SpaceWar.com - Your World At War
Afghans mourn villagers killed in Pakistani strikes
Bihsud, Afghanistan, Feb 22 (AFP) Feb 22, 2026
Afghans gathered around a mass grave on Sunday to bury villagers who died in overnight air strikes by Pakistan, which said its military operation killed more than 80 militants.

The overnight attacks left at least 18 people dead, Afghanistan said, and were the most extensive since border clashes in October that killed more than 70 on both sides and wounded hundreds.

"The house was completely destroyed. My children and family members were there. My father and my sons were there. All of them were killed," said Nezakat, a 35-year-old farmer in Bihsud district, who only gave one name.

Islamabad said it hit seven sites along the border region targeting Afghanistan-based militant groups, in response to suicide bombings in Pakistan.

A Pakistani security source told AFP on Sunday that the airstrikes killed "more than 80" militants, adding the death toll was expected to rise.

Islamabad's military targeted the Pakistani Taliban and its associates, as well as an affiliate of the Islamic State group, a statement by the Ministry of Information and Broadcasting said.

The Afghan government has previously denied harbouring militants.

Taliban government spokesperson Zabihullah Mujahid said "people's homes have been destroyed, they have targeted civilians, they have committed this criminal act" with the bombardment of eastern Nangarhar and Paktika provinces.

Residents from around the remote Bihsud district in Nangarhar joined searchers to look for bodies under the rubble using shovels and a digger, an AFP journalist said.

"People here are ordinary people. The residents of this village are our relatives. When the bombing happened, one person who survived was shouting for help," said neighbour Amin Gul Amin, 37.

Nangarhar police told AFP the bombardment started at around midnight and hit three districts, with those killed all in a civilian's house.

"Twenty-three members of his family were buried under the rubble, of whom 18 were killed and five wounded," said police spokesperson Sayed Tayeeb Hammad.

Strikes elsewhere in Nangarhar wounded two others, while in Paktika an AFP journalist saw a destroyed guesthouse but there were no immediate reports of casualties.


- 'Calculated response' -


Afghanistan's defence ministry said it will "deliver an appropriate and calculated response" to the Pakistani strikes.

The two countries have been locked in an increasingly bitter dispute since the Taliban authorities retook control of Afghanistan in 2021 as foreign forces withdrew.

Pakistani military action killed 70 Afghan civilians between October and December, according to the UN mission in Afghanistan.

Several rounds of negotiations followed an initial ceasefire brokered by Qatar and Turkey, but the efforts have failed to produce a lasting agreement.

Saudi Arabia intervened this month, mediating the release of three Pakistani soldiers captured by Afghanistan in October.

The deteriorating relationship has impacted people in both countries, with land border crossings - crucial gateways for trade - largely shut for months.

Pakistan said Sunday that despite repeated urging by Islamabad, Taliban authorities have failed to act against militant groups using Afghan territory to carry out attacks in Pakistan, which Kabul denies.

Islamabad launched the strikes after a suicide blast at a Shiite mosque in Islamabad two weeks ago and other attacks more recently in northwestern Pakistan.

The Islamic State group had claimed responsibility for the mosque bombing, which killed at least 40 people and wounded more than 160 in the deadliest attack in Islamabad since 2008.

The militant group's regional chapter, Islamic State-Khorasan, also claimed a deadly suicide bombing at a restaurant in Kabul last month.

burs-rsc-je/ceg


ADVERTISEMENT




Space News from SpaceDaily.com
Study revisits chances of detecting alien technosignatures
Hypersonica completes milestone hypersonic missile flight test in Norway
NASA teams set for second Artemis II wet dress rehearsal

24/7 Energy News Coverage
US renews threat to leave IEA
Environmental groups sue Trump administration over scrapped climate rule
Turkey fires up coal pollution even as it hosts COP31

Military Space News, Nuclear Weapons, Missile Defense
Facing US warnings, Iran defends right to nuclear enrichment
Airbus says will back two new European fighter jets 'if clients request'
US to withdraw all troops from Syria: reports

24/7 News Coverage
'Unprecedented' emissions maps will hone mitigation
Sudan's historic acacia forest devastated as war fuels logging
Deadly Indonesia floods force a deforestation reckoning



All rights reserved. Copyright Agence France-Presse. Sections of the information displayed on this page (dispatches, photographs, logos) are protected by intellectual property rights owned by Agence France-Presse. As a consequence, you may not copy, reproduce, modify, transmit, publish, display or in any way commercially exploit any of the content of this section without the prior written consent of Agence France-Presse.