Washington (AFP) Nov 21, 2010
The latest pledge by Al-Qaeda in the Arabian Peninsula to carry out more small-scale bomb attacks is being treated as a "very serious threat," the top US military officer said Sunday.
Responding to the Yemen-based terror group's vow to attack the West with small but frequent strikes such as last month's cargo plane parcel bombs, Admiral Mike Mullen gave credit to people who have so far foiled such plots but expressed concern over AQAP's persistence to break through.
"It's a very serious threat, and I believe what they are saying," the chairman of the US Joint Chiefs of Staff told ABC News show "This Week."
"They've grown, it's dangerous, and it's a place we need to focus," he added.
AQAP at the weekend unveiled what it described as its "strategy of a thousand cuts" that will "bleed the enemy to death", a monitoring group said.
The group said the packages it put aboard freight planes bound for the US in late October were never intended to cause mass casualties, but were aimed at creating maximum economic damage.
It said the parcels, which were intercepted in Dubai and Britain, were part of "Operation Hemorrhage," a plan that had cost just 4,200 dollars to mount.
When asked if AQAP's strategy worried him, Mullen responded "You bet it worries me."
But he stressed that there was "an awful lot of effort going on to make sure that they don't" succeed.
US Defense Secretary Robert Gates said last week that Washington wanted to help Yemen battle Al-Qaeda's affiliate in the country, and that providing equipment and training to Yemeni security forces offered the best way to counter the threat.
With more than 100,000 US troops fighting Al-Qaeda's allies in Afghanistan and public skepticism in Yemen over the US military's role there, Gates and other US officials have stressed that Sanaa will lead the fight against Islamist militants.
Share This Article With Planet Earth
The Long War - Doctrine and Application
Testing Begins Of DHS BioWatch Gen-3 Biological Detection Program
Linthicum MD (SPX) Nov 19, 2010
The U.S. Department of Homeland Security (DHS) has awarded Northrop Grumman a contract to begin field testing a new generation of autonomous biodetection instruments as part of the BioWatch Gen-3 program. Northrop Grumman was awarded the $8.4 million task order under the BioWatch Gen-3 System Performance Demonstration Contract. The total potential value of the contract is $37 million over ... read more
Israel Unveils Newest Anti-Missile System|
NATO agrees on Europe-wide missile defence system
Medvedev to present missile defence vision at NATO: Kremlin
NATO missile shield must not be aimed at Iran: Turkey
JASSM-ER Test Flights Highlight Outstanding Development Effort
Tehran has defences against cruise missiles: Iran
Iran, Israel move to boost missile power
Pakistan to arm fighter jets with Chinese missiles
US drone strike kills four militants in Pakistan: officials
Kestrel Supports Project NANKEEN In Afghanistan
Multi-Purpose UAVs To Get NG STARLite Radars
US drone strikes kill nine militants in Pakistan
Codan Receives JITC Certification For 2110 HF Manpack
Northrop Grumman Bids for Marine Corps Common Aviation CnC
DSP Satellite System Celebrates 40 Years
ManTech Awarded US Army Contract To Provide ECCS In Afghanistan
DARPA Concludes Review Of Falcon HTV-2 Flight Anomaly
New MRAP Ambulance Prototypes Many Improvements
Hawkei Prototype Unveiled At Land Warfare Conference
BAE Team Delivers Enhanced Protection JLTV Prototype
Boeing Delivers US Navy's 10th C-40A Derivative Aircraft
Russia, India 'Likely' To Sign 5G Fighter Contract In December
GD Awarded MDA Contract
Boeing To Acquire Military Logistics Provider CDM Technologies
Can cash-strapped Europe pay for NATO's grand ambition?
NATO, Russia bury 'ghosts of the past'
US had plans to 'take over' Azores in 1975: archives
France and Germany reach deal on NATO nuclear arms
Boeing Installing Beam Control System On HEL Laser Demonstrator
Maritime Laser System Shows Higher Lethality At Longer Ranges
Northrop Grumman To Increase Efficiency For Next-Gen Military Laser Technology
Boeing Receives Task Order For Design Of Free Electron Laser Lab Demonstrator
|The content herein, unless otherwise known to be public domain, are Copyright 1995-2010 - SpaceDaily. AFP and UPI Wire Stories are copyright Agence France-Presse and United Press International. ESA Portal Reports are copyright European Space Agency. All NASA sourced material is public domain. Additional copyrights may apply in whole or part to other bona fide parties. Advertising does not imply endorsement,agreement or approval of any opinions, statements or information provided by SpaceDaily on any Web page published or hosted by SpaceDaily. Privacy Statement|