SpaceWar.com - Your World At War
Belarus says US failed to issue visas for 'Board of Peace' meeting
Warsaw, Feb 19 (AFP) Feb 19, 2026
The United States failed to issue visas for Belarusian officials to attend the inaugural meeting of President Donald Trump's "Board of Peace", despite inviting Belarus to join as a founding member, the country's foreign ministry said Thursday.

In an angry statement, the Belarusian foreign ministry said it told the event's organisers it would be represented by Foreign Minister Maxim Ryzhenkov at the meeting and had applied for the visas in advance.

"However, despite completing all the required procedures on our part, visas were not issued to our delegation," the ministry said.

"This situation naturally raises the question: what kind of peace and what kind of consistency can we be talking about if even the basic formalities for our participation were not fulfilled by the organisers?"

The eastern European country, ruled for more than 30 years by President Alexander Lukashenko, a close ally of Russia's Vladimir Putin, was one of only around two dozen that accepted invitations to join Trump's board.

Few Western democracies that traditionally ally with the United States have joined.

Trump established the board last year to oversee a ceasefire his administration brokered to halt two years of devastating war in Gaza.

He has since suggested expanding its remit to solving conflicts worldwide, raising concerns it could undermine the United Nations' traditional role.

Trump will wield veto power over the board and can remain its head even after leaving office.


ADVERTISEMENT




Space News from SpaceDaily.com
Study revisits chances of detecting alien technosignatures
Hypersonica completes milestone hypersonic missile flight test in Norway
NASA teams set for second Artemis II wet dress rehearsal

24/7 Energy News Coverage
US renews threat to leave IEA
Environmental groups sue Trump administration over scrapped climate rule
Turkey fires up coal pollution even as it hosts COP31

Military Space News, Nuclear Weapons, Missile Defense
Facing US warnings, Iran defends right to nuclear enrichment
Airbus says will back two new European fighter jets 'if clients request'
US to withdraw all troops from Syria: reports

24/7 News Coverage
'Unprecedented' emissions maps will hone mitigation
Sudan's historic acacia forest devastated as war fuels logging
Deadly Indonesia floods force a deforestation reckoning



All rights reserved. Copyright Agence France-Presse. Sections of the information displayed on this page (dispatches, photographs, logos) are protected by intellectual property rights owned by Agence France-Presse. As a consequence, you may not copy, reproduce, modify, transmit, publish, display or in any way commercially exploit any of the content of this section without the prior written consent of Agence France-Presse.