Subscribe to our free daily newsletters
. Military Space News .




Subscribe to our free daily newsletters



Ex-US Defense Chief Suggests Military Action Against North Korea

Japan demands NKorea shut reactor
Tokyo (AFP) Jan 19 - Japan on Friday demanded that North Korea close its nuclear facility and allow UN inspectors to visit as it prepares for another round of six-nation disarmament talks. Foreign Minister Taro Aso also rejected North Korea's demands for the United States to lift sanctions on a bank accused of money-laundering on behalf of the impoverished regime.

"The conditions are that North Korea accept inspections by the International Atomic Energy Agency and close its nuclear test facility," Aso told reporters. US financial sanctions "have nothing to do with the six-party talks. That is a separate issue," Aso said.

North Korea in 2002 expelled inspectors from the UN atomic watchdog and restarted its Yongbyon facility, which could produce weapons-grade plutonium, after the United States accused Pyongyang of secret nuclear activity. North Korea last month returned to six-nation talks -- involving China, Japan, the two Koreas, Russia and the United States -- after carrying out its first nuclear test.

US negotiator Christopher Hill, who was in Seoul Friday after meeting his North Korean counterpart in Berlin, said he expected six-way negotiations to resume before mid-February. Hill will visit Tokyo on Saturday for talks with his Japanese counterpart Kenichiro Sasae. Aso said he was unsure when the talks would start. "We don't have a clear view on when North Korea will come to participate in the talks. We have no idea when the next talks will be held."

Prime Minister Shinzo Abe said that the parties concerned should make six-way talks "fruitful" if they are resumed. "I have given instructions that close consultations with the United States and other countries must be made in an effort to make a new round fruitful with North Korea taking concrete action toward dismantling its nuclear arms," Abe told reporters at his office. Japan has tense relations with North Korea and Abe has pursued a hard line against the communist state.

by P. Parameswaran
Washington (AFP) Jan 18, 2007
The United States should consider military action against North Korea if China and South Korea refuse to prod Pyongyang to end its nuclear weapons program, former US defense secretary William Perry proposed Thursday.

Although the move is dangerous, there is no alternative left if China and South Korea, the two key economic lifelines to North Korea, do not join any US-led "diplomatic coercive" action against Pyongyang, he told a Congressional hearing.

Perry, the Pentagon chief under former president Bill Clinton, said the United States should consider destroying a large reactor under construction in North Korea capable of making about 10 nuclear bombs a year.

In addition to the Yongbyon reactor, which produces spent fuel that can be "reprocessed" to yield plutonium for a nuclear weapon, Pyongyang is reportedly building a large reactor in Taechon.

Perry said that the danger of the North Korean nuclear weapons program was by now obvious to China and South Korea and that they should be willing to join the United States in any concerted diplomatic initiative.

"An additional inducement for China and South Korea would be the concern that if they did not provide the coercion, the United States might take the only meaningful coercive action available to it -- destroying the reactor before it could come on line," Perry said.

"Clearly, this is a dangerous alternative," he said. "If China and South Korea do not agree to applying coercion, the United States mat be forced to military action which, while it certainly would be successful, could lead to dangerous unintended consequences," he said.

But, he said, there were no alternatives left that were not dangerous.

"Allowing North Korea to move ahead with a robust program that is building 10 nuclear bombs a year could prove to be even more dangerous that exercising coercive diplomacy," he said.

But Daryl Kimball, executive director of the Arms Control Association, said Perry was "being imprudent" when he suggested threatening bombing the North Korean nuclear facility.

"The reality is that the North Korean nuclear program is a grave security threat but threatening to bomb a reactor that is not yet completed could itself trigger a deeper crisis, impede diplomacy that still has the potential to free North Korea's existing and still limited nuclear program," he said.

Furthermore, Kimball said, a pre-emptive strike on any North Korean facility risked a war on the Korean peninsula that was sure to take tens of thousands of lives in South Korea and among US troops deployed there.

Together with China, South Korea, Japan and Russia, the United States has been involved in three years of six-party talks with North Korea aimed at disbanding its nuclear program but to no avail.

But Perry said the talks were necessary but not a sufficient condition for success.

The United States, he said, should return to these talks with a "viable negotiating strategy, which includes a credible coercive element, and which included significant buy-in from the other parties.

"The most feasible form of coercion could come from the Chinese and South Koreans, who could threaten to cut off their supply of grain and fuel oil if North Korea does not stop work on the large reactor," he said.

But this alternative has been resisted by the two nations.

