Free Newsletters - Space - Defense - Environment - Energy - Solar - Nuclear
..
. Military Space News .




NUKEWARS
N. Korea to pull workers from key joint industrial zone
by Staff Writers
Seoul (AFP) April 9, 2013


North Korea said Monday it was withdrawing all workers and suspending operations at a lucrative joint industrial zone with South Korea, blaming foreign "warmongers" at a time of acute tensions.

The announcement came amid reports of heightened activity at the North's nuclear test site, and at a missile battery, although the South Korean government denied suggestions that a fourth nuclear test was imminent.

North Korea "will withdraw all its employees" from the Kaesong industrial zone, Kim Yang-Gon, a senior ruling party official, said in a statement carried by the North's official Korean Central News Agency.

Pyongyang will also "temporarily suspend the operations in the zone and examine the issue of whether it will allow its existence or close it", Kim said of Kaesong, which sits 10 kilometres (six miles) inside North Korea.

Kaesong was built in 2004 as a rare symbol of cross-border economic cooperation. It is a crucial hard currency source for the impoverished North, through taxes and revenues, and from its cut of the 53,000 workers' wages.

Turnover in 2012 was reported at $469.5 million, with accumulated turnover since 2004 standing at $1.98 billion.

But Pyongyang has blocked South Korean access to Kaesong since Wednesday, forcing 13 of the 123 South Korean firms operating to halt production.

South Korea's unification ministry said the unilateral withdrawal "cannot be justified in any way and North Korea will be held responsible for all the consequences".

"The (South) Korean government will calmly but firmly handle North Korea's indiscreet action and we will do our best to secure the safety of our people and the protection of our property," a ministry spokesman said.

The US State Department said Monday that if North Korea did close the complex it would be "regrettable".

"It would not help them achieve their stated desire to improve their economy and better the lives of their people," acting deputy State Department spokesman Patrick Ventrell said at a press briefing.

More than 300 South Koreans have left Kaesong and returned to the South since North Korea banned access last week. The unification ministry said 475 South citizens were still staying at the complex as of Monday.

"How the situation will develop in the days ahead will entirely depend on the attitude of the South Korean authorities," said Kim, who blamed the pull-out on "military warmongers" who had affronted the North's "dignity".

The Korean peninsula has been locked in a cycle of escalating military tensions since the North's third nuclear test in February, which drew toughened UN sanctions.

The South's defence ministry said Monday that activity detected at the North's Punggye-ri atomic test site was "routine" and should not be interpreted as final preparation for another detonation.

"There is no indication that a nuclear test is imminent," ministry spokesman Kim Min-Seok said, while adding that the North consistently maintained Punggye-ri at a state of test-readiness.

The South's unification minister had appeared to confirm a report by the JoongAng Ilbo daily, which cited intelligence reports of stepped-up activity at the site. But he then insisted his remarks had been misinterpreted.

North Korea's bellicose rhetoric has reached fever pitch in recent weeks, with near-daily threats of attacks on US military bases and South Korea in response to ongoing South Korea-US military exercises.

Intelligence reports suggest Pyongyang has readied two mid-range missiles on mobile launchers on its east coast, and plans a test-firing before the April 15 birthday of late founding leader Kim Il-Sung.

A missile launch would be highly provocative, especially given the strong rebuke the North's sole ally China delivered on Sunday.

"No one should be allowed to throw a region, even the whole world, into chaos for selfish gains," President Xi Jinping told a high-powered business forum in southern China.

The United States, which has met the North's threats with some military muscle-flexing of its own, offered a calibrated concession Saturday by delaying a planned inter-continental ballistic missile test.

Russian President Vladimir Putin on Monday welcomed the decision to postpone the Minuteman 3 test, which the US had said it feared could be misconstrued as an attempt to exacerbate the air of crisis.

In turn, the White House on Monday praised efforts by Russia and China to ease the crisis with North Korea, after pushing both nations to use their influence to change the isolated state's behaviour.

