Subscribe free to our newsletters via your
. Military Space News .

Subscribe free to our newsletters via your

Date for US drawdown needed to press Afghans: Gates

NATO allies agree 7,000-plus non-US troops for Afghanistan
Brussels (AFP) Dec 7, 2009 - NATO allies have agreed to support the US troop surge in Afghanistan with 7,000 more troops, the organisation's Secretary General Anders Fogh Rasmussen said Monday. And there would be more to come in 2010, Rasmussen added. "On top of the 30,000 forces coming from the United States, NATO allies and partners have made pledges to add almost 7,000 extra forces to the mission," said a statement from Rasmussen released after a meeting of military leaders. "There is now more work to be done to turn these basic figures into capability on the ground, and in particular to focus on the critical area of training the Afghan security forces," he said.

He had "clear indications" that the total contribution from non-US allies would exceed 7,000 by 2010, he added, without elaborating. At the high-level meeting at Mons, in Belgium, the 44 nations contributing to the International Security Assistance Force (ISAF) delivered on promises made last week at a foreign ministers' meeting in Brussels, said Rasmussen. Military sources told AFP that France and Germany had nothing more to offer, at least not before the international conference on Afghanistan scheduled for January 28. A number of US allies have promised to send extra troops to back US President Barack Obama's new strategy to end the conflict in Afghanistan. The 37,000-strong boost in troop numbers will bring the NATO-led ISAF force strength up to some 150,000 by 2010, of whom two-thirds are American.
by Staff Writers
Washington (AFP) Dec 7, 2009
Setting a date for the start of a US withdrawal from Afghanistan conveys "a sense of urgency" to Kabul that American forces would not stay indefinitely, Defense Secretary Robert Gates said.

Defending President Barack Obama's decision to combine a troop buildup in Afghanistan with a target date of July 2011 for the beginning of a drawdown, Gates said the Kabul government had to understand the US military commitment was not open-ended.

"The piece of this that people need to keep in mind that's different from Iraq is our need to communicate a sense of urgency to the Afghans of their need to begin to accept responsibility," Gates told NBC's "Meet the Press" Sunday, drawing a contrast to a similar buildup in Iraq two years ago.

In a separate television interview, Afghan President Hamid Karzai said Afghans wanted to be in charge of their country's security "sooner, rather than later."

But he said it would take two years to train Afghan forces to the point where they can lead operations in many parts of the country.

"By the end of five years term of the current government, we plan to lead operations for the security of the Afghan people in all of Afghanistan, in the whole country. That is our objective," Karzai told CNN.

Echoing comments made at congressional hearings last week, Gates said the United States would remain deeply engaged with Afghanistan even after US forces eventually hand over security to Afghan forces.

"We are not going to abandon Afghanistan like we did in 1989. But the nature of the relationship will change," Gates said.

As the US military presence is reduced, political and economic assistance would take on a bigger part of the relationship, he said.

Gates and other top officials renewed their defense of Obama's strategy on television political talk shows after the president's plan -- unveiled last week -- met with criticism on both the right and the left.

Republicans -- including former vice president Dick Cheney -- slammed the July 2011 date as a dangerous signal to allies and Afghan insurgents while Obama's fellow Democrats questioned the troop surge.

Gates rejected Cheney's charges that the drawdown starting date would embolden the Taliban, saying insurgents were well aware of public opinion in Western countries and always counted on outlasting US-led forces.

"Whether you announce a date or not, they can tell as easily from reading the news media about political support for these kinds of undertakings themselves and they always believe that they can outlast us," he said.

"The reality is though, what are they going to do? Are they going to get more aggressive than they already are? We don't think they can.

"If they lie low, that's great news for us because it gives us some huge opportunities in Afghanistan."

The surge of 30,000 additional US troops would make a difference in the fight against insurgents in the next 18 months and enable the training of more Afghan troops and police, allowing the US military "to begin this gradual process of transitioning security," he said.

General Stanley McChrystal, the top US and NATO commander in Afghanistan, intends to use the 30,000 US reinforcements authorized by Obama and as many as 7,000 soldiers pledged by other NATO nations to protect key cities and towns in southern and eastern parts of the country, where the Taliban insurgency is strongest, The Washington Post reported Monday.

By focusing on securing population centers, McChrystal hopes to reverse enemy momentum, foster more responsive local government and, where possible, persuade Taliban fighters through a mixture of pressure and incentives to lay down their arms, the newspaper noted.

National security adviser James Jones told CNN the United States would launch a fresh effort to track down Osama bin Laden, who is believed to be moving between Pakistan and Afghanistan in the mountains along the border.

Bin Laden was a "very important symbol of what Al-Qaeda stands for" and it was crucial to make sure he was on the run or captured, said the retired Marine general.

Share This Article With Planet Earth DiggDigg RedditReddit
YahooMyWebYahooMyWeb GoogleGoogle FacebookFacebook

Related Links
News From Across The Stans

Memory Foam Mattress Review
Newsletters :: SpaceDaily :: SpaceWar :: TerraDaily :: Energy Daily
XML Feeds :: Space News :: Earth News :: War News :: Solar Energy News

Washington to closely monitor Afghan aid: Clinton, Gates
Washington (AFP) Dec 6, 2009
Washington will closely monitor future financial aid to Afghanistan to ensure it does not "aid and abet bad behavior" by the Kabul government, US Secretary of State Hillary Clinton said in an interview aired Sunday. Clinton said American financial assistance to Afghanistan will be targeted toward ministries with a proven track record for efficiency and transparency. "There are certain ... read more

The content herein, unless otherwise known to be public domain, are Copyright 1995-2009 - SpaceDaily. AFP and UPI Wire Stories are copyright Agence France-Presse and United Press International. ESA Portal Reports are copyright European Space Agency. All NASA sourced material is public domain. Additional copyrights may apply in whole or part to other bona fide parties. Advertising does not imply endorsement,agreement or approval of any opinions, statements or information provided by SpaceDaily on any Web page published or hosted by SpaceDaily. Privacy Statement