Military Space News, Nuclear Weapons, Missile Defense
Indonesia boosts defences with new fighter jets
Jakarta, May 18 (AFP) May 18, 2026
Indonesia will continue boosting its defence capabilities, President Prabowo Subianto said Monday, citing uncertain times as he presented new military hardware, including six French-made Rafale jets, to the air force.

The Southeast Asian nation, which pursues a policy of diplomatic non-alignment, must "continue to improve our defence capabilities to serve as a deterrent", Prabowo told reporters at a ceremony at a military air base in Jakarta.

He said Indonesia does "not have any interests other than protecting our own territory".

"We observe that the global geopolitical landscape is fraught with uncertainty, and we recognise that defence is a primary prerequisite for stability," he added.

Prabowo inspected defence equipment recently procured for the Indonesian military, including four Dassault Falcon 8X jets and an Airbus A400M Atlas transport aircraft, according to a presidential palace statement.

Jakarta signed an $8.1 billion deal in 2022 under then-defence minister Prabowo to purchase 42 French-made Rafale fighters. Six of the jets have been delivered so far -- three in January and another three on Monday, defence ministry spokesman Rico Ricardo Sirait told AFP.

"The government views the strengthening of defence equipment not merely as the procurement of combat platforms, but as a strategic investment aimed at safeguarding sovereignty, national honour and national defence readiness," Rico said.

Prabowo, a former military general who came to power in 2024, has sought to modernise Indonesia's ageing military assets.

He met French President Emmanuel Macron last month in Paris, where the leaders discussed bolstering strategic cooperation, including through the "procurement of defence equipment and the strengthening of the defence industry", according to an Indonesian government statement.

A security analyst told AFP on Monday that Indonesia was unlikely to withdraw from the Rafale procurement contract despite rising budget pressures in economically uncertain times.

Southeast Asia's largest economy is a net oil importer and is facing pressures from rising crude prices due to the Middle East war, even as the government insists on leaving subsidised fuel prices unchanged.

"A further question is whether the government's emergency savings will be used in this procurement process," said Christian Guntur Lebang, a researcher with the LAB 45 think tank.

"Given the current state of the country's finances, which are in disarray, it would certainly be unwise."


ADVERTISEMENT




 WAR.WIRE

SINO.WIRE

NUKE.WIRE

All rights reserved. Copyright Agence France-Presse. Sections of the information displayed on this page (dispatches, photographs, logos) are protected by intellectual property rights owned by Agence France-Presse. As a consequence, you may not copy, reproduce, modify, transmit, publish, display or in any way commercially exploit any of the content of this section without the prior written consent of Agence France-Presse.