Subscribe free to our newsletters via your
. Military Space News .


Subscribe free to our newsletters via your




















WAR REPORT
Kadhafi arrest warrant sought despite truce offer

NATO says it intercepts bomb-laden Libyan boat
Brussels (AFP) May 16, 2011 - NATO warships thwarted Monday a bid by Moamer Kadhafi's forces to use small boats loaded with improvised explosive devices to threaten aid ships heading to the port city of Misrata, the alliance said.

It was the third time in nearly three weeks that NATO encountered Kadhafi forces off the coast, after catching them laying sea mines in Misrata's harbour on April 29 and beating back a boat attack on the port last week, NATO said.

On Monday morning, NATO dispatched warships and helicopters after detecting two rigid-hull inflatable boats that appeared to have come from around Zliten and were headed towards Misrata on the western coast.

As alliance forces approached, one of the small boats escaped at high speed to the west back towards Zliten, abandoning the second vessel.

A bomb disposal team discovered around one tonne of explosives and two human mannequins inside the abandoned boat. The explosives were destroyed by an allied warship using small arms fire.

"This is the first evidence of an attempt to use an improvised explosive device with decoy human mannequins to threaten commercial shipping and humanitarian aid in the area of Misrata," NATO said in a statement.

The three sea incidents involving Kadhafi forces signal "a change in their operations that signifies their continued intent to bring harm to civilians or to attack NATO vessels," the alliance said.

Misrata is the most significant city held by the rebels in western Libya. The opposition forces freed Libya's third largest city in fierce fighting earlier in the week from a two-month siege by Kadhafi's forces.

A total of 21 NATO ships are actively patrolling the Mediterranean as part of an arms embargo against Libya.

The 28-nation alliance has also led since March 31 air strikes against the Kadhafi regime's ground forces under a United Nations mandate to defend the population.

by Staff Writers
The Hague (AFP) May 16, 2011
The International Criminal Court's chief prosecutor applied Monday for a warrant for Moamer Kadhafi's arrest for crimes against humanity, a day after the Libyan strongman's regime offered a truce in return for a halt to NATO-led air strikes.

In Libya's capital, two explosions were heard overnight Tuesday in the Bab Al-Aziziya area of Tripoli where strongman Moamer Kadhafi's residence is located, an AFP journalist reported.

A column of white smoke could be seen rising from the area after two explosions at about 1:30 am (1130 GMT Monday) and ambulance sirens could be heard.

NATO-led aircraft meanwhile launched fresh raids on an outlying suburb of the capital Tripoli, destroying a radar base, the state news agency JANA and residents said.

ICC chief prosecutor Luis Moreno-Ocampo said warrants were also sought for one of Kadhafi's sons, Seif al-Islam, and intelligence head Abdullah Senussi for crimes against humanity.

"Today, the office of the prosecutor requested the International Criminal Court arrest warrants," Moreno-Ocampo told a news conference in The Hague, where the court is based.

The Argentine prosecutor said there was evidence "that Moamer Kadhafi personally ordered attacks on innocent Libyan civilians".

A panel of ICC judges will now decide whether to accept or reject the prosecutor's application.

"NATO doubtless will appreciate the ICC investigation and indictment of top Libyan leaders, including Gadhafi," said David Scheffer, an ex-US ambassador-at-large for war crimes, who teaches international law at Northwestern University.

And Scheffer argued that the move might increase pressure on Gadhafi to think about finding refuge in a country that has not agreed to ICC jurisdiction.

Protests against Kadhafi's four-decade rule began on February 15 and Moreno-Ocampo said thousands of people had now been killed in the violence and around 750,000 people forced to flee.

British Foreign Secretary William Hague called on the international community to "fully support" the ICC.

"I welcome this announcement. The human rights situation in western Libya and the behaviour of the Kadhafi regime remains of grave concern," Hague said.

The rebels too hailed the move by the ICC but said that Kadhafi ought to be tried in Libya first.

"The National Transitional Council welcomes the decision of chief prosecutor of the International Criminal Court, Luis Moreno-Ocampo, to request an arrest warrant," the rebel administration's vice president, Abdel Hafez Ghoga, said.

"We would like him to be tried in Libya first before being put on trial in an international court," he added.

Italian Foreign Minister Franco Frattini said the days of Kadhafi's regime were "numbered" and that some Libyan officials were looking for a way for their leader to go into exile.

Russia said it would hold talks on Tuesday with envoys of the Libyan leader before having a separate meeting with rebel representatives at a later date.

"We have agreed Moscow meetings with representatives of both Tripoli and Benghazi," the ITAR-TASS news agency quoted Foreign Minister Sergei Lavrov as saying.

Russia has refused to accept the rebels as a legitimate power in Libya and still has formal ties with the Kadhafi regime.

On Sunday, Kadhafi's prime minister Baghdadi Mahmudi offered a truce to UN special envoy, Abdul-Ilah al-Khatib, in return for an immediate NATO ceasefire.

