by Staff Writers
Beijing (AFP) April 05, 2016
Chinese telecommunications giant ZTE will replace three top executives, the WSJ reported, in an apparent bid to see US restrictions on its business lifted after it was accused of violating sanctions against Iran.
Washington slapped restrictions on ZTE and three linked companies last month for illicitly re-exporting controlled items from the United States to sanctioned countries, including Iran.
The curbs require ZTE to have specific licences before shipping US-made items to the parent company or the other three named firms.
ZTE's chief executive Shi Lirong, in place since 2010, and executive vice presidents Tian Wenguo and Qiu Weizhao are expected to step down, pending approval from the ZTE board, the Wall Street Journal said Saturday.
The board is scheduled to meet on Tuesday and Wednesday to green light the management changes, and also discuss the company's financial results for 2015, the newspaper said.
Chief Technology Officer Zhao Xianming is expected to take over as the CEO and chairman of the company, the newspaper added.
According to documents published by the US Department of Commerce, Tian and Qiu were in charge of ZTE's plans to allegedly avoid the US export rules starting from 2011, by setting up shell companies to circumvent the US sanctions, the WSJ said.
The newspaper added that as part of a deal between the US Department of Commerce and ZTE to temporarily remove the sanctions, the company executives involved in the alleged violations should be removed from senior roles.
Washington in January eased several restrictions on doing business with Iran following an international agreement over its nuclear programme.
But sanctions linked to accusations that Tehran supports terrorism remain in force, still largely blocking US companies from doing business with Iran.
ZTE is China's second-biggest telecoms equipment maker with customers in more than 160 countries.
Cyberwar - Internet Security News - Systems and Policy Issues
|The content herein, unless otherwise known to be public domain, are Copyright 1995-2017 - Space Media Network. All websites are published in Australia and are solely subject to Australian law and governed by Fair Use principals for news reporting and research purposes. AFP, UPI and IANS news wire stories are copyright Agence France-Presse, United Press International and Indo-Asia News Service. ESA news reports are copyright European Space Agency. All NASA sourced material is public domain. Additional copyrights may apply in whole or part to other bona fide parties. All articles labeled "by Staff Writers" include reports supplied to Space Media Network by industry news wires, PR agencies, corporate press officers and the like. Such articles are individually curated and edited by Space Media Network staff on the basis of the report's information value to our industry and professional readership. Advertising does not imply endorsement, agreement or approval of any opinions, statements or information provided by Space Media Network on any Web page published or hosted by Space Media Network. Privacy Statement|