Military Space News, Nuclear Weapons, Missile Defense
SUPERPOWERS
US defense chief tells Pentagon to sharpen focus on China
by AFP Staff Writers
TECHNOLOGY NEWS
Commercial UAV Expo | Sept 2-4, 2025 | Las Vegas

Washington (AFP) June 9, 2021
US Defense Secretary Lloyd Austin directed the Pentagon on Wednesday to sharpen its focus on China, which the United States has tagged as its top strategic rival.

"Now, it is up to the Department to get to work," Austin said after issuing an internal directive to the giant Pentagon bureaucracy.

The directive, details of which are classified, comes after an assessment by a task force established by the new Biden administration in February to study the Defense Department's strategy towards China.

"The initiatives I am putting forward today are nested inside the larger US government approach to China and will help inform the development of the National Defense Strategy we are working on," Austin said.

A senior defense official said the task force had identified a "'say-do' gap between the stated prioritization of China and what we saw in a number of areas related to attention and resources and processes."

"The directive today is really about ensuring that the department lives up to that prioritization," the official said.

Austin said the directive will "improve the Department's ability to revitalize our network of allies and partners, bolster deterrence, and accelerate the development of new operational concepts, emerging capabilities, future force posture, and a modernized civilian and military workforce."

Pentagon operations over the past two decades have been focused largely on dealing with jihadist militants in the Middle East and not a modern army such as that of China.

The Pentagon's 2018 National Defense Strategy identified China as a major strategic competitor but the task force found that not much had been done to meet the challenges posed by Beijing.

The US military is currently seeking to expand its presence in the Pacific at a time when China has been increasingly belligerent towards Taiwan, which it considers part of its territory.

The United States maintains a significant presence in the Middle East, even as it has begun the withdrawal of its remaining 2,500 US troops in Afghanistan.

To ensure that his directive is followed, Austin will be personally responsible for the implementation of the classified recommendations of the task force.

Pentagon directives follow task force input on security concerns from China
Washington DC (UPI) Jun 9, 2021 - Defense Secretary Lloyd Austin's directive on Wednesday calls for addressing security concerns based on input from the Defense Department's China Task Force.

The 15-member task force was comprised of high-level Pentagon officials and led by Ely Ratner, who was named to serve as the Pentagon's top official on Asia Pacific affairs.

President Joe Biden announced its formation in February in his first visit to the Pentagon as president, noting that it was established to make recommendations to Austin "on key priorities and decision points so that we can chart a strong path forward on China-related matters."

Biden called the task force's work a "look at our strategy and operational concepts, technology and force posture, and so much more."

Its two-fold mission was an examination of the Defense Department's China-related policies and processes, and development of a set of top priorities and recommended courses of action.

The United States faces growing evidence that China is expanding its military force and capabilities, according to government officials.

Although many of the initiatives are classified, a senior Defense official identified a "say-do gap," a reference to failing to practice prevailing policy, between a U.S. objective to counter Chinese aggression and its efforts to meet that goal, as a recommended change.

The task force conducted hundreds of interviews and reviewed thousands of pages of policies, analysis and intelligence before submitting its report to the Defense Secretary in April, the directive's announcement on Wednesday said.

"I want to thank everyone on the task force for their hard work and the skill they lent to what was a sprint-like effort," Austin said in the statement announcing the initiatives. "I especially want to note the leadership of Dr. Ely Ratner, who superbly organized and managed this body of work. Now, it is up to the Department to get to work."

Related Links
Learn about the Superpowers of the 21st Century at SpaceWar.com
Learn about nuclear weapons doctrine and defense at SpaceWar.com



SUPERPOWERS
Guterres tapped for second term as UN chief
United Nations, United States (AFP) June 8, 2021
The United Nations Security Council on Tuesday approved Secretary General Antonio Guterres for a second term, with conflict resolution set to top his agenda at the world body's helm. The 72-year-old former prime minister of Portugal has held the office since 2017 and faced no competition for the next term in the job. Around 10 other people also sought the post, but they were not formal candidates because none of the 193 UN member states endorsed them. During a brief closed door session the S
SUPERPOWERS
USS Paul Ignatius fires Standard Missile-3 interceptors in test

MDA test does not intercept target

First modernized SBIRS Missile Warning Satellite under Space Force control

ULA postpones launch of missile detection satellite

SUPERPOWERS
Defense Dept.: U.S. accelerating hypersonic missile development

USS Ross conducts live-fire missile test in NATO exercises

Surveillance planes test Harpoon missiles in NATO exercise

French frigate downs supersonic missile in NATO exercise

SUPERPOWERS
Two drones shot down above Iraq base housing US troops: army

Boeing's MQ-25 T1 becomes first drone to refuel aircraft mid-air

THOR hammers drones in new video animation

AFWERX Agility Prime partners with Kitty Hawk in first medical evacuation exercise

SUPERPOWERS
Isotropic Systems and SES GS complete trials for of new connectivity for US Military

Quantum communication in space moves ahead

Bad connections: US-China defense relations mired in call dispute

SES Government Solutions provides medium earth orbit satellite services for combatant command

SUPERPOWERS
GAO urges DOD to update weapon programs cost oversight

Oshkosh Defense wins potential $942.9M contract for Stryker armaments

Marine Corps ends involvement in tank warfare

N.C. National Guard unit first to use new Army M109A7 Paladin howitzer

SUPERPOWERS
Fall in French arms sales blamed on pandemic

Israel says military exports hit $8.3 bn in 2020

Austin, Milley say $715B defense budget is ample for DoD's needs

GAO report: Lack of data causing delays in military spare parts contracts

SUPERPOWERS
NATO chief warns of 'new dangers' from Russia-China ties

Biden leaves Washington to meet allies -- then Putin

NATO chief Stoltenberg calls for more investment ahead of summit

US Senate greenlights huge innovation bill to counter China

SUPERPOWERS
Nano-Bio Materials Consortium introduces new AFRL-Industry Co-Development Program

Nanostructured device stops light in its tracks

Scientists use DNA technology to build tough 3D nanomaterials

New "metalens" shifts focus without tilting or moving



Buy Advertising Editorial Enquiries

The content herein, unless otherwise known to be public domain, are Copyright 1995-2018 - Space Media Network. AFP, UPI and IANS newswire stories are copyright Agence France-Presse, United Press International and Indo-Asia News Service. ESA Portal Reports are copyright European Space Agency. All NASA sourced material is public domain. Additional copyrights may apply in whole or part to other bona fide parties. Advertising does not imply endorsement,agreement or approval of any opinions, statements or information provided by Space Media Network on any Web page published or hosted by Space Media Network. Privacy Statement