. Military Space News .

Rival forces clash in Yemen capital
by Staff Writers
Sanaa (AFP) Sept 29, 2011

Fierce clashes erupted in Yemen's capital on Thursday between troops loyal to embattled President Ali Abdullah Saleh and forces led by defected General Ali Mohsen al-Ahmar, a day after tribesmen downed a warplane.

The firefights broke out in north Sanaa between forces from the elite Republican Guard, led by Saleh's son Ahmed, and soldiers from Ahmar's First Armoured Division, which provides protection for anti-Saleh protesters, witnesses said.

Republican Guard forces based in Amran Street were locked in a heavy exchange of fire with dissident troops deployed in Thalathine Street near Change Square where protesters demanding Saleh's ouster have camped for months, witnesses said.

They said heavy shelling believed to be coming from Republican Guard bases north of the capital was targeting a residential neighbourhood near state television, with residents pleading for help and to be spared.

Earlier on Thursday, loyalist troops clashed with Ahmar tribesmen in Al-Hasaba, in renewed fighting with the influential tribe whose leader Sheikh Sadiq al-Ahmar has sided with the protesters.

The gunbattle erupted a day after other tribesmen fighting the Republican Guard north of Sanaa shot down a fighter jet.

The military held opposition leaders responsible for downing the Sukhoi SU-22 near Arhab, 40 kilometres (26 miles) north of Sanaa, a region that is the northern gateway into Sanaa.

It also follows a large protest on Wednesday when hundreds of thousands of people demonstrated near Sanaa's Change Square, demanding Saleh's ouster and trial.

Saleh, who is under international pressure to relinquish power and allow new elections, returned to the country on Friday, sparking violence in which scores of people have been killed.

The 69-year-old president has repeatedly refused to sign a power transfer deal brokered by the Gulf Cooperation Council (GCC) under which he would hand over to Vice President Abdrabuh Mansur Hadi in return for immunity from prosecution.

Hadi warned on Wednesday of civil war in the troubled country, in a meeting with the ambassadors of the permanent member states of the UN Security Council, the European Union and the GCC.

He said the current high level of tension "poses a direct threat to the general situation" in Yemen, the state news agency Saba reported.

"If the situation explodes, the (GCC) initiative would end, as well as all (proposed) peaceful solutions, and Yemen would enter the danger zone of descending into civil war," he said.

In other unrest, one civilian was killed and five others were wounded in overnight bombing in Taez, Yemen's second largest city that is also the scene of continuing massive anti-Saleh protests.

Meanwhile, youth groups said they plan to march on Thursday from their encampment at Change Square in north Sanaa to the south of the city where Saleh's residence is located.

"There will be an escalation during the coming two days. The youths will march... to Hedda Street, where the president's residence is," Walid al-Amari, a leading activist from the youth revolution committee, told AFP.

He said protesters want a peaceful march and have asked the leadership of the defected First Armoured Division not to provide any armed protection that could provoke Saleh loyalists.

"We have asked the troops of the First Division not to accompany us," he said.

Related Links


Get Our Free Newsletters Via Email
Buy Advertising Editorial Enquiries

NATO denies any drop-off in Libya operations
Brussels (AFP) Sept 28, 2011 - NATO denied on Wednesday that it had reduced its operations over Libya after the new regime urged the alliance to intensify air strikes against forces loyal to ousted leader Moamer Kadhafi.

"NATO has not reduced its activity in Libya," said Colonel Roland Lavoie, the air campaign's military spokesman, noting that alliance aircraft had conducted at least 100 sorties per day in the past few days.

"The number of strikes depends on the danger against the civilian population, in conformity with our mandate," Lavoie told AFP in an email.

Anti-Kadhafi forces urged NATO to step up the air war as they took heavy losses in a push on the ousted despot's birthplace of Sirte and his other remaining bastion, Bani Walid.

Lavoie, however, said NATO was operating under a UN mandate to protect civilians from attacks, not provide air cover for the National Transitional Council.

"We do not aim to bring support to NTC forces on the ground, this is why there is no operational coordination with NTC forces," he said.

According to NATO's latest operations figures, aircraft conducted 100 sorties on Tuesday, including 35 missions aimed at spotting potential targets, but only one hit was reported against an ammunition and vehicle storage facility.

. Comment on this article via your Facebook, Yahoo, AOL, Hotmail login.

Share this article via these popular social media networks
del.icio.usdel.icio.us DiggDigg RedditReddit GoogleGoogle

Fears over mass spread of Libya weapons
Tripoli (AFP) Sept 27, 2011
From teenagers brandishing Kalashnikov rifles on the streets of Tripoli to fighters with shoulder-mounted grenade launchers on Libya's front lines, rarely has a country seen so many weapons in so many hands. And the proliferation of arms - raided from the vast stores of ex-strongman Moamer Kadhafi - is raising fears not only for Libya's future stability, but also that the weapons will fall ... read more

Russia renews demands for missile shield 'guarantees'

Northrop Grumman Receives Systems Engineering Contract for MDA Precision Tracking Space System

NATO commander visits Turkey for talks on missile defence

Turkey's NATO radar to protect arch-foe: Iran

Iran equips marine forces with 'cruise' missile

Boeing CHAMP Missile Completes First Flight Test

India tests nuclear-capable missile

Lockheed Martin Delivers 400th HIMARS Launcher to US Army

AeroVironment Receives Order from USAF for Raven UAS

Militants flee US drone strike in Pakistan: officials

Block 10 Global Hawks Complete Air Force Service Ahead Of New Mission Deployment

Drone attack kills 10 Qaeda suspects in south Yemen

NRL TacSat-4 Launches to Augment Communications Needs

Northrop Grumman Tech Pivotal in US Marine Corps' MTAOM Command and Control System

Proton-M puts military purpose spacecraft into orbit

Russia launches military satellite after delay

Israeli bunker-busters cause Mideast alarm

Elbit Systems to Supply the Israeli MoD with Cardom Systems

Groundbreaking Radar Pinpoints Impact of Rapid Shell Fire for US Navy and Army

Tactical Air Defense Services' Super Tucano Aircraft Delivered and Flying

Thales solidifies South American footprint

Defense optronics market set for growth

Brazil in 'urgent' need of fighter jets: minister

Brazil arms industry growth draws Boeing

US a 'committed partner and friend' of China: Clinton

Outside View: America's most testing epoch

China unlikely to break US military dialogue: admiral

China wants to go own way in Pacific: US official

Boeing and BAE Systems to Develop Integrated Directed Energy Weapon for US Navy

Memory Foam Mattress Review
Newsletters :: SpaceDaily Express :: SpaceWar Express :: TerraDaily Express :: Energy Daily
XML Feeds :: Space News :: Earth News :: War News :: Solar Energy News

The content herein, unless otherwise known to be public domain, are Copyright 1995-2011 - Space Media Network. AFP and UPI Wire Stories are copyright Agence France-Presse and United Press International. ESA Portal Reports are copyright European Space Agency. All NASA sourced material is public domain. Additional copyrights may apply in whole or part to other bona fide parties. Advertising does not imply endorsement,agreement or approval of any opinions, statements or information provided by Space Media Network on any Web page published or hosted by Space Media Network. Privacy Statement