. Military Space News .
NUKEWARS
At-loss China accepts unified Korea: WikiLeaks

Japan's top North Korea envoy to visit China Tuesday
Tokyo (AFP) Nov 30, 2010 - Japan will send its top North Korea envoy to China on Tuesday, where he will meet with his Chinese counterpart Wu Dawei, the foreign ministry said. "Akitaka Saiki, chief of the Asian and Oceanian Affairs Bureau, will visit China from Tuesday and exchange opinions with Wu Dawei, special representative on the Korean Peninsular Affairs," the ministry said in a statement. Tensions have spiked on the divided peninsula after the North last week shelled a South Korean border island, killing four people and wounding 18 in the first bombardment of a civilian area in the South since the Korean war. China, Pyongyang's sole major ally, on Sunday proposed "emergency consultations" in Beijing early next month among chief envoys to the stalled six-nation talks on Pyongyang's nuclear disarmament. It has stressed that the proposal did not constitute a formal resumption of the negotiations, but says it hopes they would lead to such a resumption soon.

Japan has expressed reluctance over the talks, saying it cannot be "positive towards consultations" unless the North faces up to its responsibility for the attack and its nuclear activities. The White House on Monday brushed aside China's call for new six-nation talks on North Korea, saying it would amount to "PR activity" unless Pyongyang changed its behaviour. South Korea and Russia are also involved in the six-party talks but Washington has urged North Korea to stop what it describes as provocative behaviour before they can resume. Details of a meeting between Japanese Foreign Minister Seiji Maehara, South Korea's Foreign Affairs and Trade Minister Kim Sung Hwan, and US Secretary of State Hillary Clinton, were also under discussion Tokyo said Tuesday. "This is an initiative taken by State Secretary Clinton," Chief Cabinet Secretary Yoshito Sengoku told reporters. "I hear that its schedule is being arranged now. The Japanese government will take part in it proactively and hopes that the meeting will deepen the cooperation among Japan, South Korea and the United States in more specific and practical ways."
by Staff Writers
Washington (AFP) Nov 29, 2010
China, long viewed as North Korea's protector, increasingly doubts its own influence and would support the peninsula's reunification if the regime collapses, leaked US documents said Monday.

Over an expansive dinner last year, the Chinese ambassador to Kazakhstan revealed that Beijing considers North Korea's nuclear program to be "very troublesome," according to a memo obtained by whistle-blower site WikiLeaks.

Ambassador Cheng Guoping "said China hopes for peaceful reunification in the long-term, but he expects the two countries to remain separate in the short-term," said the leaked cable by US Ambassador Richard Hoagland and reprinted by Britain's The Guardian newspaper.

In another cable reproduced by The New York Times, a Chinese official whose name was removed said that Beijing believed North Korea had "gone too far" after carrying out its second nuclear test and firing a missile.

The official told a US diplomat "that Chinese officials had expressed Chinese displeasure to North Korean counterparts and had pressed (North Korea) to return to the negotiation table," it said.

"Unfortunately," the Chinese official was quoted as saying, "those protests had had no effect."

"'The only country that can make progress with the North Koreans is the United States,'" the Chinese official was quoted as saying.

WikiLeaks has outraged the US government with its massive release of sensitive data. The memos became public a week after North Korea shelled a South Korean border island, killing four people and sending tensions soaring.

The standoff comes as North Korea's reclusive leader Kim Jong-Il, who has suffered a stroke, prepares to hand over power to his little-known youngest son Kim Jong-Un, who is believed to be in his late 20s.

Dai Bingguo, China's state councilor, is quoted in a cable as telling US officials after a visit to Pyongyang that Kim Jong-Il had lost weight but "appeared to be in reasonably good health and still had a 'sharp mind.'"

Kim said he still drank alcohol, saying that only scheduling problems stopped the North Korean leader from partaking with his guest in one of his legendary drinking sessions, according to the cable.

Many US experts believe that China wants to preserve the status quo on North Korea, fearing that a collapse would trigger a flood of refugees and bring a united and US-allied Korea to its border.

But senior South Korean official Chun Yung-Woo is quoted in a cable as saying that more "sophisticated" Chinese officials have come to believe that North Korea "has little value to China as a buffer state" since its first nuclear test in 2006.

