Subscribe to our free daily newsletters
. Military Space News .




Subscribe to our free daily newsletters



North Korea Tells World Not To Follow US, Labels Sanctions "Declaration Of War"

China Says Border Fence With North Korea Not Due To Nuclear Test
Beijing (AFP) Oct 17 - China said Tuesday that a fence being erected along its border with North Korea was not linked to Pyongyang's recent nuclear test, but part of long-term plans to improve border control. "Since the 1990s... we have gradually been building up wire (fencing) and border patrol roads in boundary areas," foreign ministry spokesman Liu Jianchao told journalists when asked about the fence. "It is not appropriate for people to connect this with the current situation on the Korean peninsula."

South Korean and Western media reports have said China erected the barbed-wire fence shortly after North Korea conducted its first nuclear test on October 9. The aim was to prevent an exodus of refugees from the isolated state, the reports said. But Liu said China was not taking any extra border security measures along its more than 1,400-kilometer-long (870-mile) border with North Korea.

"The purpose is to improve the situation or condition for border control and to maintain good order in the control area, this is a normal construction activity," Liu said of the fence. "As for as we know the China-North Korea boundary area is quite normal, everything is normal." Locals in China's northeast city of Dandong, the major gateway to North Korea, said a section of the fence was being constructed for up to 40 kilometers along the Chinese side of the Yalu River that forms the border. However they said construction of the fence in the Dandong region began as early as February.

by Jun Kwanwoo
Seoul (AFP) Oct 17, 2006
North Korea warned the world Tuesday against following the United States in trying to enforce new UN sanctions, calling the measures a "declaration of war" and stressing it was ready for battle. In one of the North's harshest statements in years, Pyongyang rejected the sanctions imposed after it tested a nuclear bomb last week and lashed out at both the United States and the UN Security Council.

The announcement, dismissed by South Korean and US officials in Seoul as nothing new, came on the same day as Japanese and US media reports that the reclusive communist state may be planning a second test.

It underlined North Korea's unwillingness to bow to international pressure, which had been mounting for months before the Council's vote Saturday to punish it for testing a nuclear weapon.

"The DPRK (North Korea) wants peace but is not afraid of war," a foreign ministry spokesman said in the statement.

"We will deliver merciless blows without hesitation to whoever tries to breach our sovereignty and right to survive under the excuse of carrying out the UN Security Council resolution."

North Korea has repeatedly said the threat of attack from the United States is the reason for its nuclear arsenal.

Tuesday's statement said Washington had "instigated" the resolution, which was approved and co-sponsored by all 15 Council countries, and that the Council had overlooked US "hostility" to the North.

"This is an immoral behaviour utterly devoid of impartiality," said the unnamed spokesman, quoted by the North's official KCNA news agency.

"The UNSC 'resolution', needless to say, cannot be construed otherwise than a declaration of a war against the DPRK because it was based on the scenario of the US, keen to destroy the socialist system."

The statement warned the US it "would be well advised not to miscalculate."

"If the Bush group ... calculates that it can bring the DPRK to its knees through sanctions and pressure, pursuant to the already bankrupt hostile policy toward it, there would be nothing more ridiculous and foolish."

The statement came as Christopher Hill, the lead US negotiator on North Korea's nuclear programmes, arrived in South Korea for talks on firming up commitments to enforce the sanctions.

"I don't think it really contained anything new," Hill said, when asked his reaction. "Frankly I don't think it is particularly helpful to anybody, especially not helpful to North Korea."

"There are no surprises," said Chun Yung-Woo, Seoul's lead negotiator, before the talks with Hill and Russian negotiator Alexander Alexevev. He called it "the usual rhetoric that they have been using."

Hill also commented on reports of possible preparations for a second test.

"I think we would all regard a second test as a very belligerent answer on North Korea's part to the international community," he said. "I think the international community will respond very clearly to the DPRK on this."

The UN resolution calls on the North to give up all weapons of mass destruction, bans nations from sending heavy weapons or luxury goods to the North, and calls for a freeze on any of the North's weapons-related funds.

