Subscribe to our free daily newsletters
. Military Space News .




Subscribe to our free daily newsletters



Iran Says US Military Strike Talk Psychological Warfare

Iranian hardline students hold portraits of Iran's late founder of Islamic republic Ayatollah Khomeini during a protest outside the Supreme National Security Council's office over the upcoming Iran-US negotiations on Iraq, 08 April 2006 in Tehran. Talks between Iran and the United States on Iraq will not take place next week as indicated by earlier reports, but "will certainly take place at the right time and under certain conditions," an unnamed source in the Iranian embassy in Baghdad told the state news agency IRNA. AFP Photo/Behrouz Mehri
by Farhad Pouladi
Tehran (AFP) Apr 10, 2006
Iran branded as "psychological warfare" Sunday media reports that the US military was planning air strikes to force Tehran to abandon its controversial nuclear program. "We regard that (planning for air strikes) as psychological warfare stemming from America's anger and helplessness," foreign ministry spokesman Hamid Reza Asefi told reporters.

Two US publications reported over the weekend that the White House is studying options for military strikes against Iran's nuclear facilities, with one even suggesting the use of an atomic weapon had been proposed.

The administration of US President George W. Bush, which accuses Tehran of seeking to manufacture a nuclear bomb, has repeatedly said it is keeping all options open even though it supports efforts for a diplomatic solution.

However British Foreign Secretary Jack Straw, whose country was the key US ally in the 2003 invasion of Iraq, dismissed any idea of military action against Tehran.

He told BBC television that the international community was right to view the Islamic republic's nuclear program with "high suspicion" but "there is no smoking gun, there is no 'casus belli' (justification for war)".

"We can't be certain about Iran's intentions and that is therefore not a basis for which anybody would gain authority to go to military action," he said.

Citing unnamed US officials and independent analysts, the Washington Post said no attack appears likely in the short term, but officials are preparing for it as a possible option and using the threat to convince Iranians of the seriousness of their intentions.

Pentagon and CIA planners have been exploring possible targets, such as Iran's underground uranium enrichment facility at Natanz and its uranium conversion plant at Isfahan, both located in central Iran, the report said.

In its April 17 edition, the New Yorker magazine said the US government is planning a massive bombing campaign against Iran, including the use of bunker-buster nuclear bombs to destroy suspected facilities like Natanz.

"The Americans are not seeking a solution for the Iranian nuclear file and are seeking to make crisis. They do not want us to reach an agreement with the International Atomic Energy Agency (IAEA) and the Europeans," Asefi said.

The spokesman warned that Iran "will not give up its nuclear rights," adding that "activities of research on uranium enrichment are continuing normally" in Natanz.

"Sending our file to the UN Security Council will not make us retreat. During the past 27 years, we underwent economic sanctions and in spite of that we made economic, technical and scientific progress," he added.

Asefi confirmed that IAEA chief Mohamed ElBaradei would be visiting Iran this week amid ongoing inspections by the UN watchdog's workers of its nuclear plants. The visit is expected to take place on Thursday, according to the agency.

"He will be in Iran by the end of this week, and his visit is within the framework of our cooperation with the agency," he said.

"We will discuss our nuclear issues with the IAEA, since all of our (nuclear) activities are under the agency's supervision."

Iranian media showed footage of the inspectors working at the Isfahan conversion plant. Iranian television said that the inspectors were in Natanz uranium enrichment facility on Saturday.

"The inspectors are doing their visit according to preplanned inspections and they will remain in Iran for the next two to three days," said Asefi.

"The mere existence of the inspectors in Iran shows our serious cooperation with the IAEA, and we believe that Iran's file should be handled within the framework of the IAEA."

The UN Security Council, in a non-binding statement, called on Iran on March 29 to suspend all its enrichment-related activities in 30 days, a move promptly rejected by Tehran.

The United States accuses Iran of using its civilian nuclear program to hide a drive for nuclear weapons. Tehran denies the charges.

Enrichment is the process used to manufacture fuel for the civil nuclear power stations but can be also used for manufacture core material for atomic bombs.

Source: Agence France-Presse

Related Links
-

North Korean Defense Chief Warns Of Pre-Emptive Attack On US
Seoul (AFP) Apr 10, 2006
North Korea's defense chief has warned that Pyongyang could also launch a preemptive attack against the United States, with state media saying soldiers were ready to be "human bombs."







  • Rice Warns Congress Against Tinkering With US-India Nuclear Deal
  • US Concerned Over India-Iran Ties Says Rice
  • Russia Watches US In Asia
  • After The US-India Deal What Comes Next

  • Iran Says US Military Strike Talk 'Psychological Warfare'
  • Moscow's Move In Iran Crisis
  • North Korean Defense Chief Warns Of Pre-Emptive Attack On US
  • NKorean Nuclear Negotiators To Meet In Tokyo

  • Raytheon Makes First International Joint Standoff Weapon Sale To Turkey
  • LockMart Develops JASSM Cruise Missile Weapon Data Link
  • Iran Test Fires Third Missile In A Week
  • US Skeptical On Fajr-3 Claims

  • Poland Set For Talks On Hosting US Missile Defence Site
  • US Allies Embrace BMD
  • LM Completes Testing On Aegis Ballistic Missile Defense Upgrade
  • BMD Dreams And Realities

  • BAE Systems To Sell Airbus Stake, EADS Likely Buyers
  • DaimlerChrysler And Lagardere Cut Stake In EADS
  • Lockheed Martin Delivers F-22 Raptor To Second Operational Squadron
  • CAESAR Triumphs As New Gen Of Radar Takes Flight

  • Northrop Grumman Completes Upgrade Initiative For All US LITENING Pods
  • Increasing Endurance And Persistence In US Military Drones And UAVs
  • Unmanned SkyTote Demonstrates Capabilities
  • Boeing UUV Indicates Compatibility, Utility With US Navy Submarines

  • One Iraqi Dictator Replaced By A Thousand
  • Fronts Keep Multiplying In Iraq
  • Wolfowitz Says World Bank Has Role In Rebuilding Iraq
  • Iraq's Last Chance For Peace

  • China Close To Testing New Prototype Of Combat Jet Co-Developed With Pakistan
  • GAO, CBO Warn About Future Combat System
  • Work Begins On Arming Trident Submarines With Non-Nuclear Weapons
  • Lockheed Martin Delivers New F-16 For Poland Peace Sky Program

  • The content herein, unless otherwise known to be public domain, are Copyright 1995-2006 - SpaceDaily.AFP and UPI Wire Stories are copyright Agence France-Presse and United Press International. ESA PortalReports are copyright European Space Agency. All NASA sourced material is public domain. Additionalcopyrights may apply in whole or part to other bona fide parties. Advertising does not imply endorsement,agreement or approval of any opinions, statements or information provided by SpaceDaily on any Web page published or hosted by SpaceDaily. Privacy Statement