Chun also said that South Korea believed that North Korea "had already collapsed economically" and would "collapse politically" two to three years after Kim's death.

Chun, who was then vice foreign minister and is now national security adviser, said that China "had far less influence on North Korea than most people believe."

"Beijing had 'no will' to use its economic leverage to force a change in Pyongyang's policies and the (North Korean) leadership knows it," he said.

However, another cable quoted a Chinese official who "discounted strongly any suggestion that the system would collapse once Kim Jong-Il disappeared."

The unnamed official "cautioned that US experts should not assume North Korea would implode after Kim Jong-Il's death," it said.



Share This Article With Planet Earth
del.icio.usdel.icio.us DiggDigg RedditReddit
YahooMyWebYahooMyWeb GoogleGoogle FacebookFacebook



Related Links
Learn about nuclear weapons doctrine and defense at SpaceWar.com
Learn about missile defense at SpaceWar.com
All about missiles at SpaceWar.com
Learn about the Superpowers of the 21st Century at SpaceWar.com



Memory Foam Mattress Review
Newsletters :: SpaceDaily :: SpaceWar :: TerraDaily :: Energy Daily
XML Feeds :: Space News :: Earth News :: War News :: Solar Energy News


NUKEWARS
US calls for tighter sanctions on North Korea
United Nations (AFP) Nov 29, 2010
The United States on Monday called for tighter enforcement of UN sanctions against North Korea and urged China to play a "responsible" role in easing mounting tensions. The United States will "confront the threat" posed by North Korea's new nuclear activities and its deadly attack last week on the rival South, the US ambassador to the United Nations, Susan Rice, told reporters. The UN Se ... read more







NUKEWARS
Russia made no missile defence offer to NATO: ambassador

NATO rebuffs Russian missile defense offer: report

Medvedev wants missile defence carve-up of Europe: reports

McCain: 'Waste no time' on missile shield

NUKEWARS
NATO mulls missile cooperation with Russia

Raytheon Rolling Airframe Missile Block 2 Completes Key Flight Test

Lockheed Martin's JAGM Hits Target From 6 Kilometers

Tehran has defences against cruise missiles: Iran

NUKEWARS
Pakistani tribesman 'to sue CIA' over drone strike deaths

US drone attack kills three militants in Pakistan: officials

US drone attack kills three militants in Pakistan: officials

Aurora Flight Sciences Rolls Out Orion UAS

NUKEWARS
Codan Receives JITC Certification For 2110 HF Manpack

Northrop Grumman Bids for Marine Corps Common Aviation CnC

DSP Satellite System Celebrates 40 Years

ManTech Awarded US Army Contract To Provide ECCS In Afghanistan

NUKEWARS
US Reservists Clear Path For Air Force Largest Rocket

Rheinmetall And Sikorsky Present Cyclone Naval Helicopter

Robots To Rescue Wounded On Battlefield

Myanmar now the only active landmine user: campaigners

NUKEWARS
EADS wont rule out protest over mix-up

Nigerian court charges Iranian over arms cache

Russia, NATO agree on armoured vehicles transfers: Lavrov

Nigeria says latest arms shipment from Belgium

NUKEWARS
Bush bashes WikiLeaks as he pushes memoir online

US diplomats asked to spy on foreign dignitaries: WikiLeaks

China concerned on Security Council moves: WikiLeaks

US slams WikiLeaks 'attack' as new memos drop

NUKEWARS
Boeing Installing Beam Control System On HEL Laser Demonstrator

Maritime Laser System Shows Higher Lethality At Longer Ranges

Northrop Grumman To Increase Efficiency For Next-Gen Military Laser Technology

Boeing Receives Task Order For Design Of Free Electron Laser Lab Demonstrator


The content herein, unless otherwise known to be public domain, are Copyright 1995-2010 - SpaceDaily. AFP and UPI Wire Stories are copyright Agence France-Presse and United Press International. ESA Portal Reports are copyright European Space Agency. All NASA sourced material is public domain. Additional copyrights may apply in whole or part to other bona fide parties. Advertising does not imply endorsement,agreement or approval of any opinions, statements or information provided by SpaceDaily on any Web page published or hosted by SpaceDaily. Privacy Statement