More controversially, it also allows for the inspection of cargo going in and out of North Korea.

Both China and South Korea, while insisting they back the sanctions, have indicated they do not want to be involved in intercepting North Korean ships -- a move they fear could make an already tense situation even worse.

Seoul reiterated Tuesday that sanctions should seek to pressure the North to resume negotiations and must not spark an armed clash.

Hill said the Proliferation Security Initiative, which was set up by the United States to intercept ships in a bid to stop the trafficking of weapons of mass destruction, and would be expanded under the sanctions, was voluntary.

He is laying the groundwork for Thursday's visit by US Secretary of State Condoleezza Rice, who will meet in Seoul with the foreign ministers of South Korea and Japan.

earlier related report
North Korea Stands Firm On Pressure
by Lee Jong-Heon - UPI Correspondent
Seoul (UPI) Oct 17 - In a furious response to the U.N. sanctions, North Korea Tuesday vowed to take "merciless" countermeasures against any nation that tries to squeeze the communist country, saying the United Nations' measure was a "declaration of war." Analysts in Seoul say the North's warning indicates it would take further steps, such as a second nuclear test or missile launches, to raise its stakes in the standoff with the United States.

It also reflects, they say, the North's fear that U.N. sanctions could topple the country's already tattered economy.

Over the weekend, the U.N. Security Council unanimously voted for a U.S.-drafted package of financial and weapons sanctions against North Korea, which carried out a nuclear test on Oct. 9 defying worldwide appeals and threats of punishment.

The resolution calls for all U.N. members to impose wide-ranging economic and diplomatic sanctions against North Korea -- from a prohibition on exports of luxury products for use by the North's ruling elite and a partial arms embargo to travel bans on officials involved in weapons development and financial moves to starve the country's military programs for cash.

In its first official response to the U.N. move, North Korea said it "vehemently" denounces and "totally refutes" the resolution, "a product of the U.S. hostile policy" toward the North.

The imposition of sanctions was "a declaration of war" and an undisguised move to "bring down" the North, Pyongyang's Foreign Ministry said in a statement, pledging to deal "merciless blows through strong actions" to whoever tries to "breach our sovereignty and right," said the statement carried by the North's state-run Korean Central News Agency.

"The DPRK (North Korea) wants peace but is not afraid of war. It wants dialogue but is always ready for confrontation," it said.

North Korea also vowed it would not bow to outside pressure. "If the Bush group ... calculates it can bring the DPRK to its knees through sanctions and pressure, pursuant to the already bankrupt hostile policy toward it, there would be nothing more ridiculous and foolish than its behavior," the statement said.

"It is quite nonsensical to expect the DPRK to yield to the pressure and threat of someone at this time when it has become a nuclear weapons state," it said.

"The United States would be well advised not to miscalculate the DPRK," the statement said, noting the North "will closely follow the future U.S. attitude and take corresponding measures."

It also defended the nuclear test as a "great deed" that "greatly contributed to defending peace and stability not only on the Korean peninsula but in the rest of Northeast Asia, as it demonstrated a powerful deterrent for coping with the U.S. nuclear threat and blackmail and foiling its attempt to ignite a new war."

The nuclear test was "a legitimate exercise of its sovereign right to defend the sovereignty of the country."

Analysts in Seoul said the North's statement indicates Pyongyang will take further military steps unless the United States retreats from its "hostile" stance against the communist country.

They predict the North's next steps may include a second nuclear test to win global recognition that it is armed with nuclear weapons, or the test-launch of a ballistic missile which could be equipped with a nuclear warhead. Another possible measure is the extraction of plutonium to make more nuclear bombs, they say.

Fueling the concerns, South Korean officials said Tuesday there were signs the North may be preparing a second nuclear test which could bring the Korean peninsula into a deeper security crisis.

"The North's statement seemed aimed at sending a warning of further physical actions ahead of a planned Asian visit by U.S. Secretary of State Condoleezza Rice," said Nam Sung-wook, a North Korea specialist at Korea University in Seoul.

