Subscribe free to our newsletters via your
. Military Space News .

Subscribe free to our newsletters via your

Angry Iraqis bury dead from Tikrit carnage

by Staff Writers
Tikrit, Iraq (AFP) March 30, 2011
Grieving residents of Tikrit buried their dead on Wednesday, enraged that a band of gunmen and suicide bombers had managed to breach security to launch an assault a building in which 58 people were killed.

A curfew imposed Tuesday, shortly after the early afternoon attack on the provincial council building, remained in force. Streets were deserted and shops shuttered in the city that was former dictator Saddam Hussein's hometown.

In Tuesday's attack, gunmen swarmed into the provincial council building after a suicide bomber cleared the way. Security reinforcements that arrived 20 minutes later were met by a car bomb.

For more than five hours the gunmen, wearing military uniforms and suicide vests by police accounts, kept security forces at bay, shooting at them from inside the building.

Police and hospital sources said at least two suicide bombers detonated their payload inside the building, and four others died when security forces stormed the building.

By that time, 58 people lay dead and 97 had been wounded.

Witnesses said the gunmen stormed the building and opened fire indiscriminately.

"When they came, they threw several grenades and began shooting in all directions inside the building. There were dozens of people and employees," Hussein al-Shatab, a member of the provincial council, told AFP.

"Many of us were able to escape from the rear of the building," he said.

Three members of the provincial council were among the dead, including the head of the health committee, Wathiq Shaker. His brother Hafez demanded Wednesday the resignation of Governor Ahmed Abdallah Abed and the provincial police chief.

"How was this carnage possible in a building that is the symbol of local authorities?" the 40-year-old veterinarian asked.

"Prime Minister Nuri al-Maliki recently said that Iraq had become the most stable and safest country in the region. Where is that security?" asked Mahmoud al-Bazi, a 35-year-old teacher.

"This attack... happened because of the faults of the security services and central government," he said.

The provincial council declared three days of mourning as police and soldiers deployed across Tikrit.

Security was also tightened at entry points to the Sunni-majority province of Salaheddin in which Tikrit lies, just north of Baghdad.

In a statement Wednesday, Maliki promised that "the criminals who organised and carried out this crime will not go unpunished."

He said an investigation committee had been formed, and he wanted its findings "as soon as possible."

The attack was the deadliest since an August 17 suicide bombing against a Baghdad army recruitment centre that killed 59 people and wounded 125.

Although no group has claimed responsibility, the strike bore all the hallmarks of the Islamic State in Iraq, the local al-Qaeda affiliate, and was a replica of at least three similar attacks last year in Baghdad.

The same tactics were used last year in a June 13 attack on the Central Bank that killed 15 people, a September 5 assault on a military complex in which 12 were killed, and an October 1 bloodbath at a Baghdad cathedral in which 46 Christians were killed.

Violence has dramatically dropped since its peak in 2006 and 2007, but Tuesday's bloodbath demonstrated that some armed groups still retain the ability to launch major attacks.

With nine months left before the US military pulls out its remaining 50,000 troops and completes its withdrawal, such attacks raise serious questions about whether Iraqi forces are up to the task of maintaining security.

The US military said its forces rapidly responded to the attack and some were lightly wounded, but that it played only a supportive role.

The troops "responded to the attack as it was occurring," and joined Iraqi forces who were already on the scene, a US military spokesman in Iraq told AFP in a statement.

"Some of the soldiers received minor wounds while responding, but all were able to continue duties," it added.

"Our assistance was limited to providing aerial surveillance of the scene and keeping our soldiers on site to receive further requests for assistance if needed," it added.

Share This Article With Planet Earth DiggDigg RedditReddit
YahooMyWebYahooMyWeb GoogleGoogle FacebookFacebook

Related Links
Iraq: The first technology war of the 21st century

Memory Foam Mattress Review
Newsletters :: SpaceDaily :: SpaceWar :: TerraDaily :: Energy Daily
XML Feeds :: Space News :: Earth News :: War News :: Solar Energy News

58 dead in Tikrit attack: Iraq police
Tikrit, Iraq (AFP) March 29, 2011
Security forces stormed the provincial council building in former dictator Saddam Hussein's hometown of Tikrit on Tuesday after an hours-long shootout with gunmen that left 58 dead and 97 wounded, a police official said. "The latest toll is 58 dead and 97 wounded, and there are many with serious injuries, Six of the dead were the attackers," said the official, stationed at Tikrit's main hosp ... read more

LockMart Awarded THAAD Production Contract

LockMart Huntsville Integrated Test Center To Support For Missile Defense

Israel deploys 'Iron Dome' anti-rocket system

US Welcomes Mutually Reinforcing Missile Defense Cooperation With Russia

Rocket slams into Israel city as Gaza violence spirals

Taiwan missile test flops again

Russia to double missile production from 2013: Putin

China aims new missile at Taiwan: intelligence chief

Northrop Grumman Submits Final Proposal For NATO Alliance Ground Surveillance

Northrop Grumman Ships First Broad Area Maritime Surveillance Fuselage

Dassault, BAE press ahead with drone plan

Mexico defends decision to use US drones in drug war

Raytheon BBN Technologies To Protect Internet Comms For Military Abroad

Gilat Announces New Military Modem For Robust Tactical Satcom-On-The-Move

Advanced Emulation Accelerates Deployment Of Military Network Technologies

Tactical Communications Group Completes Deployment Of Ground Support Systems

LockMart Rolls Out First Special Operations MC-130J Combat Shadow II

S. American security firms heavily armed

LockMart Delivers 8,000th Combat Computing Unit To US Navy

PEO Ammo Picks Up 155mm Lightweight Howitzer Program

U.S., Italy battle for Turkish helo deal

EU's defence project sidelined in Libya crisis

Emirates invests heavily in arms industry

Typhoon's Libya debut seen as sales boost

China's Hu warns Sarkozy on Libya strikes

Outside View: Illusions, delusions of war

Putin's animal antics questioned in Russia

Crucial EU summit split on Libya, upset by Portugal

Scientists Build World's First Anti-Laser

Yale scientists build 'anti-laser'

'Air laser' could find bombs at a distance

ONR Achieves Milestone In Free Electron Laser Program

The content herein, unless otherwise known to be public domain, are Copyright 1995-2010 - SpaceDaily. AFP and UPI Wire Stories are copyright Agence France-Presse and United Press International. ESA Portal Reports are copyright European Space Agency. All NASA sourced material is public domain. Additional copyrights may apply in whole or part to other bona fide parties. Advertising does not imply endorsement,agreement or approval of any opinions, statements or information provided by SpaceDaily on any Web page published or hosted by SpaceDaily. Privacy Statement