Military Space News
NUKEWARS
Iran's Revolutionary Guards begin military drills in Strait of Hormuz

Iran's Revolutionary Guards begin military drills in Strait of Hormuz

by AFP Staff Writers
Tehran (AFP) Feb 16, 2026

Iran's Islamic Revolutionary Guard Corps on Monday began a series of military exercises in the Strait of Hormuz, state media reported, on the eve of talks with the United States.

The war games, the duration of which was not specified, aim to prepare the Guards for "potential security and military threats" in the strait, state TV said, after the United States deployed a large naval force to the area.

Iranian hardline politicians have repeatedly threatened to block the strait, especially during times of heightened tensions with the United States, but it has never been closed.

Around a quarter of all seaborne oil and a fifth of the world's liquified natural gas transit through the strait, according to the International Energy Agency.

The exercises, overseen by Guards chief General Mohammad Pakpour, aim to bolster the IRGC's ability to react quickly, Iranian media reported. The Guards are the ideological arm of Iran's military.

The Guards initiated the drills from Abu Musa Island -- Iran's southernmost territorial point -- with Pakpour saying forces built "a strong fortress all around the island," according to state television.

The report said island-based units in the Gulf can act without mainland support, with missiles able to "destroy enemy destroyers within a radius of 1,000 kilometres."

It also showed a blurred video of a drone, but avoided giving operational details, which remained classified.

The drills were taking place as Tehran and Washington prepared for a new round of talks in Geneva on Tuesday, mediated by Oman. It also comes at a time of heavy US military deployment in the region.

The decades-long adversaries resumed negotiations on February 6 in Oman, their first since diplomacy collapsed last June when Israel sparked a 12-day war with surprise strikes on Iran, which the United States briefly joined to strike Iranian nuclear facilities.

US President Donald Trump has been pressuring Iran to reach an agreement, especially with recent US naval force deployments to the region that he has described as an "armada".

After sending the aircraft carrier USS Abraham Lincoln and escort battleships to the Gulf in January, Trump said on Friday that a second supercarrier, the Gerald R. Ford, would depart "very soon" for the Middle East.

On Monday, IRGC navy official Mohammad Akbarzadeh warned that all foreign ships in the region were "under full intelligence surveillance and within the reach of our defence power".

"The armed forces are fully prepared, monitoring the enemy's movements and never ignoring threats," the state-run IRNA news agency reported him saying.

Related Links
Learn about nuclear weapons doctrine and defense at SpaceWar.com
Learn about missile defense at SpaceWar.com
All about missiles at SpaceWar.com
Learn about the Superpowers of the 21st Century at SpaceWar.com

Subscribe Free To Our Daily Newsletters
Tweet

RELATED CONTENT
The following news reports may link to other Space Media Network websites.
NUKEWARS
Iran president says will not 'give in to excessive demands'; What is going on with Iran-US talks?
Tehran (AFP) Feb 11, 2026
Iranian President Masoud Pezeshkian said Wednesday that his country would "not yield to excessive demands" on its nuclear programme, after Tehran resumed talks with the United States. He also said Iran was ready for "any verification" of its nuclear programme and insisted it was not seeking an atomic weapon. Iran and the United States resumed negotiations last week for the first time since the war with Israel last June that saw the US conduct strikes on nuclear sites in Iran. "Our Iran will ... read more

NUKEWARS
Leonardo DRS infrared payloads selected for SDA Tracking Layer Tranche 3

AST SpaceMobile secures role on MDA SHIELD defense architecture

Greenland is helpful, but not vital, for US missile defense

Netanyahu says Israel won't let Iran restore ballistic missile programme

NUKEWARS
Raytheon advances next generation short range interceptor with ballistic test

Russian strikes kill 4, wound two dozen in Ukraine

Japan and US agree to expand cooperation on missiles, military drills

Russia claims Oreshnik missile hit Ukrainian aviation plant

NUKEWARS
Raytheon demonstrates recoverable Coyote system against drone swarms

Drones, sirens, army posters: How four years of war changed a Russian city

Drone attacks on Ethiopia's restive Tigray kill one

Poland signs deals for 'Europe's most modern' anti-drone system

NUKEWARS
Balerion backs Northwood to tackle ground bottlenecks in expanding space economy

Aalyria spacetime platform tapped for AFRL space data network trials

W5 Technologies LEO payload extends MUOS coverage into polar and remote theaters

Eutelsat orders 340 new OneWeb LEO satellites from Airbus

NUKEWARS
Lockheed ramps up THAAD interceptor output with new framework deal and Camden facility

US to launch $12-bn critical minerals stockpile to ease China reliance

Japan, Philippines agree military resupply deal

Cyviz awarded two classified NATO defense contracts for mission critical visualization systems

NUKEWARS
China's top general probe to 'remove obstacles' in military: state media

Ukraine, Norway, Sweden top destinations for German arms exports

German intelligence says Russian military spending far higher than reported

India budget pledges record infrastructure and defence boost

NUKEWARS
As Greenland storm passes, US allies focus on stepping up in NATO

The Decline and Fall of Donald Trump

US cuts leave Ukraine aid at record low: think tank

China's Xi calls for 'orderly' world in talks with Uruguay leader

NUKEWARS
Engineered substrates sharpen single nanoparticle plasmon spectra

Subscribe Free To Our Daily Newsletters




The content herein, unless otherwise known to be public domain, are Copyright 1995-2024 - Space Media Network. All websites are published in Australia and are solely subject to Australian law and governed by Fair Use principals for news reporting and research purposes. AFP, UPI and IANS news wire stories are copyright Agence France-Presse, United Press International and Indo-Asia News Service. ESA news reports are copyright European Space Agency. All NASA sourced material is public domain. Additional copyrights may apply in whole or part to other bona fide parties. All articles labeled "by Staff Writers" include reports supplied to Space Media Network by industry news wires, PR agencies, corporate press officers and the like. Such articles are individually curated and edited by Space Media Network staff on the basis of the report's information value to our industry and professional readership. Advertising does not imply endorsement, agreement or approval of any opinions, statements or information provided by Space Media Network on any Web page published or hosted by Space Media Network. General Data Protection Regulation (GDPR) Statement Our advertisers use various cookies and the like to deliver the best ad banner available at one time. All network advertising suppliers have GDPR policies (Legitimate Interest) that conform with EU regulations for data collection. By using our websites you consent to cookie based advertising. If you do not agree with this then you must stop using the websites from May 25, 2018. Privacy Statement. Additional information can be found here at About Us.