"We welcome efforts by Beijing and Moscow to encourage Pyongyang to refrain from provocative rhetoric and threats," said White House spokesman Jay Carney.

"We will continue to work with our Chinese, Russian and other partners to get North Korea to abide by its international obligations," Carney said.

.


Related Links
Learn about nuclear weapons doctrine and defense at SpaceWar.com
Learn about missile defense at SpaceWar.com
All about missiles at SpaceWar.com
Learn about the Superpowers of the 21st Century at SpaceWar.com






Comment on this article via your Facebook, Yahoo, AOL, Hotmail login.

Share this article via these popular social media networks
del.icio.usdel.icio.us DiggDigg RedditReddit GoogleGoogle




Memory Foam Mattress Review
Newsletters :: SpaceDaily :: SpaceWar :: TerraDaily :: Energy Daily
XML Feeds :: Space News :: Earth News :: War News :: Solar Energy News





NUKEWARS
S. Koreans stirred but not shaken by North threat
Seoul (AFP) April 7, 2013
South Koreans are not immune to the anxiety generated by North Korea's toxic threats of nuclear war, but given that their country is the direct target of many of them, they seem remarkably unshaken. On the face of it, there's a fair bit to be concerned about. The South Korean capital Seoul lies just 50 kilometres (35 miles) from the border with the North - the world's last great Cold Wa ... read more


NUKEWARS
Japan deploys anti-North Korean missiles in Tokyo

US boosts missile defence, N. Korea warns of nuclear strike

US boosts missile defence, N. Korea warns of nuclear strike

US missile shield sent to Guam after N. Korea threat

NUKEWARS
S. Korea says North's missile launch may be imminent

N. Korea missile movements fuel tensions

Raytheon receives Rolling Airframe Missile contract

Taiwan to aim 50 medium-range missiles at China: report

NUKEWARS
India uses drones to fight rhino poaching

Gilat Showcases its Lightweight Compact Satellite Communications Solution for UAVs at LAAD 2013

French military considering purchase of US drones: source

US Congress hears calls for drone safeguards

NUKEWARS
Northrop Grumman Awarded U.S. Navy Contract to Upgrade, Enhance NGC2P Tactical Data Link Processor

Soldiers and Families Can Suffer Negative Effects from Modern Communication Technologies

DARPA Seeks More Robust Military Wireless Networks

DoD Selects Northrop Grumman for Joint Command and Control System

NUKEWARS
Lockheed Martin to Provide US Army with Simulation-Based Command and Battle Staff Training System

Cobra Judy Replacement radars perform exceptionally during first live-launch test

Lockheed Martin Demonstrates Gyrocam Sensor Maritime Capability with US Navy

Nanofoams could create better body armor

NUKEWARS
Lagardere launches sale of stake in EADS

Israeli defense industry eyes Turkey again

Hagel urges changes to US military judicial system

Late Indian PM Rajiv Gandhi linked to arms deal: report

NUKEWARS
China, Australia agree on annual PM meetings

Japan ex-PM Fukuda meets China's Xi amid tensions

China to open disputed islands to tourism: official

FBI interviews ex-CIA chief Petraeus: report

NUKEWARS
Imaging methodology reveals nano details not seen before

Glass-blowers at a nano scale

Nanoparticles show promise as inexpensive, durable and effective scintillators

Scientists develop innovative twists to DNA nanotechnology




The content herein, unless otherwise known to be public domain, are Copyright 1995-2014 - Space Media Network. AFP, UPI and IANS news wire stories are copyright Agence France-Presse, United Press International and Indo-Asia News Service. ESA Portal Reports are copyright European Space Agency. All NASA sourced material is public domain. Additional copyrights may apply in whole or part to other bona fide parties. Advertising does not imply endorsement,agreement or approval of any opinions, statements or information provided by Space Media Network on any Web page published or hosted by Space Media Network. Privacy Statement