Subscribe to our free daily newsletters
. Military Space News .




Subscribe to our free daily newsletters



MILPLEX
Israeli army battles generals' scandals

No plans to halt US military aid to Egypt: Pentagon
Washington (AFP) Feb 3, 2011 - The Pentagon on Thursday said it had no plans to halt weapons deliveries to Egypt in coming months despite a popular revolt against President Hosni Mubarak's rule. While the US administration was examining its economic and military aid to Egypt in light of political upheaval there, military assistance had not been suspended, a spokesman said. "There's a difference between halting the aid and reviewing it," said Colonel Dave Lapan.

As senior US officers closely monitored fast-moving events in Cairo, Lapan said Egypt's military continued to display "restraint" in the crisis so far. "To date we have seen them act professionally and with restraint. Again it's a very fluid situation so we're watching every single day," Lapan told reporters. The White House has suggested that US assistance for Egypt is under review in the face of a wave of street demonstrations demanding Mubarak step down.

Spare parts for F-16 warplanes, coastal patrol ships and fuses for munitions are among items due to be delivered to Egypt in the early part of this year, Lapan said. The United States has provided tens of billions worth of arms and training to Egypt over more than three decades, with annual defense assistance at $1.3 billion. Lapan also said the US military had no immediate plans to redeploy its forces in or near Egypt in response to the crisis, but as always the armed forces were carrying out "prudent planning" for all scenarios.

The majority of the more than 600 US troops stationed in Egypt are part of the multinational observer mission in the Sinai, with the remainder providing security at the embassy or working in a defense cooperation office, he said. A US aircraft carrier, the USS Enterprise, a guided-missile destroyer and other warships are currently in the Mediterranean with tentative plans to sail through the Suez Canal on the way to the Arabian Sea possibly later this month. US ships in the Arabian Sea back up the war effort in Afghanistan, with fighter jets based on carriers running combat missions for troops on the ground.

Mubarak's government has long provided the US military with access to its air space and safe passage for naval ships through the Suez Canal, which Washington has used to supply troops in the Iraq war. The US military's top officer, Admiral Mike Mullen, on Wednesday spoke to his counterpart by phone and said in a statement that he had "confidence" in the Egyptian army's ability to provide security for the country and the Suez Canal. US officials and analysts view the role of Egypt's army as crucial in eventually resolving the crisis, and the administration is hoping that longstanding defense ties with Cairo will provide some leverage. The White House said Wednesday that US contacts with various levels of the Egyptian armed forces had helped rein in possible violence earlier in the week.
by Staff Writers
Tel Aviv, Israel (UPI) Feb 3, 2011
Amid the turmoil sweeping Egypt that could threaten its 1979 peace pact with Israel, the Jewish state's military leadership is fighting a battle at home to preserve the reputation of the army over legal challenges against two of its top generals.

The command echelon has been thrown into disarray for months over unseemly and highly public scandals involving senior officers, scandals that have seriously dented the military's long-held status as Israel's most cherished institution.

These events have occurred amid an unprecedented shake-up in the military establishment that runs down the chain of command to battalion level as the tenure of most senior officers, starting with the chief of the general staff, expires.

Younger officers, some of them untested at such levels, are being moved into top command positions at a time when Israel has threatened airstrikes against Iran's nuclear facilities, operations that could trigger a region-wide conflict.

The wave of political upheaval across the Arab world, but particularly in Egypt and Jordan with whom Israel has peace treaties that anchor its strategic thinking, has added new dangers at a critical time as the military finds itself grappling with new strains and threats.

These culminated Tuesday when Prime Minister Binyamin Netanyahu and Defense Minister Ehud Barak took the unprecedented step of dumping the decorated war hero they had named as the next chief of the general staff, the highest military position, because of "improper behavior" over seizing 9 acres of public land to add to his private estate in the north.

Maj. Gen. Yoav Galant, a 33-year career soldier who was head of Israel's Southern Command, was doomed after State Comptroller Micha Lindenstrauss, a public watchdog, interrogated him and ruled he had illegally occupied the land and lied to authorities about his actions.

Attorney General Yehuda Weinstein, who had initially defended Galant against the accusations that came from the environmentalist Green Movement, announced he could no longer support his appointment as the Israeli military's 20th chief of staff.

Galant led the highly criticized 22-day invasion of the Gaza Strip by Israeli forces in the winter of 2008-09 in which some 1,400 Palestinians, mainly civilians, were killed.

Human rights groups have accused him of committing war crimes in the operation.

Galant, 52, had been due to take over as chief of staff from Lt. Gen. Gabi Ashkenazi Feb. 14.

Galant was approved for the post by Netanyahu's Cabinet in September but only after months of scandal over allegations he sought to smear his rivals in the competition for chief of staff.