Mahmudi said after meeting Khatib that Libya wants "an immediate ceasefire to coincide with a stop to the NATO bombardment and the acceptance of international observers," the official Libyan news agency JANA reported.

Britain's chief of the defence staff, General David Richards, told the Sunday Telegraph newspaper that more military action was needed against the Libyan strongman.

"The vice is closing on Kadhafi, but we need to increase the pressure further through more intense military action," he said.

On Monday, NATO carried out strikes at a radar station in an outlying suburb of Tripoli, while JANA quoted a military source as saying that "civilian and military sites" had been targeted in Tajura east of the capital causing "human and material losses."

Three loud explosions shook the Bab al-Aziziya neighbourhood of Tripoli on Monday night, the area where Libyan strongman Moamer Kadhafi lives, an AFP correspondent reported.

The blasts rattled a hotel near the city centre where the foreign press in Tripoli is housed and were heard at 8:00 pm (1800 GMT).

NATO warships thwarted a bid by Moamer Kadhafi's forces to use small boats loaded with improvised explosive devices to threaten aid ships heading to the port city of Misrata, the alliance said.

It was the third time in nearly three weeks that NATO encountered Kadhafi forces off the coast, after catching them laying sea mines in Misrata's harbour on April 29 and beating back a boat attack on the port last week, NATO said.

A NATO bomb disposal team discovered around one tonne of explosives and two human mannequins inside a boat abandoned by the loyalist force. The explosives were destroyed by an allied warship using small arms fire.

"This is the first evidence of an attempt to use an improvised explosive device with decoy human mannequins to threaten commercial shipping and humanitarian aid in the area of Misrata," NATO said in a statement.

burs/kir/hkb/mdl/sg



Share This Article With Planet Earth
del.icio.usdel.icio.us DiggDigg RedditReddit
YahooMyWebYahooMyWeb GoogleGoogle FacebookFacebook



Related Links



Memory Foam Mattress Review
Newsletters :: SpaceDaily :: SpaceWar :: TerraDaily :: Energy Daily
XML Feeds :: Space News :: Earth News :: War News :: Solar Energy News


WAR REPORT
Israel's alarm about new Egypt deepens
Cairo (UPI) May 16, 2011
Israel's unease as post-Mubarak Egypt distances itself from its 1979 Middle East peace partner is deepening by the day. A pro-Palestinian rally Sunday outside the Israeli Embassy in Cairo, with riot police firing live rounds and tear gas at protesters demanding the mission's closure, underlined concern in Israel that the Jewish state is being inexorably pushed back three decades when it ... read more







WAR REPORT
Boeing to Begin Maintenance Work on SBX Missile Defense Radar

Russia must join Europe missile defence: Kremlin

Israel to spend $2B on missile defense

United States unfolding missile defense in Europe de facto says Rogozin

WAR REPORT
US Army's Apache fires first Hellfire missiles at sea

US studies UN report Iran, NKorea sharing missile know-how

Iran denies sharing missile know-how with North Korea

Thales's Lightweight Multirole Missile to Enter Production

WAR REPORT
TiaLinx Announces Launch of Phoenix50-H

US drone attacks kill nine in Pakistan: officials

Cassidian and TAI agree on cooperation in the Talarion programme

US drone attack kills three in Pakistan: officials

WAR REPORT
Northrop Grumman Awarded Contract to Develop EHF SatComms Antenna for B-2 Bomber

Lockheed Martin To Produce Equipment For US Army Tactical On-The-Move Network

Emirates lofts satellite to boost military

LockMart Battle Command System Replaces US Army Legacy System

WAR REPORT
Iraq gets first of 420 Ukrainian APCs

Artillery Tested for Rapid Deployment

Azerbaijan MDI Expands Joint Production of Advanced Armoured Vehicles

ONR Propels Cutting-edge Technologies at Naval Helicopter Assocation Symposium

WAR REPORT
Britain puts duty to armed forces into law

Founder of Blackwater hires mercenaries for UAE: report

Russian Helicopters shelves IPO

Senators urge Obama to freeze Asian base overhaul

WAR REPORT
US, China bid to bolster military ties

US finally makes famed 'Pentagon Papers' public

US, China clash on rights but ease economic rift

US, China clash on rights but ease economic rift

WAR REPORT
MLD Test Moves Navy A Step Closer To Lasers For Ship Self-Defense

US Navy And Northrop Grumman Accomplish Goals For At-Sea Demonstration Of Maritime Laser

Scientists Build World's First Anti-Laser


The content herein, unless otherwise known to be public domain, are Copyright 1995-2010 - SpaceDaily. AFP and UPI Wire Stories are copyright Agence France-Presse and United Press International. ESA Portal Reports are copyright European Space Agency. All NASA sourced material is public domain. Additional copyrights may apply in whole or part to other bona fide parties. Advertising does not imply endorsement,agreement or approval of any opinions, statements or information provided by SpaceDaily on any Web page published or hosted by SpaceDaily. Privacy Statement