Brussels (AFP) April 9, 2011
NATO said said Saturday none of its warplanes conducted any air strikes on the Libyan town of Ajdabiya, after residents claimed a huge blast was probably caused by an alliance strike.
"We can confirm that there were no NATO strikes in the city of Ajdabiya," a NATO official told AFP on condition of anonymity.
"We continue to engage government forces throughout the country. We have verified that the alleged air strike in Ajdabiya city was not the result" of a NATO strike, the official said.
NATO is also trying to verify reports that a helicopter bearing a rebel flag was flying towards the frontline around Ajdabiya despite a UN-mandated no-fly zone enforced by the 28-nation alliance, the official said.
"We are still trying to verify if there was any violation of the no-fly zone," the official said.
The official added that if any aircraft violates the no-fly zone, NATO surveillance planes send a message demanding that the pilot land immediately.
If the aircraft is still in the air, jets are scrambled to intercept the plane and can then shoot it down if the pilot refuses to land.
A helicopter can take off and land in a relatively short period of time, making it harder to intercept quickly, the official added.
NATO is operating under a UN mandate to conduct air strikes on ground forces threatening to harm the population and prevent aircraft from flying over Libya.
earlier related report
The jet had taken off from a rebel-controlled airfield near the eastern city of Benghazi in the morning and was intercepted within minutes, the official said on condition of anonymity. No weapons were fired by either side.
"No aggressive action was displayed by the MiG-23 and the NATO fighters proceeded to force it to land back at the Benina airfield," the official said.
The official added that the rebels had not warned NATO that one of their jets was going to take off.
It was the first time that any aircraft violated the no-fly zone since NATO took command of the mission from a US-led coalition on March 31.
"A request to fly by anybody in the no-fly zone would be scrutinised and there would have to be very compelling reason for an aircraft to be flown," the official said.
The UN Security Council put in place last month a no-fly zone over Libya to prevent Moamer Kadhafi from using his air force to kill civilians after the Libyan leader violently cracked down on pro-democracy protests.
NATO has also conducted air strikes against Kadhafi's ground forces under the UN mandate to use "all necessary measures" to protect the population.
Following normal procedure, NATO jets were scrambled to intercept the MiG-23 after it was detected by an AWAC surveillance aircraft, the NATO official said.
Two NATO planes flew alongside the MiG and made visual contact with the Libyan pilot, using international signals to indicate that he should land. The signals are usually made by hand or by tipping the plane's wing.
"He complied and the aircraft landed very quickly after take off," the official said. "It was only in the air a few minutes."
"In this case there was no aggressive behaviour, which meant no lethal force was required," the official said.
NATO assumes the pilot was part of the opposition because Benghazi is in the hands of rebels who have commandeered several Libyan fighter jets.
"It shows we are impartial, the no-fly zone applies to any aircraft," the official said. "A no-fly zone is a no-fly zone, period."
The intercept came in the wake of two friendly fire incidents in Libya.
NATO warplanes mistakenly struck a column of rebel tanks on Thursday, killing four people. The alliance admitted that it was unaware that the rebels were using tanks in the conflict.
A week earlier, NATO warplanes fired in self-defence after some fighters fired celebratory tracers in the air. Nine rebels and four civilians died in that incident.
Share This Article With Planet Earth
Toll from Israeli raids on Gaza rises to 5
Gaza City, Palestinian Territories (AFP) April 8, 2011
The death toll from a wave of Israeli raids after Hamas militants fired a missile at a school bus rose to five Friday after medics uncovered another body in southern Gaza. The fifth body was pulled from the rubble in the southern city of Rafah after the air force staged raids on three smuggling tunnels there, medics said. A total of 41 people were injured in a series of more than a doze ... read more
Lockheed Martin Awarded $43.3 Million Contract For Concept Definition Of Standard Missile-3 Block IIB|
Israel's missile shield makes history
Israeli system intercepts Gaza rocket for first time
Netanyahu praises Israeli system intercepting Gaza rocket
Raytheon Awarded $42 Million For Next-Generation Standard Missile-3 Interceptor
SLAMRAAM Intercepts Targets In Two Test Firings
Taiwan inaugurates missile ships amid buildup vow
US Navy Accomplishes Several Firsts During Operation Odyssey Dawn
SLAMRAAM Successfully Intercepts Targets in Two Test Firings
Northrop Grumman Ships First Broad Area Maritime Surveillance Fuselage
Micro Aircraft IMPULLS Improves Avionic Systems And Sensors
AeroVironment Global Observer Experiences Mishap During Extended Duration Flight Testing
Preparations Underway As US Army Gears Up For Large-Scale Network Evaluations
Global Military Communications Market In 2010
Raytheon BBN Technologies To Protect Internet Comms For Military Abroad
Gilat Announces New Military Modem For Robust Tactical Satcom-On-The-Move
Northrop Grumman Navigation Capabilities Exceed Requirements For Automated Aerial Refueling
PEO Ammo Picks Up 155mm Lightweight Howitzer Program
F-35C CF-1 Catapult Hookup
US Army Selects AAI's Man-Portable Aircraft Survivability Trainer
Top Gun: Russia Smashes Weapon Export Records
Israeli arms companies target Third World
Global military spending growth slowest since 2001
Elbit And IAI Establish Joint Company
Iraq spending $450 million on Arab summit
Ishihara re-elected Tokyo governor in post-quake vote
"Reset" Rings Hollow After Two Years
In shutdown, US troops will stay on duty: Pentagon
US Navy And Northrop Grumman Accomplish Goals For At-Sea Demonstration Of Maritime Laser
Scientists Build World's First Anti-Laser
Yale scientists build 'anti-laser'
'Air laser' could find bombs at a distance
|The content herein, unless otherwise known to be public domain, are Copyright 1995-2010 - SpaceDaily. AFP and UPI Wire Stories are copyright Agence France-Presse and United Press International. ESA Portal Reports are copyright European Space Agency. All NASA sourced material is public domain. Additional copyrights may apply in whole or part to other bona fide parties. Advertising does not imply endorsement,agreement or approval of any opinions, statements or information provided by SpaceDaily on any Web page published or hosted by SpaceDaily. Privacy Statement|