by Staff Writers
Manila (AFP) Dec 09, 2014
President Benigno Aquino will go ahead with a visit to South Korea this week after the Philippines weathered its latest typhoon better than expected, his spokeswoman said Tuesday.
Aquino had earlier cancelled his December 11-12 attendance at the South Korea-ASEAN summit so he could better deal with the damage caused by Typhoon Hagupit which struck last weekend.
However spokeswoman Abigail Valte said reports on efforts to minimise the storm's effects had "consistently been encouraging".
She credited government preparations which included evacuating more than a million people from vulnerable areas before the storm hit.
"It is in light of this that President Aquino has decided to push through with the original plan to attend the... ASEAN-Republic of Korea Commemorative Summit" in Busan, she said.
She cited the growing relations between the Philippines and South Korea as well as the country's commitment to its fellow members in the Association of Southeast Asian Nations.
Aquino will continue monitoring relief and rehabilitation efforts while in South Korea, Valte added.
Hagupit, the strongest storm to hit the Philippines this year, left at least 27 people dead and devastated towns in the central islands before it departed the country on Tuesday.
But its toll has been remarkably light compared to other storms that hit the country. Super Typhoon Haiyan killed over 7,350 when it struck in November last year.
Learn about the Superpowers of the 21st Century at SpaceWar.com
Learn about nuclear weapons doctrine and defense at SpaceWar.com
|The content herein, unless otherwise known to be public domain, are Copyright 1995-2014 - Space Media Network. All websites are published in Australia and are solely subject to Australian law and governed by Fair Use principals for news reporting and research purposes. AFP, UPI and IANS news wire stories are copyright Agence France-Presse, United Press International and Indo-Asia News Service. ESA news reports are copyright European Space Agency. All NASA sourced material is public domain. Additional copyrights may apply in whole or part to other bona fide parties. Advertising does not imply endorsement, agreement or approval of any opinions, statements or information provided by Space Media Network on any Web page published or hosted by Space Media Network. Privacy Statement All images and articles appearing on Space Media Network have been edited or digitally altered in some way. Any requests to remove copyright material will be acted upon in a timely and appropriate manner. Any attempt to extort money from Space Media Network will be ignored and reported to Australian Law Enforcement Agencies as a potential case of financial fraud involving the use of a telephonic carriage device or postal service.|