![]() |
|
War in Middle East: latest developments Paris, France, May 17 (AFP) May 17, 2026 Here are the latest developments in the Middle East war:
"For Iran, the Clock is Ticking, and they better get moving, FAST, or there won't be anything left of them," Trump wrote on his Truth Social platform. "TIME IS OF THE ESSENCE!" The war began February 28, when US and Israeli forces launched major strikes on the Islamic republic, but peace negotiations have stalled since the April 8 ceasefire and sporadic attacks continue.
Meanwhile, Israeli strikes on towns in southern Lebanon killed five people, including two children, and left at least 15 people wounded, the Lebanese health ministry said. Israeli attacks since the start of the war have killed more than 2,900 people in Lebanon, including more than 400 since the truce began on April 17, according to Lebanese authorities.
Defence ministry spokesman Turki al-Maliki said the drones had entered on Sunday morning and that the ministry "reserves the right to respond at the appropriate time and place".
Prime Minister Netanyahu said Israel is has almost achieved its goal of eliminating all those responsible for orchestrating the October 7 attack. "I promised that every single architect of the massacre and the hostage-taking would be eliminated down to the last one, and we are very close to completing this mission," Netanyahu said during the weekly cabinet meeting.
The Mehr news agency said: "The United States, offering no tangible concessions, wants to obtain concessions that it failed to obtain during the war, which will lead to an impasse in the negotiations."
The fire was "in an electrical generator outside the inner perimeter of the Barakah Nuclear Power Plant in the Al Dhafra Region, caused by a drone strike," the Abu Dhabi Media Office said. Saudi Arabia's foreign ministry condemned the attack as a "threat" to the region, as did UN nuclear agency chief Rafael Grossi, who posted on X that "military activity that threatens nuclear safety is unacceptable".
"Some governments in the region believed that the presence of the United States would bring them security, but recent events showed that this presence is not only incapable of providing security, but also creates the grounds for insecurity," Ghalibaf said after the meeting. Islamabad has been mediating peace talks between Iran and the US and last month hosted a high stakes meeting between delegations from both sides. burs-cw/sla/ksb |
|
|
|
All rights reserved. Copyright Agence France-Presse. Sections of the information displayed on this page (dispatches, photographs, logos) are protected by intellectual property rights owned by Agence France-Presse. As a consequence, you may not copy, reproduce, modify, transmit, publish, display or in any way commercially exploit any of the content of this section without the prior written consent of Agence France-Presse.
|