Subscribe to our free daily newsletters
. Military Space News .




Subscribe to our free daily newsletters



MILTECH
US court blocks Trump's military transgender ban
By Chris Lefkow
Washington (AFP) Oct 30, 2017


A federal judge temporarily blocked President Donald Trump's ban on transgender personnel from serving in the US military on Monday.

US District Judge Colleen Kollar-Kotelly ordered the government to "revert to the status quo" that was in effect before Trump ordered the contentious ban.

At the same time, however, she allowed to let stand a block on military funding for sex reassignment surgery for members of the armed forces.

Trump's predecessor Barack Obama took the historic decision to allow openly transgender troops to serve in the military, a move that was due to go into full effect in July this year.

The new administration announced in June a six-month delay on implementing that ruling. In July, Trump surprised Pentagon leaders by announcing on Twitter a ban on transgender people serving in the armed forces.

"After consultation with my Generals and military experts, please be advised that the United States Government will not accept or allow Transgender individuals to serve in any capacity in the U.S. Military," Trump tweeted.

"Our military must be focused on decisive and overwhelming victory and cannot be burdened with the tremendous medical costs and disruption that transgender in the military would entail."

In her ruling, Kollar-Kotelly took issue with Trump's claims.

"The Department of Defense Working Group, made up of senior uniformed officers and senior civilian officers from each military department, unanimously concluded that there were no barriers that should prevent transgender individuals from serving in the military," the judge said.

"In short, the military concerns purportedly underlying the president's decision had been studied and rejected by the military itself."

- Ruling welcomed by rights groups -

Trump signed a document in late August ordering the Pentagon to no longer enlist transgender recruits but leaving it to decide the fate of those already serving.

The president also barred federal funds from being used to cover the costs of medical treatment associated with gender reassignment surgery of troops already serving.

He gave the Pentagon until March 23, 2018 to craft a new policy on transgender service members.

The lawsuit against the president's order was filed by five transgender service members in August, citing the uncertainty that surrounded their future careers.

Estimates about the number of transgender people serving in the US military vary from 1,320 up to 15,000, out of 1.5 million active duty troops.

An attorney for the American Civil Liberties Union, which is battling the ban, predicted that Trump's moves would face further legal opposition.

"This is the first decision striking down President Trump's ban, but it won't be the last," ACLU senior staff attorney Joshua Block said in a statement.

"The federal courts are recognizing what everyone already knows to be true: President Trump's impulsive decision to ban transgender people from serving in the military service was blatantly unconstitutional," Block said.

"We will continue to work to ensure that transgender service members are treated with the equal treatment they deserve."

The ACLU has filed a separate lawsuit arguing that Trump's ban violates the constitutional guarantee of equal protection by authorizing discriminatory treatment.

Human Rights Campaign, an LGBT advocacy group, welcomed the judge's ruling, which is expected to be appealed by the Trump administration.

"Today's preliminary injunction is an important step in the ongoing efforts to protect transgender service members from the dangerous and discriminatory policies of Donald Trump," HRC legal director Sarah Warbelow said in a statement.

"Donald Trump's erratic tweets and half-baked orders disrespect the bravery of the countless transgender people who have fought, and in many cases died, for their country," Warbelow said.

"We are grateful that a federal judge has blocked this administration from discharging any qualified individuals because of their gender identity while these cases continue to make their way through the courts."

MILTECH
Lockheed gets Air Force production order for Paveway II kits
Washington (UPI) Oct 25, 2017
Follow-on production of Paveway II plus Laser-Guided Bomb Kits is to be conducted by Lockheed Martin under a $131 million Air Force contact. The award is the ninth consecutive year the company has been chosen for most of the kits for the service and U.S. allies. "The U.S. Air Force and its foreign military sales partners realize significant savings in their defense budgets with o ... read more

Related Links
The latest in Military Technology for the 21st century at SpaceWar.com


Thanks for being here;
We need your help. The SpaceDaily news network continues to grow but revenues have never been harder to maintain.

With the rise of Ad Blockers, and Facebook - our traditional revenue sources via quality network advertising continues to decline. And unlike so many other news sites, we don't have a paywall - with those annoying usernames and passwords.

Our news coverage takes time and effort to publish 365 days a year.

If you find our news sites informative and useful then please consider becoming a regular supporter or for now make a one off contribution.

SpaceDaily Contributor
$5 Billed Once


credit card or paypal
SpaceDaily Monthly Supporter
$5 Billed Monthly


paypal only

Comment using your Disqus, Facebook, Google or Twitter login.

Share this article via these popular social media networks
del.icio.usdel.icio.us DiggDigg RedditReddit GoogleGoogle

MILTECH
Report: Japan eyeing SM-6 missiles for defense program

Lockheed Martin missile defense sensor technology receives prototyping contract

Lockheed Martin to develop missile defense tools under DoD deal

South Korea takes control of THAAD missile defense system

MILTECH
Lithuania buys Norwegian air defence system amid Russia fears

'How to survive a N. Korean missile' - in Japanese manga form

Italy to receive additional AGM-88E guided missiles

State Department approves sale of AMRAAM missiles to Netherlands

MILTECH
New RoboBee flies, dives, swims and explodes out the of water

Insitu awarded $9.2M for parts, sustainment of RQ-21A

Drone Aviation awarded contract for Enhanced WASP Tactical Aerostat from US Defense Dept

GA-ASI in cooperative agreements with South Korean entities

MILTECH
82nd Airborne tests in-flight communication system for paratroopers

NRL clarifies valley polarization for electronic and optoelectronic technologies

Harris supplying tactical radios to Navy, Marines

SES GS to Provide More MEO-enabled SATCOM Solutions for U.S. Government

MILTECH
State Department approves Kuwaiti M1A1 tank deal

Lockheed gets Air Force production order for Paveway II kits

Automated Processes Drive Down Costs Increase Precision of Critical Military Containers

Northrop Grumman receives $13 million contract for munition system development

MILTECH
Lockheed, Navantia renew collaborative agreement

Philippines' Duterte receives Russian assault rifles

Whistleblower protection bill sent to President as complaints of retaliation grow

UK defence giant BAE Systems to axe almost 2,000 jobs

MILTECH
China's new leadership: Ageing men seen as no threat to Xi

US releases Russian defense firms sanctions list

Trump congratulates Xi after Chinese leader tightens grip on power

NATO challenges Russia on military drill numbers

MILTECH
Terahertz spectroscopy goes nano

Nanotube fiber antennas as capable as copper

New technique produces tunable, nanoporous materials

Jumping nanoparticles




Memory Foam Mattress Review
Newsletters :: SpaceDaily :: SpaceWar :: TerraDaily :: Energy Daily
XML Feeds :: Space News :: Earth News :: War News :: Solar Energy News






The content herein, unless otherwise known to be public domain, are Copyright 1995-2017 - Space Media Network. All websites are published in Australia and are solely subject to Australian law and governed by Fair Use principals for news reporting and research purposes. AFP, UPI and IANS news wire stories are copyright Agence France-Presse, United Press International and Indo-Asia News Service. ESA news reports are copyright European Space Agency. All NASA sourced material is public domain. Additional copyrights may apply in whole or part to other bona fide parties. All articles labeled "by Staff Writers" include reports supplied to Space Media Network by industry news wires, PR agencies, corporate press officers and the like. Such articles are individually curated and edited by Space Media Network staff on the basis of the report's information value to our industry and professional readership. Advertising does not imply endorsement, agreement or approval of any opinions, statements or information provided by Space Media Network on any Web page published or hosted by Space Media Network. Privacy Statement