Subscribe to our free daily newsletters
. Military Space News .




Subscribe to our free daily newsletters



TERROR WARS
Belgium seeks to bring back children stranded by IS
By Matthieu DEMEESTERE
Brussels (AFP) Oct 7, 2017


The mass retreat of the Islamic State group from its territories in Syria and Iraq has left Europe grappling with the risk of foreign fighters returning home.

But in Belgium, authorities are also turning their attention to repatriating children stranded in the war zones.

With an estimated 500 citizens who have reached or attempted to reach the conflict zones, Belgium has the highest number of jihadists per capita in the EU.

The government has said there are at least 100 Belgian children under 12 years currently in Syria, who were either born there or were taken to the country with an adult.

In May, a Belgian jihadist took his three-year-old daughter to Syria without the knowledge of her mother, despite being under electronic surveillance.

Justice Minister Koen Geens said the children are usually brought home via Turkey under the protection of Belgian police officers.

He revealed that Belgium and NATO partner Turkey had set up a gathering point on Turkish territory for those children wanting to come back, usually but not necessarily with their mothers.

"Fourteen children have returned," said Interior Minister Jan Jambon, "11 of them under six years old."

- 'Small' threat from children -

The flow of foreign fighters to the conflict zone has partly reversed since the IS group's self-declared caliphate in Iraq and Syria began crumbling in the last year under assault from regional, US-backed and other foreign-backed forces.

An EU report in December said a third of the estimated 5,000 European jihadists who went to Syria and Iraq had returned to Europe, and some may have orders to carry out attacks.

An unspecified number of wives and children have also returned to their homes throughout Europe, with officials concerned that they too could be planning violence.

Jambon told lawmakers last month that the chances are "relatively small" that children so young have been radicalised.

But he said these children would probably need psychiatric and other follow-up care to recover from traumas they might have suffered during the conflict.

Such support must constantly be "refined" to ensure the children settle properly into Belgian life, prosecutors from Belgium, France, Spain and Morocco said at a meeting this week in Dutch-speaking Flanders.

Until now, children's aid officials in French-speaking Wallonia told AFP that they have cared for only four children in a specialised educational centre.

Under Belgian law, a judge must review cases of children who are at least 12 and have committed an offence in war zones, but this has not yet happened in the region.

That is a signal to some observers that the Belgian government has not done enough to try to help bring back its citizens from the Middle East battlegrounds.

- 'Complex problem' -

"It's a complex problem. What can we do? Dispatch teams to identify the children? If the parent is dead, his nationality may be difficult to ascertain," a senior security official said on condition of anonymity.

"In Turkey, Belgium provides consular services to help with repatriation, which is not the case in Syria and Iraq," the official said.

"But the minor will have first had to cross the border."

Bahar Kimyongur, a Belgian researcher who works with UN human rights experts, said Turkish President Recep Tayyip Erdogan holds a key to the solution, at least for children stranded in the northwestern Syrian province of Idlib.

"Erdogan has support through the Turkmen brigades. The Turks have lots of contacts and room for manoeuvre," Kimyongur told AFP.

The Turkish army is due to deploy in Idlib with Russian and Iranian forces to restore security to the province in line with the Astana accords.

Through his family and other contacts on both sides of the Turkish-Syrian border, Kimyongur helped two mothers, a French and a Belgian, bring back their young children.

The last case grabbed the Belgian media spotlight and prompted an emotional outpouring as the country waits for the return of another child.

TERROR WARS
Sarin used in Syria 5 days before Khan Sheikhun: OPCW
The Hague (AFP) Oct 4, 2017
Sarin nerve agent was used in an 'incident' at a northern Syrian village in late March, five days before the deadly attack on Khan Sheikhun, the world's chemical watchdog said Wednesday. "Analysis of samples collected (by the OPCW)... relates to an incident that took place again in the northern part of Syria on the 30th of March this year," the head of the Organisation for the Prohibition of ... read more

Related Links
The Long War - Doctrine and Application


Thanks for being here;
We need your help. The SpaceDaily news network continues to grow but revenues have never been harder to maintain.

