by Staff Writers
Geneva (AFP) Aug 17, 2017
Territory still controlled by the Islamic State group in Raqa is "the worst place" in Syria, the UN said Thursday, as fresh reports emerged of more civilians killed by US-led coalition air strikes.
The Syrian Observatory for Human Rights said 21 children were among at least 59 civilians killed since Monday in the air strikes aimed at dislodging the jihadists from Raqa.
"The worst place probably today in Syria is the part of Raqa that is still held by the so-called Islamic state," the UN's humanitarian pointman for Syria, Jan Egeland, told reporters in Geneva.
The UN estimates there are up to 25,000 civilians trapped inside Raqa, the jihadist group's erstwhile de facto Syrian capital.
"They are encircled by the SDF (Syrian Democratic Forces) fighters and they are used seemingly as human shields by the Islamic state," Egeland added, noting the "constant air raids" by the US-led coalition.
"We are therefore urging the coalition, the SDF whom we can deal with to allow as much as they can people to escape", the UN official added.
The SDF, a Kurdish-Arab alliance backed by the multinational coalition, was on Thursday battling the jihadists in Raqa's Old City, of which it now controls 70 percent, according to the Britain-based Observatory.
The SDF also fought IS in the western district of Al-Dariya and the northwestern neighbourhood of Al-Barid, as well as on the outskirts of the central district of Al-Murur, it said.
The coalition has repeatedly stressed it takes every precaution to avoid civilian casualties.
But it has recognised 624 such deaths in its air strikes since 2014, a figure which many rights groups say is vastly underestimated.
The SDF launched an operation to capture Raqa province from IS last year, and in June the alliance broke into Raqa city for the first time.
It now holds more than half of the city, but the fighting has proved fierce and civilians have been killed both in the crossfire and while trying to flee.
Humanitarian workers believe "the situation couldn't be worse for these women, children (and) civilians who are now in this crossfire," Egeland told reporters.
Bogota (AFP) Aug 16, 2017
Colombia announced plans Wednesday to protect demobilized members of the FARC rebel force, whose leaders say some of their ex-fighters have been murdered. The 7,000 members of the Revolutionary Armed Forces of Colombia have disarmed under a peace deal and are preparing to enter civilian and political life. Defense Minister Luis Carlos Villegas said the government would send thousands of ... read more
Space War News
|The content herein, unless otherwise known to be public domain, are Copyright 1995-2017 - Space Media Network. All websites are published in Australia and are solely subject to Australian law and governed by Fair Use principals for news reporting and research purposes. AFP, UPI and IANS news wire stories are copyright Agence France-Presse, United Press International and Indo-Asia News Service. ESA news reports are copyright European Space Agency. All NASA sourced material is public domain. Additional copyrights may apply in whole or part to other bona fide parties. All articles labeled "by Staff Writers" include reports supplied to Space Media Network by industry news wires, PR agencies, corporate press officers and the like. Such articles are individually curated and edited by Space Media Network staff on the basis of the report's information value to our industry and professional readership. Advertising does not imply endorsement, agreement or approval of any opinions, statements or information provided by Space Media Network on any Web page published or hosted by Space Media Network. Privacy Statement|