Rice is to arrive in Seoul Thursday as part of a six-day visit that includes stops in Japan, South Korea, China and Russia. During the visit, Rice will "rally the support of our friends and allies" in the region in the punishment against North Korea.

Ahead of Rice's tour, the top U.S. nuclear envoy, Assistant Secretary of State Christopher Hill, flew to Seoul Tuesday to coordinate efforts to resolve tensions over North Korea's nuclear test.

Upon arriving in Seoul, Hill called on South Korea and China to form a united front against Pyongyang's nuclear ambition. "We need to work very hard with our partners and allies to implement the U.N. Security Council resolution," he told reporters.

Source: United Press International

Source: Agence France-Presse

Related Links
Learn about nuclear weapons doctrine and defense at SpaceWar.com
Learn about the Superpowers of the 21st Century at SpaceWar.com

US Warns North Korea Against Second Nuclear Test
Washington (AFP) Oct 17, 2006
The United States on Tuesday warned North Korea not to conduct a second nuclear weapons test and dismissed its claim that UN sanctions imposed after a first test amounted to a declaration of war. US Secretary of State Condoleezza Rice, bound for Asia and Russia to firm up support for enforcing those punitive measures, said a second test would "only deepen their isolation, which is pretty deep right now."







  • Landmark Foreign Policy Opinion Poll Criticized
  • Russia Asks US To Clarify Its Missile Defense Plans In Europe
  • Russia Bending To China Over Expectations On North Korea
  • Japan Looks To Landmark Military Role In North Korean Crisis

  • North Korea Tells World Not To Follow US, Labels Sanctions "Declaration Of War"
  • US Warns North Korea Against Second Nuclear Test
  • Rice Goes To Asia With Sweeping Plan For North Korea Cargo Inspections
  • New System Needed To Prevent New Nuclear Weapons States Says IAEA Chief

  • Command Destruct/Self Destruct Capability Tested In Surface-Launched AMRAAM
  • Raytheon Awarded US Army Contract For Wireless Precision Assault Missiles
  • Ukraine Seeks Missile Alliance With Israel
  • BAE Systems Inertial Measurement Unit Selected For New Air-to-air Missile

  • Aerojet Wins SLIRBM Engine Development Contract
  • Israel Probes Naval Missile Defense Failure
  • Raytheon Sensor Offers Air Force Early Missile Warning Alternative
  • Northrop Grumman Bids For Army Integrated Air And Missile Defense Battle Command System

  • China Marks 50th Anniversary Of Aerospace Industry
  • German-Chinese Aviation Opens New Horizons For Cooperation
  • GAO Report On Progress Of Implementing Aerospace Recommendations
  • US Air-Transportation System Must Become More Agile

  • Video Imagery Delivered To Military Forces In Urban Combat
  • AAI Corp Receives Unmanned Systems Contracts
  • US Air Force To Study A Pilotless U-2
  • Boeing Manned/Unmanned Light Helicopter Makes First Flight

  • Updated Iraq Survey Affirms Earlier Mortality Estimates
  • Assessing The New Iraqi Army In Late 2006
  • US Commander In Iraq Says No More Troops Needed Now
  • Winds Of Change In Iraq

  • Boeing Completes Successful FAB-T Preliminary Design Review
  • Lockheed Martin Rolls Out F-22 Slated For Operations In The Pacific Region
  • Portable 'Lab On A Chip' Could Speed Blood Tests For Soldiers
  • Lockheed Martin Awarded Contract For Global Combat Support System

  • The content herein, unless otherwise known to be public domain, are Copyright 1995-2006 - SpaceDaily.AFP and UPI Wire Stories are copyright Agence France-Presse and United Press International. ESA PortalReports are copyright European Space Agency. All NASA sourced material is public domain. Additionalcopyrights may apply in whole or part to other bona fide parties. Advertising does not imply endorsement,agreement or approval of any opinions, statements or information provided by SpaceDaily on any Web page published or hosted by SpaceDaily. Privacy Statement