With the rise of Ad Blockers, and Facebook - our traditional revenue sources via quality network advertising continues to decline. And unlike so many other news sites, we don't have a paywall - with those annoying usernames and passwords.

Our news coverage takes time and effort to publish 365 days a year.

If you find our news sites informative and useful then please consider becoming a regular supporter or for now make a one off contribution.

SpaceDaily Contributor
$5 Billed Once


credit card or paypal
SpaceDaily Monthly Supporter
$5 Billed Monthly


paypal only

Comment using your Disqus, Facebook, Google or Twitter login.

Share this article via these popular social media networks
del.icio.usdel.icio.us DiggDigg RedditReddit GoogleGoogle

TERROR WARS
PAC-3 MSE Test Successful from Remote Launcher

Saudi intercepts Yemen rebel missile

Lockheed Martin to replace USS Fitzgerald's SPY-1D AEGIS radar

Orbital ATK launches Patriot system target vehicle

TERROR WARS
Saudi Arabia says to buy Russia S-400 defence systems, other arms

US-Russia-China cooperation could hinder the proliferation of hypersonic missiles

Taiwan navy personnel jailed for fatal missile misfire

Putin in Turkey for talks on weapons deal, Syria

TERROR WARS
IAI unmanned helo performs proof-of-concept demo

Driverless hover-taxi makes first 'concept' flight in Dubai

Drones, Fighter jets on table as Mattis visits key ally India

Wanted: Novel Approaches for Detecting and Stopping Small Unmanned Air Systems

TERROR WARS
82nd Airborne tests in-flight communication system for paratroopers

Spectra Airbus SlingShot Partnership Extension

Airbus prepares the future European Governmental Satellite Communications programme

Northrop awarded contract for support of Air Force communications system

TERROR WARS
Rheinmetall, Paravan team on autonomous vehicle technology

Orbit Logic Awarded Navy Autonomy Contract

Raytheon awarded contract for upgrades to Small Diameter Bomb

African country orders Elbit defense electronic systems

TERROR WARS
Leonardo opens new site in Australia

Australia to upgrade submarines, frigates

BAE Systems Australia to support Indigenous companies

Saab eyes possible U.S. factory location

TERROR WARS
Trump makes cryptic 'calm before the storm' remark

Philippines hails US as top ally, welcomes war games

Hong Kong lawmaker guilty of desecrating Chinese flag

Trump accepts Duterte's ASEAN summit invite after all

TERROR WARS
Tungsten offers nano-interconnects a path of least resistance

Nanoscale islands dot light-driven catalyst

Nanoparticle supersoap creates 'bijel' with potential as sculptable fluid

Creative use of noise brings bio-inspired electronic improvement




Memory Foam Mattress Review
Newsletters :: SpaceDaily :: SpaceWar :: TerraDaily :: Energy Daily
XML Feeds :: Space News :: Earth News :: War News :: Solar Energy News






The content herein, unless otherwise known to be public domain, are Copyright 1995-2017 - Space Media Network. All websites are published in Australia and are solely subject to Australian law and governed by Fair Use principals for news reporting and research purposes. AFP, UPI and IANS news wire stories are copyright Agence France-Presse, United Press International and Indo-Asia News Service. ESA news reports are copyright European Space Agency. All NASA sourced material is public domain. Additional copyrights may apply in whole or part to other bona fide parties. All articles labeled "by Staff Writers" include reports supplied to Space Media Network by industry news wires, PR agencies, corporate press officers and the like. Such articles are individually curated and edited by Space Media Network staff on the basis of the report's information value to our industry and professional readership. Advertising does not imply endorsement, agreement or approval of any opinions, statements or information provided by Space Media Network on any Web page published or hosted by Space Media Network. Privacy Statement