Military Space News, Nuclear Weapons, Missile Defense
MILTECH

Denmark to add 5,000 military positions

by AFP Staff Writers
TECHNOLOGY NEWS
Commercial UAV Expo | Sept 2-4, 2025 | Las Vegas

Copenhagen (AFP) April 23, 2025
Denmark on Wednesday announced it would add 5,000 positions to its military in the next eight years, including setting up a new infantry battalion, as the defence minister highlighted the "deteriorating" security the country faces.

The defence ministry said a new infantry battalion would be created to ensure a "continuous military presence" on the strategic island of Bornholm in the Baltic Sea.

"We live in uncertain times, where it is important to be able to defend Denmark in a situation where security is deteriorating, and here we have given special consideration to Bornholm," Defence Minister Troels Lund Poulsen said.

The government announced in February that it would add 50 billion kroner ($7 billion) over the next two years to its defence spending because of the increased threat from Russia.

The additional funds will bring Denmark's defence spending to three percent of gross domestic product (GDP).

The defence ministry said that the number of military staff -- troops and civilian workers -- would rise from 23,000 to 28,000. Danish media reported that the additional 5,000 included military and civilian positions.

Bornholm island, south of the Swedish coast, is considered strategic as it needs to be passed to exit the Baltic Sea.

Earlier this week the government announced a deal with opposition parties to strengthen the Danish Navy "to improve maritime surveillance and enforcement of sovereignty at sea".

The agreement included buying four marine environment and mine-laying vessels, as well as 21 vessels for the Danish Home Guard. They are expected to cost four billion kroner ($607 million).

Bornholm island, south of the Swedish coast, is considered strategic as it needs to be passed to exit the Baltic Sea.

Tensions have mounted around the Baltic since Russia's invasion of Ukraine in February 2022.

In January, NATO announced the launch of a Baltic Sea patrol mission, Baltic Sentry, to secure critical underwater infrastructure.

In February Prime Minister Mette Frederiksen cited a need to "rearm massively to avoid war."

Frederiksen's comments came after US President Donald Trump rattled European nations and Kyiv by opening talks with Moscow.

The US president has also raised doubts about Washington's commitment to NATO by demanding that European countries take more responsibility for their own defence.

Trump has strained relations with Denmark by repeatedly signalling that he wants control over Greenland -- an autonomous Danish territory.

Related Links
The latest in Military Technology for the 21st century at SpaceWar.com



MILTECH
Nordics, Lithuania plan joint purchase of combat vehicles
Stockholm (AFP) April 22, 2025
Sweden, Finland, Norway and Lithuania plan to beef up military capabilities around the Baltic Sea with a joint order for several hundred CV90 combat vehicles, Swedish Prime Minister Ulf Kristersson said Tuesday. Kristersson made the announcement at a joint press conference in Stockholm with his Lithuanian counterpart Gintautas Paluckas, following talks between the two. "Our focus right now is on a potential coordinated acquisition of the CV90 infantry fighting vehicles with Sweden, Lithuania, Fi
MILTECH
Israeli military says 'likely' intercepted missile launched from Yemen

L3Harris boosts US defense with expanded satellite facility in Indiana

Ukraine ready to buy 'at least' 10 Patriot systems from US: Zelensky

Zelensky tells NATO chief Ukraine has 'acute' need of air defences

MILTECH
Yemen's Huthis say US strikes on Sanaa kill at least 12

Houthi rebels launch rare missile attack on northern Israel

Yemen's Huthi media says US air strikes hit Sanaa

Germany sending Taurus missiles to Ukraine risks 'escalation': Kremlin

MILTECH
Russian drone strike kills 9 in Ukraine bus, governor says

Changing face of war puts Denmark on drone offensive

Ukrainian drone strike kills one in Russia's Kursk: authorities

Israel says intercepts drone claimed by Huthis

MILTECH
HRL and Boeing advance quantum satellite communications milestone

Armed Forces Network to reduce radio programs next month

US says China satellite company aiding attacks by Yemen's Huthis

Finland developing device to counter alleged Russian satellite jamming

MILTECH
Nordics, Lithuania plan joint purchase of combat vehicles

Germany leads allies in $24B military aid package for Ukraine

Finland to leave anti-personnel mine treaty

Trump nominee says to press UK on Israel arms

MILTECH
Spain to hike defence spending to 2% of GDP in 2025: PM

China says 'never provided lethal weapons' to parties in Ukraine war

US urges France to take lead on European defense

Hegseth cuts $5.1B in spending on 'wasteful' Pentagon consulting contracts

MILTECH
Rubio: U.S. 'done' with Ukraine-Russia peace talks if progress not made`

Francis, a pope for the internet age

Trump tariffs torch chances of meeting with China's Xi

Media hails 'groundbreaking' Pope Francis

MILTECH


Buy Advertising Editorial Enquiries

The content herein, unless otherwise known to be public domain, are Copyright 1995-2018 - Space Media Network. AFP, UPI and IANS newswire stories are copyright Agence France-Presse, United Press International and Indo-Asia News Service. ESA Portal Reports are copyright European Space Agency. All NASA sourced material is public domain. Additional copyrights may apply in whole or part to other bona fide parties. Advertising does not imply endorsement,agreement or approval of any opinions, statements or information provided by Space Media Network on any Web page published or hosted by Space Media Network. Privacy Statement