Military Space News, Nuclear Weapons, Missile Defense
NUKEWARS

Iran TV shows missile base after paramilitary march against 'threats'

by AFP Staff Writers
TECHNOLOGY NEWS
Commercial UAV Expo | Sept 2-4, 2025 | Las Vegas

Tehran (AFP) Jan 10, 2025
Iranian state TV on Friday showed the commander of the Islamic Revolutionary Guard Corps touring an underground missile base used in an attack against Israel, hours after fighters marched through Tehran.

The footage of the missile base at an undisclosed location "in the mountains" and the parade by paramilitary Basij volunteers come after the weakening of Iran's allies Hezbollah in Lebanon and Hamas in the Gaza Strip, during wars with Israel.

They also come days before US President-elect Donald Trump is due to take office. During his first term, he oversaw the killing of Revolutionary Guards commander Qasem Soleimani in a drone strike in Iraq, and reinstated sanctions on Tehran after pulling out from a landmark nuclear deal.

State TV showed Guards chief Hossein Salami visiting the missile base, which the report said has "dozens" of different types of missiles and was used during Iran's second ever direct attack on regional foe Israel late last year.

The Iranian missile attack on Israel in October was in stated retaliation for the killing of Tehran-aligned militant leaders in the region, along with a general in Iran's Revolutionary Guards.

On Friday, thousands of Basij fighters, which are linked to the Revolutionary Guards, paraded with heavy weapons and vehicles through the streets of Tehran, showing their readiness to face "threats".

Vehicles mounted with rocket launchers, artillery and naval commandos moved through the streets. Fighters in combat gear marched on foot with rocket launchers, and black-clad women carried rifles.

Some dragged coffins decorated with Israeli flags, as flags of Hezbollah flew along with Iranian and Palestinian banners.

A Guards commander, General Mohammadreza Naghdi, singled out Iran's enemies the United States and Israel during the gathering.

The United States, he said, was "behind all the misfortune in the Muslim world".

As for Israel, "if we are able to destroy the Zionist regime and withdraw the American bases in the region, one of our big problems will be resolved," he said.

The Guards' commander for the capital, General Hassan Hassanzadeh, told state television that one aim of the rally was to "support the population of Gaza and Palestine".

Supporting the Palestinian cause has been a pillar of Iranian foreign policy since the 1979 Islamic revolution.

"We also want to show that the Basij are ready to confront all threats from enemies of the Islamic revolution," Hassanzadeh said.

Related Links
Learn about nuclear weapons doctrine and defense at SpaceWar.com
Learn about missile defense at SpaceWar.com
All about missiles at SpaceWar.com
Learn about the Superpowers of the 21st Century at SpaceWar.com



NUKEWARS
Iran begins military drills near Natanz nuclear site: state media
Tehran (AFP) Jan 7, 2025
Iran's military has begun drills near the Natanz nuclear enrichment plant in the centre of the country, state media reported Tuesday, as part of exercises planned nationwide. The drills - dubbed Eqtedar, or "might", in Farsi - have involved the Islamic Revolutionary Guard Corps (IRGC), the ideological branch of Iran's military, alongside the army. "The first phase of the joint Eqtedar exercises in the air defense zone of the Natanz nuclear facility has commenced under the orders of the air d
NUKEWARS
Raytheon awarded $946M contract to deliver additional Patriot Defense Systems

Philippines rejects China's criticism of US missile plan

Lockheed Martin demonstrates missile defense capability for Guam in key test

PAC-3 demonstrates advanced integration in successful defense test

NUKEWARS
North Korea fires short-range ballistic missiles into sea

CENTCOM conducts first attack targeting Houthi rebels of 2025

Israel military says missile from Yemen intercepted

Russia says Ukraine fired US-made missiles at Belgorod region

NUKEWARS
German police probe drone sightings over military sites

Britain-led coalition to send Ukraine 30K drones

Myanmar military adopts anti-junta fighters' drone tactics

Elbit Systems to provide advanced counter UAS solution for NATO member

NUKEWARS
Controversy in Italy over potential deal with Musk's SpaceX

Quadsat and NATO NCIA validate Quadsat system for WGS compliance testing

ESA to support development of secure EU communications satellite constellation

IRIS2 contract signed to strengthen Europe's space connectivity and security

NUKEWARS
US. unveils $500M in military aid at final Ukraine defense summit before Trump takes office

US announces $5.9 bn in military, budget aid for Ukraine

Software-driven smart munitions reshape tactical drone operations

UK and Australia to supply military equipment to Kyiv

NUKEWARS
Germany opposes Trump call to raise NATO defence spending to 5% of GDP

China saw record trade with Russia in 2024: customs data

Europe doubts Trump could make NATO spend 5% of GDP on defence

New chairman takes over Dassault billionaire family holding

NUKEWARS
Outgoing US ambassador to Japan takes parting shot at China

American leadership on Ukraine 'critical': US defence chief

EU, UK, NATO leaders to hold Feb 3 defence talks

Chinese artist cashes in on Buddha-like Trump statues

NUKEWARS
New Technique Enables Mass Production of Metal Nanowires



Buy Advertising Editorial Enquiries

The content herein, unless otherwise known to be public domain, are Copyright 1995-2024 - Space Media Network. AFP, UPI and IANS newswire stories are copyright Agence France-Presse, United Press International and Indo-Asia News Service. ESA Portal Reports are copyright European Space Agency. All NASA sourced material is public domain. Additional copyrights may apply in whole or part to other bona fide parties. Advertising does not imply endorsement,agreement or approval of any opinions, statements or information provided by Space Media Network on any Web page published or hosted by Space Media Network. Privacy Statement