. Military Space News .
Pentagon seeks urgent funding for massive bunker busting bomb

"This program is an effort to satisfy an urgent operational need for the Massive Ordnance Penetrator, a 30,000 pound (13,608 kilogram) GPS guided penetrator weapon on B-2 for hard and deeply buried" targets, the air force's request budget said.
by Staff Writers
Washington (AFP) Oct 24, 2007
Citing an "urgent operational need," the Pentagon is seeking funds to modify B-2 stealth bombers to deliver an experimental 30,000 pound (13.6 tonne), satellite-guided bunker busting bomb, officials said Wednesday.

The likely purpose of the new weapon is to strike Iran's underground nuclear facilities, experts said.

"It raises a red flag," said Representative Jim Moran, a Democrat from Virginia who called for hearings on the request. "My immediate assumption is that it is a target in Iran, rather than Iraq or Afghanistan."

The air force has asked Congress for nearly 88 million dollars to complete development of the so-called Massive Ordnance Penetrator and modify B-2 bombers so that they can deliver it, an air force spokeswoman said.

"This program is an effort to satisfy an urgent operational need for the Massive Ordnance Penetrator, a 30,000 pound (13,608 kilogram) GPS guided penetrator weapon on B-2 for hard and deeply buried" targets, the air force's request budget said.

The item was buried in a 42.3 billion dollar request for "war on terror" funding submitted by the administration last week, raising suspicions about the rush to field what would be the largest satellite guided conventional bomb in the US arsenal.

"It's a capability that has some relation to the capabilities in the Centcom AOR," a senior defense official said, referring to the US Central Command's area of responsibility.

"You have buried targets, particularly in Afghanistan, that you are concerned about," the official told reporters last week, referring to cave systems that insurgents have used in Afghanistan.

But some experts believe the bomb, also known as "Big Blue," was developed with Iran's deeply buried nuclear facilities in mind.

"I do know they got interested in this around the time the Iranians began backfilling the large uranium enrichment facility at Natanz," said John Pike, director of GlobalSecurity.Org, which follows military issues.

The bomb is currently under development by Boeing under a "technology demonstrator" contract with the Defense Threat Reduction Agency that concludes this fiscal year.

A first test was conducted in March at White Sands Missile Range in New Mexico using a "statically emplaced conventional weapon within a DTRA tunnel," according to the agency.

Tests from a B-52 bomber are planned for next month and in July 2008, the agency said in a fact sheet on the bomb.

Pike described the bomb as "a big dart. It's basically just a long skinny pointy chunk of steel."

Its massive weight would drive the weapon through rock and reinforced concrete, he said. Fuzes could be used to detonate the explosives as it breaks through a ceiling into a void.

The Defense Threat Reduction Agency said the MOP is approximately 20.5 feet (6.25 meters) long, with a 31.5-inch (80 centimeter) diameter and a total weight of slightly less than 30,000 pounds.

"The weapon will carry over 5,300 pounds (2,404 kilograms) of explosive material and will deliver more than 10 times the explosive power of its predecessor, the BLU-109," it said.

It has been designed to be carried inside B-52 and B-2 Stealth bombers.

The funding request includes 83.5 million dollars to continue development of the weapon and 4.2 million dollars to modify the B-2s so that they can carry it, an air force spokeswoman said.

The biggest US bunker busting bomb now in the US arsenal is the 5,000 pound (2,3 tonne) GBU-28.

The biggest US conventional bomb is the 21,000 pound (9.5 tonne) Massive Ordnance Air Blast Bomb, also known as the Mother of All Bombs. MOAB is a demolition bomb that explodes on the surface.

Community
Email This Article
Comment On This Article

Related Links



Memory Foam Mattress Review
Newsletters :: SpaceDaily :: SpaceWar :: TerraDaily :: Energy Daily
XML Feeds :: Space News :: Earth News :: War News :: Solar Energy News


Caspian States Adopt Declaration On Repelling Aggressors
Tehran (RIA Novosti) Oct 17, 2007
The five Caspian Sea littoral states adopted a declaration at their second summit on Tuesday in Tehran, pledging to deny access to third countries who intend to use force against any Caspian state. "The parties stress that they will not allow other countries to use their territories for acts of aggression or other military operations against any party," the declaration reads. The signatories pledged efforts to build and enhance mutual confidence, regional security, and stability, and to refrain from the use of force in solving mutual problems.







  • Analysis: U.S. vs. Russia on all fronts
  • Putin boast of 'grandiose' military plans no cause for alarm: Gates
  • USS Fort McHenry Mission To Set Tone For US Africa Command
  • Walker's World: Inflating Russian reality

  • NKorea to beat nuclear disablement deadline: official
  • 'New, constructive ideas' in Iran nuclear talks: negotiator
  • Ahmadinejad sticks to nuclear defiance after talks
  • Iran "perhaps single greatest" security risk to US: Rice

  • India test fires nuclear-capable missile
  • Taiwan has not completed cruise missile tests: legislator
  • Russia Announces Successful Topol Ballistic Missile Test
  • Russian Military Chief Says No Need To Give Up INF Treaty

  • Outside View: Russia, U.S. may deal on BMD
  • US proposes Russian presence at Czech and Polish missile sites
  • Bush: Europe need for missile shield is 'urgent'
  • Japan tells Russia no backing down on missiles

  • Airbus superjumbo takes off on first commercial flight
  • Solar Telescope Reaches 120,000 Feet On Jumbo-Jet-Sized Balloon
  • Third Maritime Surveillance System For Canada
  • Airbus US boss demands end to WTO "histrionics"

  • Boeing Tests HALE Hydrogen Propulsion System Using Ford-Developed Engine
  • Boeing Completes 200th P-8A Live-Fire Shot
  • Orbital Awarded 38 Million Dollar Contract By US Navy For Coyote Sea-Skimming Target Vehicles
  • Global Hawk Passes Fuel Test

  • US diplomatic security chief resigns after Blackwater row
  • US acts to rein in Iraq security firms
  • White House sends Congress expanded war funding request
  • Iraqi President Says Large-Scale Turkish Incursion Impossible

  • Device Technologies Spring-Fast Wire Protection System To Equip Eurofighter Typhoon Combat Aircraft
  • Dozens of SKorean jets grounded over safety concerns
  • Egypt Orders E-2C Airborne Early Warning Command and Control Aircraft
  • Outside View: The case for Land Warrior

  • The content herein, unless otherwise known to be public domain, are Copyright 1995-2006 - SpaceDaily.AFP and UPI Wire Stories are copyright Agence France-Presse and United Press International. ESA PortalReports are copyright European Space Agency. All NASA sourced material is public domain. Additionalcopyrights may apply in whole or part to other bona fide parties. Advertising does not imply endorsement,agreement or approval of any opinions, statements or information provided by SpaceDaily on any Web page published or hosted by SpaceDaily. Privacy Statement