the permits requi ... read more
Cyberwar - Internet Security News - Systems and Policy Issues
|The content herein, unless otherwise known to be public domain, are Copyright 1995-2017 - Space Media Network. All websites are published in Australia and are solely subject to Australian law and governed by Fair Use principals for news reporting and research purposes. AFP, UPI and IANS news wire stories are copyright Agence France-Presse, United Press International and Indo-Asia News Service. ESA news reports are copyright European Space Agency. All NASA sourced material is public domain. Additional copyrights may apply in whole or part to other bona fide parties. All articles labeled "by Staff Writers" include reports supplied to Space Media Network by industry news wires, PR agencies, corporate press officers and the like. Such articles are individually curated and edited by Space Media Network staff on the basis of the report's information value to our industry and professional readership. Advertising does not imply endorsement, agreement or approval of any opinions, statements or information provided by Space Media Network on any Web page published or hosted by Space Media Network. Privacy Statement|