The scandal, which caused deep dismay within the military establishment, centered on a forged letter that bore the imprimatur of a public relations outfit with strong political connections.

A police investigation cleared Galant of involvement in the forgery and a reserve colonel linked to Ashkenazi was arrested. There has been no suggestion Ashkenazi himself was involved in the forgery.

But the affair underlined how the process of selecting chiefs of staff has become highly politicized.

For a nation that has been at war since the state was founded in 1948, the position of top soldier, known in Hebrew as "Ramatkal," is a critical one for Israel's survival.

Galant is close to Barak, a former chief of staff himself. There have been suggestions Barak selected Galant because he's a hard-liner who favors military action against Iran, like Barak and Netanyahu.

Ashkenazi opposes pre-emptive strikes against Iran because they are likely to trigger a wider Middle East war. He has clashed frequently with Barak during his three-year tenure that followed the disastrous 2006 war with Hezbollah.

Military commentator Yaakov Katz wrote in The Jerusalem Post that "the past few months have been poisonous for the upper echelons of the Israeli Defense Forces … the atmosphere has been bitter and ugly."

After Galant's disgrace, Barak named the officer slated to be deputy chief of staff, Maj. Gen. Yair Naveh, as caretaker chief for two months.

Naveh could be confirmed in the post but even he has run into legal challenges.

Left-wing groups petitioned the High Court to prevent him taking command pending investigation of his involvement in the killing of three Palestinian militants while he was head of the Central Command. The court rejected the petition Wednesday.



Share This Article With Planet Earth
del.icio.usdel.icio.us DiggDigg RedditReddit
YahooMyWebYahooMyWeb GoogleGoogle FacebookFacebook



Related Links
The Military Industrial Complex at SpaceWar.com
Learn about the Superpowers of the 21st Century at SpaceWar.com



Memory Foam Mattress Review
Newsletters :: SpaceDaily :: SpaceWar :: TerraDaily :: Energy Daily
XML Feeds :: Space News :: Earth News :: War News :: Solar Energy News


MILPLEX
Boeing to revise bid for US military tanker deal
Washington (AFP) Feb 1, 2011
Boeing said Tuesday it would submit a new, "final" bid for a $35 billion contract to supply the US military with 179 aerial refueling tankers, as it tries to beat European rival Airbus. A Boeing spokesman said the firm and US Air Force officials held talks Monday to discuss the company's proposal and revisions would follow. "This was our last opportunity to get feedback from the Air Forc ... read more







MILPLEX
Boeing And Northrop Grumman Submit Proposal For Missile Defense Competitive Contract

NATO Achieves First Step On TBMD Capability

LockMart-Raytheon Team Submits Proposal For GMD Contract

Aegis BMD System Completes Tracking Exercise

MILPLEX
Raytheon nabs $145 million deal in Kuwait

Kuwait Awards Contract To Raytheon For Patriot GEM-T Missiles

LockMart Receives Contract For Long Range Anti-Ship Missile Demonstrations

S. Korea, U.S in talks over missiles

MILPLEX
UA Engineers Study Birds And Bees To Design Robust Unmanned Vehicles

AeroVironment Receives Order For Raven UAS Digital Module Upgrade Kits

New US drone spy cameras fail Air Force test: study

Three US drone strikes kill 13 in Pakistan

MILPLEX
Boeing Tests New Ka-band SATCOM Antenna System

Raytheon to supply radios to Aussie army

RAF Begin Training With US On Intelligence Aircraft

Joint STARS Successfully Supports JSuW JCTD

MILPLEX
Raytheon Awarded APY-10 Radar Contract For Boeing's P-8A Aircraft

LEMV Program Completes Critical Design Review

Multi-Band Synthetic Aperture Radar Counters IEDs

Boeing And iRobot Team Delivers First SUGVs To USAF

MILPLEX
Israeli army battles generals' scandals

Boeing to revise tanker bid pitch

Kaveri engine set for Indian combat plane

Brazil reassessing options on arms deal

MILPLEX
Few regrets in ex-US defense chief's memoir

Clinton to join security talks in Germany

US says willing to assist India-China dialogue

US eyes more Asian defense talks

MILPLEX
'Air laser' could find bombs at a distance

ONR Achieves Milestone In Free Electron Laser Program

US Office Of Naval Research Achieves Milestone

Navy test fires electromagnetic cannon


The content herein, unless otherwise known to be public domain, are Copyright 1995-2010 - SpaceDaily. AFP and UPI Wire Stories are copyright Agence France-Presse and United Press International. ESA Portal Reports are copyright European Space Agency. All NASA sourced material is public domain. Additional copyrights may apply in whole or part to other bona fide parties. Advertising does not imply endorsement,agreement or approval of any opinions, statements or information provided by SpaceDaily on any Web page published or hosted by SpaceDaily. Privacy Statement