Free Newsletters - Space - Defense - Environment - Energy - Solar - Nuclear
by Staff Writers
Damascus (AFP) Feb 4, 2013
Syria's opposition chief urged President Bashar al-Assad on Monday to respond positively to a call for dialogue and to delegate his deputy to end 22 months of warfare that has cost tens of thousands of lives.
"The ball is now in the regime's court. They will either say yes or no," Ahmed Moaz al-Khatib told pan-Arab channel Al-Jazeera, following up on his surprise announcement last week that he was ready for talks with the Damascus regime -- subject to conditions, including the release of 160,000 detainees.
He later elaborated, telling Al-Arabiya news channel he was ready to meet Assad's deputy, Vice President Faruq al-Sharaa.
"Since the start of the crisis, Mr Sharaa has seen that things are not going in the right direction," said Khatib. "If the regime accepts the idea, I ask it to delegate Faruq al-Sharaa for us to hold discussions with him."
Assad last month announced he was ready for talks with the opposition but ruled out meeting groups such as Khatib's National Coalition which back armed rebels seeking to overthrow his regime.
Opposition groups, including the National Coalition, have in the past demanded Assad step down before peace talks can begin.
"Doctor Bashar, this country is in grave danger, come out of your bubble, if only for a moment. Look into the eyes of your children and you will recover some of your humanity," Khatib said, addressing Assad by the term adopted by state media and his supporters.
"We can help each other in the interest" of the people, Khatib said.
"The regime needs to take a clear position. We will extend our hands for the sake of the people, and in order to help the regime leave in peace."
Some opposition figures have denounced Khatib's proposal as traitorous.
But he rejected the criticism and said: "Our people are dying, and we will not allow that."
His comments came as Iranian Foreign Minister Ali Akbar Salehi said Tehran would continue talks with Khatib following a preliminary meeting Sunday on the sidelines of a security conference in the southern German city of Munich.
"We had 45 (minutes) to an hour discussion which was very fruitful... and we committed ourselves to continuing this discussion," Salehi said in Berlin.
Khatib also meet in Munich on Sunday with Russian Foreign Minister Sergei Lavrov, who while expressing an interest in "maintaining regular contact" with the opposition, said the dissidents' insistence on Assad going was "the main reason for the continuation of the Syrian tragedy."
-- Israel will 'regret' strike on Syria --
Adding to the latest flurry of diplomatic activity, another Iranian official, Saeed Jalili, the head of his country's Supreme National Security Council, was in Damascus on Monday where he renewed Tehran's support for Assad.
Jalili also issued a warning to Israel after the Jewish state confirmed an air strike near Damascus, saying it would regret its latest "aggression against Syria".
"Just as it has regretted all its wars... the Zionist entity will regret its aggression against Syria," Jalili said. "Syria is at the forefront of the Muslim world's confrontation with the Zionist entity."
Israeli Defence Minister Ehud Barak has implicitly confirmed that the Jewish state staged the air strike on Syria, following reports of a raid which Damascus said targeted a military complex near the capital.
On Monday, his Syrian counterpart Fahd al-Freij said the Israeli raid was nothing more than "retaliation" for successful army operations against rebels, who he branded "tools" of the Jewish state.
"When the Israeli enemy saw that its tools were being pursued, it responded to our military operations against armed groups," Freij told state television.
The January 30 air strike targeted surface-to-air missiles and an adjacent military complex believed to house chemical agents, according to a US official.
Fresh violence on Monday killed at least 81 people across Syria, including six children who died as regime warplanes raided the outskirts of the rebel-held town of Douma near Damascus, the Syrian Observatory for Human Rights said.
And a three-year-old child and his 17-year-old brother were killed in army shelling of the northern province of Raqa, while at least 13 insurgents died in fierce battles in parts of Damascus province, said the Britain-based watchdog.
|The content herein, unless otherwise known to be public domain, are Copyright 1995-2014 - Space Media Network. AFP, UPI and IANS news wire stories are copyright Agence France-Presse, United Press International and Indo-Asia News Service. ESA Portal Reports are copyright European Space Agency. All NASA sourced material is public domain. Additional copyrights may apply in whole or part to other bona fide parties. Advertising does not imply endorsement,agreement or approval of any opinions, statements or information provided by Space Media Network on any Web page published or hosted by Space Media Network. Privacy Statement|