SpaceWar.com - Your World At War
Iran FM sees 'window of opportunity' in fresh US nuclear talks
Geneva, Feb 17 (AFP) Feb 17, 2026
Iran's top diplomat voiced hope Tuesday that "a new window of opportunity" seen in fresh nuclear talks with Washington would lead to a lasting solution to the two countries' stand-off.

The Omani-mediated talks in Geneva aimed at averting the possibility of US military action, while Tehran is demanding the lifting of Washington's sanctions, which are crippling its economy.

"A new window of opportunity has opened," Iranian Foreign Minister Abbas Araghchi told the Conference on Disarmament in Geneva after the talks, which lasted several hours.

"We are hopeful that negotiation will lead to a sustainable and negotiated solution which can serve the interest of relevant parties and the broader region," he said.

He insisted thought that a viable agreement "must ensure the full recognition of Iran's legitimate rights to deliver tangible benefits, and be safeguarded against unilateral actions".

Before the talks US President Donald Trump had warned of consequences should Tehran fail to strike a deal.

Trump has repeatedly threatened to intervene militarily: first over Iran's deadly crackdown on protesters last month and more recently over its nuclear programme.

Araghchi stressed that "Iran remains fully prepared to defend itself against any threat or act of aggression", and cautioned that "the consequences of any attack against Iran will not be confined to its borders".


- IAEA talks -


The Iranian foreign minister met in Geneva on Monday with Rafael Grossi, the head of the International Atomic Energy Agency.

Araghchi said Tuesday that that meeting had focused on "cooperation between Iran and the agency (and) the role that the agency can play between Iran and the United States to achieve a mutually-agreed agreement".

"Iran will continue its constructive dialogue and engagement with the agency to address these technical issues and to identify an agreed pathway for closing the outstanding gaps," he said.

Araghchi insisted that his country had "consistently affirmed that it neither seeks to manufacture nor to acquire nuclear weapons, which have no place whatsoever in Iran's national security doctrine".

He lamented though that "despite Iran's demonstrated commitment to diplomacy and good faith engagement, the conduct of certain Western states, most notably the United States, has seriously undermined the credibility of the negotiating process" until now.

Araghchi pointed to Washington's withdrawal from a previous nuclear deal during Trump's first term, warning it had "dealt a profound blow to trust and stability of multilateral obligations".

He also highlighted the US military attack on Iran last June, while the two sides "were in the midst of negotiations".


ADVERTISEMENT




Space News from SpaceDaily.com
China retrieves Long March 10 booster from South China Sea after test flight
International crew arrives at space station
Mars relay orbiter seen as backbone for future exploration

24/7 Energy News Coverage
Extreme heat flips strength rules for pure metals
Hydrogen bond design advances solar water oxidation efficiency
Illinois team outlines emit-then-add route to photonic graph states

Military Space News, Nuclear Weapons, Missile Defense
China tests AI satellite swarm for space-based computing
NRO expands commercial multi-phenomenology surveillance awards
Iran says US 'more realistic' on nuclear issue, as Guards begin drills in Hormuz Strait

24/7 News Coverage
Amazon deforestation drives hotter drier regional climate
Ancient trilobite shells reveal durable chitin and long term carbon storage
Artificial wetlands help clean runoff and support circular agriculture



All rights reserved. Copyright Agence France-Presse. Sections of the information displayed on this page (dispatches, photographs, logos) are protected by intellectual property rights owned by Agence France-Presse. As a consequence, you may not copy, reproduce, modify, transmit, publish, display or in any way commercially exploit any of the content of this section without the prior written consent of Agence France-Presse.