President George W. Bush has no plans to attack Iran and remains committed to diplomacy over the Islamic republic's controversial nuclear program, but the military option remains on the table, the White House spokesman said Tuesday.
"The president made it pretty clear, he said previously that Iran is not Iraq," spokesman Scott McClellan told reporters when asked if Washington might use force against Iran.
"We're working with the international community to solve this in a peaceful and diplomatic manner, that's what we've been doing and continue to do," McClellan said after Iran announced it had resumed sensitive atomic research.
But, he added, "in terms of options ... he (Bush) never takes options off the table."
Earlier, McClellan warned that resuming uranium enrichment and reprocessing activities "would be a serious escalation of the nuclear issue."
McClellan said the US administration was pursuing talks with Britain, France and Germany, the so-called EU-3 which are trying to negotiate a solution to the nuclear standoff.
But he added that if Iran breaches its international obligations, "there's no other choice but to refer the matter" to the UN Security Council for possible sanctions.
The United States fears Iran's civil nuclear program is a cover for developing a nuclear bomb. Tehran denies it, insisting the program is designed solely to meet its electricity needs.
Source: Agence France-Presse
Subscribe To SpaceWar Express
Iran Heading Into Abyss Over Nuclear Policy
Jerusalem (AFP) Jan 09, 2006
Israel's chief of staff Dan Halutz accused Iran on Monday of driving itself to the brink of the abyss by deciding to resume ultra-sensitive nuclear research, public radio reported.
|The content herein, unless otherwise known to be public domain, are Copyright 1995-2016 - Space Media Network. All websites are published in Australia and are solely subject to Australian law and governed by Fair Use principals for news reporting and research purposes. AFP, UPI and IANS news wire stories are copyright Agence France-Presse, United Press International and Indo-Asia News Service. ESA news reports are copyright European Space Agency. All NASA sourced material is public domain. Additional copyrights may apply in whole or part to other bona fide parties. Advertising does not imply endorsement, agreement or approval of any opinions, statements or information provided by Space Media Network on any Web page published or hosted by Space Media Network. Privacy Statement All images and articles appearing on Space Media Network have been edited or digitally altered in some way. Any requests to remove copyright material will be acted upon in a timely and appropriate manner. Any attempt to extort money from Space Media Network will be ignored and reported to Australian Law Enforcement Agencies as a potential case of financial fraud involving the use of a telephonic carriage device or postal service.|