Washington (AFP) Feb 24, 2011
Boeing and Airbus braced Thursday for the Pentagon's decision on their long and tortuous battle for a $35 billion Air Force aerial refueling tanker contract.
Several analysts have tipped the European Aeronautic Defence and Space Company, parent of France-based Airbus, to win the politically charged contest, one of the biggest procurement contracts in US history.
But some analysts also say an Airbus victory could spark a new challenge to the process by Boeing, extending the nearly 10-year old battle which pits the world's two largest aerospace companies.
The Defense Department said it would hold a news conference on the contract decision Thursday afternoon.
"Today at 5:10 (pm -- 2210 GMT) we will have a short briefing on the selection of the KC-X tanker contract," Colonel David Lapan, a Pentagon spokesman, told reporters.
The US Air Force has been trying for nearly a decade to begin to replace its aging aerial refueling tanker fleet of Boeing-built KC-135s that date back to the 1950s.
At stake is a contract, estimated at $35 billion, for an initial 179 tankers.
EADS is looking like the favorite to land the deal, said Loren Thompson, an analyst at the Lexington Institute think-tank based just outside the US capital.
"Judging from the frequency with which Pentagon acquisition chief Ashton Carter has been talking up the notion of a 'globalized' defense market recently, European aerospace giant EADS is the winner," Thompson said Wednesday in an online blog.
Thompson said the Air Force would announce the winner Thursday after the financial markets close.
The first time the contract was awarded, it went to Boeing, but it was subsequently canceled amid a Pentagon procurement scandal.
EADS won the contract in a second try in 2008, together with US partner Northrop Grumman, but the decision was withdrawn after the Government Accountability Office upheld Boeing's objections that the process was flawed.
EADS is now competing without a main partner, but with support from a number of US equipment makers.
EADS North America chairman Ralph Crosby said last week the firm had lowered its final bid to a "very competitive price proposal."
Boeing's chief executive Jim McNerney earlier described their bid as an "aggressive" attempt to beat its "subsidized" European rival.
This third attempt has been marked by fierce lobbying from lawmakers seeking jobs for their states -- for Boeing, in Washington and Kansas, and for Airbus, in Alabama.
A separate dimension has been a long-running trade dispute between the United States and the European Union at the World Trade Organization over public subsidies for Boeing and Airbus.
The Defense Department insists the winner will be decided on the merits of its bid.
Thompson cautioned that the Pentagon announcement may not close the book on the matter.
"Boeing could challenge the rating methodology and several other facets of the selection process, but since price is the key discriminator in the outcome, it is more likely to pursue a political strategy focusing on EADS use of prohibited trade subsidies in developing and marketing its planes," he said.
The rivals are offering militarized versions of their commercial aircraft and promising the contract would pump tens of thousands of jobs into the post-recession US economy still struggling with high unemployment.
The EADS KC-45 is based on the long-haul Airbus 330. EADS says it has 31 percent more capacity and a longer range than Boeing's offer, the KC-767.
It would be assembled in Mobile, Alabama, where EADS expects to produce at least 12 aircraft a year and says the program would create 48,000 jobs.
Boeing is proposing the KC-767, or NewGen Tanker, built around its long-haul 767 plane. The plane would be assembled at Boeing's plant in Everett, Washington, and equipped in Wichita, Kansas. Boeing says a win would provide 50,000 jobs.
Share This Article With Planet Earth
The Military Industrial Complex at SpaceWar.com
Learn about the Superpowers of the 21st Century at SpaceWar.com
Argentina halts US military training amid cargo spat
Buenos Aires (AFP) Feb 20, 2011
Argentina is suspending its participation in foreign military training in the wake of a diplomatic row over its seizure of materials from a US military plane, a top official said Sunday. Argentine Security Minister Nilda Garre told the Pagina12 newspaper that the government would not approve commissions abroad through 2011 that included "courses or seminars in which the instructors are milit ... read more
Israel successfully tests Arrow anti-missile system|
Knesset urges $1.4 billion Iron Dome buy
Surface Combat Systems Center Tests Aegis BMD Capabilities
Boeing And Northrop Grumman Submit Proposal For Missile Defense Competitive Contract
Enhancing The Protection Of Rotary Aircraft Against Missiles
Lockheed Martin Receives $34.5 Million Contract For Paveway II Plus Laser Guided Bomb Kits
$7 bn UAE missile deal expected this spring
Pakistan test fires Babur cruise missile
K-MAX Achieves Numerous Firsts During Recent Demo Flights
AeroVironment Develops World's First Fully Operational Life-Size Hummingbird-Like Unmanned Aircraft for DARPA
New wing tests for carrier drone
Mumbai police to get unmanned drones to fight terror: report
Northrop Grumman Next-Gen FBCB2 System Approved For Fielding
Boeing To Demonstrate Aviation Command And Control Subsystem For US Marine Corps
Russian defense satellite in wrong orbit
Boeing To Demonstrate High-Technology, Low-Risk Solutions At AFA Air Warfare Symposium
LockMart Receives Major Contract Modification For F-22 Raptor Sustainment
Boeing Receives Second Option Of B-52 Engineering Sustainment Contract
A Device Enables The Remote Explosion Of Improvised Land-Mines
Boeing EA-18G Growlers Deployed by US Navy
Boeing wins massive US air tanker contract
Pentagon tanker deal boosts industry
Russia heading to arms buying spree
India rejects direct purchase of MH-60s
US top military officer visits Gulf amid Arab revolts
Taiwan cardinal eyes China-Vatican dialogue
Mideast unrest puts US military access in jeopardy
US: Troops' move depends on Japan
Scientists Build World's First Anti-Laser
Yale scientists build 'anti-laser'
'Air laser' could find bombs at a distance
ONR Achieves Milestone In Free Electron Laser Program
|The content herein, unless otherwise known to be public domain, are Copyright 1995-2010 - SpaceDaily. AFP and UPI Wire Stories are copyright Agence France-Presse and United Press International. ESA Portal Reports are copyright European Space Agency. All NASA sourced material is public domain. Additional copyrights may apply in whole or part to other bona fide parties. Advertising does not imply endorsement,agreement or approval of any opinions, statements or information provided by SpaceDaily on any Web page published or hosted by SpaceDaily. Privacy Statement|