North Korea agreed in principle during the six-party talks in September 2005 to abandon its nuclear weapons program in return for diplomatic, financial and security guarantees.

But it walked out in protest at US financial sanctions imposed on a Macau bank accused of illicit dealings on behalf of Pyongyang and carried out its first nuclear test explosion on October 9 last year.

The talks resumed in December last year but ended in deadlock as Pyongyang insisted the financial sanctions be lifted before it would discuss nuclear disarmament.

earlier related report
Iran delegation meets top NKorean official
Seoul (AFP) Jan 19 - A top North Korean leader on Friday met a visiting Iranian delegation for "friendly" talks amid international pressure on both countries to curb their nuclear programmes.

Kim Yong-Nam, president of the Presidium of the Supreme People's Assembly or parliament, and de facto head of state, met and had "a friendly talk" with the Iranian foreign ministry delegation, the North's official Korean Central News Agency said.

The Iranians, headed by Deputy Foreign Minister Mahdi Safari, arrived in Pyongyang Thursday. The news agency gave no details.

North Korea is known to have sold missiles and missile technology to Iran.

Cooperation between the two countries has aroused concern as both are suspected of building up weapons of mass destruction.

The North fired a series of missiles in July 2006 and carried out its first nuclear weapons test in October.

The United States accuses Iran also of seeking a nuclear weapon. Tehran insists it is only developing nuclear energy to provide power for a growing population.

Source: Agence France-Presse

Related Links
Learn about missile defense at SpaceWar.com
Learn about nuclear weapons doctrine and defense at SpaceWar.com
Learn about the Superpowers of the 21st Century at SpaceWar.com

Ban Hails Signs Six-Party North Korea Nuclear Talks Will Resume Soon
United Nations (AFP) Jan 19, 2007
UN chief Ban Ki-moon welcomes signs that six-nation talks on Pyongyang's nuclear program are set to resume soon, and he is encouraged by recent positive talks between US and North Korean negotiators, his spokeswoman said Friday.







  • EU Boosts Its Security Efforts
  • Abe Says Assertive Japan No Threat To Neighbours
  • Japan Mulls Expanded Weapons Use For Overseas Troops
  • The New ASEAN Takes Form

  • Ex-US Defense Chief Suggests Military Action Against North Korea
  • Ban Hails Signs Six-Party North Korea Nuclear Talks Will Resume Soon
  • North Korea And US Agree To Resume Nuclear Talks Soon Says US Envoy
  • IAEA Suspends Some Technical Aid To Iran

  • Javelin Joint Venture Earns Logistics Award For Supporting The Warfighter
  • Pakistan Chooses Raytheon's Proven Air Defense Missiles To Secure Borders
  • General Dynamics Awarded $425M For Missile Systems By Spanish Army
  • Raytheon Receives Contracts For Standard Missile-1 Support Services

  • Israel Facing Critical Decision On ABM Roadmap
  • F-15s May Air Launch PAC-3s
  • Lockheed Martin To Continue Study Of Air-Launched PAC-3 Missile
  • Missile Defense Really Does Take Rocket Science

  • Time to test the Guardian Missile Defense System For Commercial Aircraft
  • Operational Testing And Evaluation Of Guardian Commercial Airline Anti-Missile System Begins
  • USGS Examines Environmental Impacts Of Aircraft De-Icers
  • China Gives Rare Glimpse Of Homegrown Jet Fighter

  • Athena Technologies Guidance and Navigation System Selected Watchkeeper UAV Program
  • Enhanced Fire Scout Makes Flight Debut
  • Israel Developing Massive New Unmanned Aerial Vehicle
  • Boeing Provides ScanEagle UAV to Australian Army

  • The Strategy Of Surge In Iraq
  • Arab Nations Gave The US Carte Blanche In Iraq
  • Looking Ahead In Iraq
  • Maliki Calls On US To Better Arm Iraqi Army

  • New Details Of First Major Urban Battle Emerge
  • The Death Of US Air Power
  • Pentagon Report Warns Canadian Coins Bugged
  • Raytheon Wins Silent Knight Radar Development Contract

  • The content herein, unless otherwise known to be public domain, are Copyright 1995-2006 - SpaceDaily.AFP and UPI Wire Stories are copyright Agence France-Presse and United Press International. ESA PortalReports are copyright European Space Agency. All NASA sourced material is public domain. Additionalcopyrights may apply in whole or part to other bona fide parties. Advertising does not imply endorsement,agreement or approval of any opinions, statements or information provided by SpaceDaily on any Web page published or hosted by SpaceDaily. Privacy Statement