Subscribe to our free daily newsletters
. Military Space News .




Subscribe to our free daily newsletters



TERROR WARS
Guantanamo judge orders US general's detention for contempt
By Thomas WATKINS
Washington (AFP) Nov 1, 2017


A Guantanamo Bay military judge sentenced a US general to three weeks' confinement after finding him in contempt of court Wednesday, the latest setback to hit the base's much-criticized military tribunals.

The unprecedented action at Guantanamo's military commissions coincidentally came the same day President Donald Trump said he was considering sending the suspect in Tuesday's New York attack to the notorious detention center.

The confinement of Brigadier General John Baker, who heads up the defense at Guantanamo, stems from the case against Abd al-Rahim al-Nashiri, the accused mastermind of the attack on the USS Cole in 2000.

Baker had agreed to let Nashiri's civilian defense team quit the case over a series of ethical conflicts and a lack of confidence that their privileged conversations were in fact confidential.

But military judge Air Force Colonel Vance Spath said they could not quit so ordered them to appear in person at the base or via video conference, the Miami Herald reported.

When Baker refused to return the team to the case or to testify, Spath found him in contempt.

Spath sentenced Baker to 21 days confinement to his quarters and ordered him to pay a $1,000 fine.

"The judge has the obligation and power to enforce decorum in the courtroom," military hearings spokesman Major Ben Sakrisson told AFP.

Citing a military rule, he added: "The military judge is responsible for ensuring that military commission proceedings are conducted in a fair and orderly manner, without unnecessary delay or waste of time or resources."

Harvey Rishikof, who is a civilian lawyer and the so-called convening authority in the case, must still approve the sentence.

Baker, who has been in the Marine Corps for nearly three decades, did not immediately respond to a request for comment.

- 'Bad dudes' -

The military commissions at Guantanamo were started as a way to try non-US citizen "enemy combatants" captured in Afghanistan and elsewhere in the aftermath of the US-led invasion in 2001.

At the height of its operations after the September 11, 2001 attacks, the prison held 780 people detained mostly for their alleged ties to Al-Qaeda and the Taliban.

Since then hundreds have been transferred back to their home countries or other places, and the inmate population currently stands at 41, many of them stuck in legal limbo.

Barack Obama tried throughout his presidency to shutter the jail but was rebuffed by Republican opponents. As a candidate, Trump said he wanted to fill it with "bad dudes."

Critics assail the war courts for offering only an approximation of due process, with detainees given fewer legal rights than they would if they were tried in federal court.

Attorney David Nevin, who represents alleged 9/11 mastermind Khalid Sheikh Mohammed, said the latest breakdown in the process that has dragged on for years highlights inadequacies of trying people in a military commission instead of through the federal system.

"Putting people in jail for doing their jobs is just exactly what you would expect as a step in the military commissions," Nevins told AFP.

"It illustrates the proposition that military commissions are not a genuine criminal justice system."

Trump said Wednesday he may send New York terror suspect Sayfullo Saipov to Guantanamo.

"Send him to Gitmo, I would certainly consider that," Trump told reporters, using the nickname for the jail site.

The White House later said it sees Saipov as an "enemy combatant," potentially opening the door to his detention without normal rights.

Amnesty International human rights director Daphne Eviatar told AFP that "the chaos of the al-Nashiri case is yet one more sign of what a tragic mistake it would be to send someone else to Guantanamo."

"That is not the place to hold suspects accountable for crimes," she said.

Saipov is a holder of a US permanent residency card. Experts could not recall if there had ever been a case of another "Green Card" holder being shipped to Guantanamo.

"Fifteen years has proven no one will ever be successfully tried or 'brought to justice' at Guantanamo, and the president and his supporters within his own party are deluded if they believe otherwise," said the Center for Constitutional Rights, which has represented Guantanamo detainees.

