Military strikes against Iran no longer an option: IAEA chief
PARIS, Feb 20 (AFP) Feb 20, 2009
UN nuclear watchdog chief Mohamed El Baradei says in an interview to be broadcast Sunday that he believed the possibility of a military solution to the Iran nuclear crisis had been ruled out.
"I believe so," he said when asked if he thought that after US President George W. Bush stood down it was no longer likely that there would be a military strike.
"Force can only be used as a last option... when all other political possibilities have been exhausted. I don't think we've done that yet," he told Radio France International and TV5-Monde.
The comments came a day after International Atomic Energy Agency said Iran was continuing to enrich uranium, a key stage in the atom bomb making process, but had slowed down the expansion of its enrichment activities.
The IAEA report conceded that, despite six years of intensive investigation, it was no closer to determining whether Iran's disputed nuclear drive is as peaceful as Tehran claims.All rights reserved. © 2005 Agence France-Presse. Sections of the information displayed on this page (dispatches, photographs, logos) are protected by intellectual property rights owned by Agence France-Presse. As a consequence, you may not copy, reproduce, modify, transmit, publish, display or in any way commercially exploit any of the content of this section without the prior written consent of Agence France-Presse.