SpaceWar.com - Your World At War
Russia 'repelled' Ukraine attacks overnight amid truce: defence ministry
Moscow, April 20 (AFP) Apr 20, 2025
Russia said Sunday that its forces had retaliated after Ukraine attempted attacks overnight despite an Easter truce announced by Russian President Vladimir Putin.

The defence ministry said in a briefing that "despite the announcement of the Easter truce, Ukrainian units at night made attempts to attack Russian positions in the areas of Sukhaya Balka and Bogatyr in the Donetsk People's Republic, which were repelled."

The ministry was referring to the villages of Sukha Balka and Bagatyr in the Russian-held part of the eastern Donetsk region.

Moscow said Ukraine also attacked the Bryansk, Kursk and Belgorod border regions of Russia, saying that "as a result there are dead and wounded civilians".

When announcing the truce Saturday, Putin told troops to respond militarily to any violation of the truce.

Ukrainian President Volodymyr Zelensky said Ukraine would comply with the truce but that troops would also respond "symmetrically" to any attacks.

On Sunday Zelensky said Russian attacks were ongoing.

The Russian ministry said its own troops had from 1500 GMT on Saturday "strictly observed the ceasefire and stayed at the front lines and positions they previously occupied".

The Russian defence ministry accused Ukraine of launching "48 drones including one in Crimea", annexed by Russia in 2014.

Ukrainian units "444 times shelled... the positions of our troops and carried out 900 strikes with drones", the ministry added.


ADVERTISEMENT




Space News from SpaceDaily.com
Study revisits chances of detecting alien technosignatures
Hypersonica completes milestone hypersonic missile flight test in Norway
NASA teams set for second Artemis II wet dress rehearsal

24/7 Energy News Coverage
US renews threat to leave IEA
Environmental groups sue Trump administration over scrapped climate rule
Turkey fires up coal pollution even as it hosts COP31

Military Space News, Nuclear Weapons, Missile Defense
Facing US warnings, Iran defends right to nuclear enrichment
Airbus says will back two new European fighter jets 'if clients request'
US to withdraw all troops from Syria: reports

24/7 News Coverage
'Unprecedented' emissions maps will hone mitigation
Sudan's historic acacia forest devastated as war fuels logging
Deadly Indonesia floods force a deforestation reckoning



All rights reserved. Copyright Agence France-Presse. Sections of the information displayed on this page (dispatches, photographs, logos) are protected by intellectual property rights owned by Agence France-Presse. As a consequence, you may not copy, reproduce, modify, transmit, publish, display or in any way commercially exploit any of the content of this section without the prior written consent of Agence France-Presse.