TERROR WARS
Russia says its submarine fired missiles at IS base in Syria
Moscow (AFP) Oct 31, 2017
Russia said Tuesday its submarine deployed in the Mediterranean fired three ballistic missiles to destroy a command post of the Islamic State group in Syria's eastern Deir Ezzor province. "A missile strike with three Kalibr missiles destroyed a command post with large numbers of militants and armed vehicles and also a large weapons and ammunition depot," the Russian defence ministry said in ... read more

Related Links
The Long War - Doctrine and Application


Thanks for being here;
We need your help. The SpaceDaily news network continues to grow but revenues have never been harder to maintain.

With the rise of Ad Blockers, and Facebook - our traditional revenue sources via quality network advertising continues to decline. And unlike so many other news sites, we don't have a paywall - with those annoying usernames and passwords.

Our news coverage takes time and effort to publish 365 days a year.

If you find our news sites informative and useful then please consider becoming a regular supporter or for now make a one off contribution.

SpaceDaily Contributor
$5 Billed Once


credit card or paypal
SpaceDaily Monthly Supporter
$5 Billed Monthly


paypal only

Comment using your Disqus, Facebook, Google or Twitter login.

Share this article via these popular social media networks
del.icio.usdel.icio.us DiggDigg RedditReddit GoogleGoogle

TERROR WARS
Russia conducts ballistic missile tests

Report: Japan eyeing SM-6 missiles for defense program

Lockheed Martin missile defense sensor technology receives prototyping contract

Lockheed Martin to develop missile defense tools under DoD deal

TERROR WARS
Indonesia orders NASAMS air defense system

Brazil orders man-portable air defense system from Saab

Lithuania buys Norwegian air defence system amid Russia fears

'How to survive a N. Korean missile' - in Japanese manga form

TERROR WARS
Insitu awarded $9.2M for parts, sustainment of RQ-21A

New RoboBee flies, dives, swims and explodes out the of water

Boeing invests in autonomous flight technology company

Drone Aviation awarded contract for Enhanced WASP Tactical Aerostat from US Defense Dept

TERROR WARS
First order for Elta ELK-1882T SATCOM network system

82nd Airborne tests in-flight communication system for paratroopers

NRL clarifies valley polarization for electronic and optoelectronic technologies

Harris supplying tactical radios to Navy, Marines

TERROR WARS
US court blocks Trump's military transgender ban

CACI International to support Army C4ISR

State Department approves Kuwaiti M1A1 tank deal

Lockheed gets Air Force production order for Paveway II kits

TERROR WARS
Lockheed, Navantia renew collaborative agreement

Philippines' Duterte receives Russian assault rifles

Whistleblower protection bill sent to President as complaints of retaliation grow

UK defence giant BAE Systems to axe almost 2,000 jobs

TERROR WARS
US releases Russian defense firms sanctions list

China crowns Xi with name once reserved for Mao Zedong

NATO challenges Russia on military drill numbers

NATO ill-prepared for a Russian attack: report

TERROR WARS
New technique produces tunable, nanoporous materials

Terahertz spectroscopy goes nano

Nanotube fiber antennas as capable as copper

Jumping nanoparticles




Memory Foam Mattress Review
Newsletters :: SpaceDaily :: SpaceWar :: TerraDaily :: Energy Daily
XML Feeds :: Space News :: Earth News :: War News :: Solar Energy News






The content herein, unless otherwise known to be public domain, are Copyright 1995-2017 - Space Media Network. All websites are published in Australia and are solely subject to Australian law and governed by Fair Use principals for news reporting and research purposes. AFP, UPI and IANS news wire stories are copyright Agence France-Presse, United Press International and Indo-Asia News Service. ESA news reports are copyright European Space Agency. All NASA sourced material is public domain. Additional copyrights may apply in whole or part to other bona fide parties. All articles labeled "by Staff Writers" include reports supplied to Space Media Network by industry news wires, PR agencies, corporate press officers and the like. Such articles are individually curated and edited by Space Media Network staff on the basis of the report's information value to our industry and professional readership. Advertising does not imply endorsement, agreement or approval of any opinions, statements or information provided by Space Media Network on any Web page published or hosted by Space Media Network. Privacy Statement