Main points of draft UN sanctions resolution on Iran
UNITED NATIONS, Dec 22 (AFP) Dec 23, 2006
The following are the main points of the latest draft resolution put forward by France, Britain and Germany Friday and calling for targeted UN sanctions against Iran over its refusal to halt sensitive nuclear fuel work.
- all enrichment-related and reprocessing activities, including research and development, to be verified by the IAEA (International Atomic Energy Agency).
- work on all heavy water-related projects, including the construction of a research reactor moderated by heavy water, also to be verified by the IAEA.
- all states shall take necessary measures to prevent the supply, sale or transfer directly or indirectly from their territories or by their nationals ... of all items, materials, equipment, goods and technology which could contribute to Iran's nuclear and ballistic missile programs.
- all states shall freeze the funds, other financial assets and economic resources which are on their territories ... that are owned by the persons or entities designated in the annex, as well as those of additional persons or entities designated by the Security Council ... as being engaged in, directly associated with or provided support for Iran's proliferation sensitive nuclear activities or the development of nuclear weapon delivery systems.
-- expressed the conviction that suspension of Iran's uranium enrichment would contribute to a diplomatic, negotiated solution that guarantees the program is for exclusively peaceful purposes.
-- requests that within 60 days a report from the Director-General of the UN nuclear watchdog agency IAEA "on whether Iran has established full and sustained suspension of all activities mentioned in this resolution, as well as on the process of Iranian compliance with all the steps required by the IAEA Board and with the other provisions of this resolution, to the IAEA Board and in parallel to the Security Council".
-- Affirms that:
- it shall terminate the sanctions in this resolution as soon as it determines that Iran has fully complied with its obligations under relevant Security Council resolutions and met the requirements of the IAEA board of governors.
- it shall, in the event that Iran has not complied with this resolution, adopt further appropriate measures under Article 41 of Chapter Seven of the UN charter to persuade Iran to comply with this resolution and the requirements of the IAEA, and underlines that further decisions will be required should such additional measures be necessary.All rights reserved. © 2005 Agence France-Presse. Sections of the information displayed on this page (dispatches, photographs, logos) are protected by intellectual property rights owned by Agence France-Presse. As a consequence, you may not copy, reproduce, modify, transmit, publish, display or in any way commercially exploit any of the content of this section without the prior written consent of Agence France-Presse.