. Military Space News .
NUKEWARS
China media takes pro-Pyongyang tone over shelling

by Staff Writers
Beijing (AFP) Nov 24, 2010
Chinese state media coverage of the Korean peninsula shelling incident avoided criticising Beijing's close ally Pyongyang on Wednesday and even said the episode showed North Korea's "toughness".

North Korea fired a deadly barrage of artillery shells onto a South Korean island on Tuesday in one of the most serious border incidents since the 1950-1953 war, sparking global condemnation of Pyongyang.

China's official response has so far been relatively tepid, however, while state media have largely avoided pointing the finger at North Korea and taken an occasionally pro-Pyongyang tone.

"North Korea showed its toughness during the skirmish," the Global Times said in an editorial that also criticised the "failure of the hard-line policies" of the current South Korean government toward its northern neighbour.

Amid growing pressure for Beijing to rein in its close ally, China's only official response has come from a government spokesman who on Tuesday expressed "concern", while saying Beijing sought to "verify" what took place.

Chinese news accounts of the shelling, which provoked retaliatory South Korean fire, also refrained from assigning blame but highlighted North Korean claims that South Korea triggered the exchange.

A report in the People's Daily, the Communist Party's print mouthpiece, led off with Pyongyang's assertion that Seoul suddenly began bombarding North Korean territory in a "reckless military provocation".

A front-page subheading on the English-language China Daily read: "DPRK accuses ROK of firing first," using the acronyms for the official names of North and South Korea.

Coverage of the incident on China Central Television, the Communist government's main broadcast mouthpiece, included prominent play for a North Korean news broadcast railing at South Korea and threatening retaliation.

The official Xinhua news agency, meanwhile, questioned how the exchange of fire started.

"Though Seoul blamed Pyongyang for military provocations, there is still no way to confirm who started the shelling attack," it said in a report on the United States and South Korea agreeing to hold joint military exercises soon.

China avoids criticising North Korea despite numerous provocations over the years by Pyongyang.

Experts say Beijing's approach is guided by a desire to prop up the regime of Kim Jong-Il out of fear that its collapse could spark a flood of refugees into China.

It also wants to check US influence in the region, and fears that an eventual unified Korean peninsula would be dominated by South Korea's US-allied government.

China also refrained from joining world condemnation of North Korea after it was blamed for a torpedo attack on the South Korean Cheonan naval ship earlier this year that killed 46 sailors.

It refused to endorse the findings of an international panel that said North Korea was to blame, saying it would instead conduct its own inquiry. But it has given no updates on any results from its probe.



Share This Article With Planet Earth
del.icio.usdel.icio.us DiggDigg RedditReddit
YahooMyWebYahooMyWeb GoogleGoogle FacebookFacebook



Related Links
Learn about nuclear weapons doctrine and defense at SpaceWar.com
Learn about missile defense at SpaceWar.com
All about missiles at SpaceWar.com
Learn about the Superpowers of the 21st Century at SpaceWar.com



Memory Foam Mattress Review
Newsletters :: SpaceDaily :: SpaceWar :: TerraDaily :: Energy Daily
XML Feeds :: Space News :: Earth News :: War News :: Solar Energy News


NUKEWARS
Shell-shocked survivors of N.Korean attack tell of terror
Incheon, South Korea (AFP) Nov 24, 2010
Stunned survivors of North Korea's artillery strike against a remote island recounted the shelling Wednesday to a nation furious and on edge over one of the worst attacks since the Korean War. The discovery of two dead civilians among the blackened rubble on Yeonpyeong island raised the toll to four and heightened the rage, as street protesters burnt the North Korean flag and newspapers call ... read more







NUKEWARS
Medvedev wants missile defence carve-up of Europe: reports

McCain: 'Waste no time' on missile shield

Israel Unveils Newest Anti-Missile System

NATO agrees on Europe-wide missile defence system

NUKEWARS
Lockheed Martin's JAGM Hits Target From 6 Kilometers

Raytheon Rolling Airframe Missile Block 2 Completes Key Flight Test

Tehran has defences against cruise missiles: Iran

JASSM-ER Test Flights Highlight Outstanding Development Effort

NUKEWARS
US missiles kill five as Pakistan drone war escalates

US drone strike kills four militants in Pakistan: officials

Kestrel Supports Project NANKEEN In Afghanistan

Multi-Purpose UAVs To Get NG STARLite Radars

NUKEWARS
Codan Receives JITC Certification For 2110 HF Manpack

Northrop Grumman Bids for Marine Corps Common Aviation CnC

DSP Satellite System Celebrates 40 Years

ManTech Awarded US Army Contract To Provide ECCS In Afghanistan

NUKEWARS
LockMart Receives Contract To Produce Paveway II Enhanced Laser Guided Trainings Rounds

Raytheon Awarded US Navy Bomb Rack Contract

Face shields could help US troops avoid brain injury: study

New MRAP Ambulance Prototypes Many Improvements

NUKEWARS
Russian 'arms king' and Moscow's secrets

US military sidelines officials over tanker error

Russia sells Su-35s to China

Boeing Delivers US Navy's 10th C-40A Derivative Aircraft

NUKEWARS
NATO is 'mafia' and Obama a 'snake charmer': Castro

Can cash-strapped Europe pay for NATO's grand ambition?

NATO, Russia bury 'ghosts of the past'

US had plans to 'take over' Azores in 1975: archives

NUKEWARS
Boeing Installing Beam Control System On HEL Laser Demonstrator

Maritime Laser System Shows Higher Lethality At Longer Ranges

Northrop Grumman To Increase Efficiency For Next-Gen Military Laser Technology

Boeing Receives Task Order For Design Of Free Electron Laser Lab Demonstrator


The content herein, unless otherwise known to be public domain, are Copyright 1995-2010 - SpaceDaily. AFP and UPI Wire Stories are copyright Agence France-Presse and United Press International. ESA Portal Reports are copyright European Space Agency. All NASA sourced material is public domain. Additional copyrights may apply in whole or part to other bona fide parties. Advertising does not imply endorsement,agreement or approval of any opinions, statements or information provided by SpaceDaily on any Web page published or hosted by SpaceDaily. Privacy Statement