By Ammar Karim with Abdel Hamid Zebari in Arbil
Baghdad (AFP) Nov 20, 2017
Iraq's top court on Monday declared the Kurdish north's independence referendum in September to be unconstitutional, firing a new salvo in the political crisis with the autonomous region.
The legal move marked the latest stage in the dispute between Baghdad and Kurdish regional capital Arbil sparked by the referendum, which resulted in a resounding "yes" vote for independence in the Kurdish area.
A statement said the Supreme Court "rendered a decision declaring unconstitutional the referendum held on September 25, 2017 in Iraqi Kurdistan... and cancelling all the consequences and results".
Last week, as the deadline announced by the court for its decision on the constitutionality of the referendum approached, the Kurdistan government said it "respected" the decisions taken by Iraq's highest court.
It also said it respected a previous decision on Article 1 in the constitution insisting on Iraqi unity, which could be a basis for dialogue.
On Monday, the court again cited this article in its ruling, saying that the holding of the Kurdish independence referendum "contradicts and contravenes it", its spokesman Ayas al-Samuk said in the statement.
Parliament in Baghdad is currently reviewing the federal budget for the coming year, including the allocation for the Kurdish region.
Kurdish premier Nechirvan Barzani at a press conference in Arbil denounced the court's "unilateral" decision taken without consulting representatives of the autonomous region.
He also said he was "ready for dialogue" with Baghdad.
Earlier Abdel Salam Barwari, a former deputy and member of former Kurdish leader Massud Barzani's Kurdistan Democratic Party, also rejected it.
"It was a predictable decision given the past of this court and the fact that it has now become a political tool," he told AFP.
In Baghdad, Prime Minister Haider al-Abadi hailed the court decision, saying his government "rejected this referendum and refused to have anything to do with it".
- Severe repercussions -
Last month, the UN Security Council urged the Iraqi government and regional leaders in Kurdistan to set a timetable for talks to end the crisis.
The world body's appeal came after Baghdad dismissed an offer from Iraqi Kurdish leaders to freeze the outcome of the referendum and hold talks.
Rejecting the freeze offer, Abadi instead demanded the annulment of the independence vote.
September's referendum was initiated by Barzani, for whom the repercussions were severe.
At the end of October he announced he was stepping aside, having lost almost all of the territory disputed between Arbil and Baghdad.
On October 16, Iraqi government and paramilitary forces had moved in to take over all of the disputed areas.
Under the constitution, these areas come under the central government in Baghdad, with their status to be discussed in future negotiations.
The Kurds also lost all of the oil resources in Kirkuk province that could have ensured the viability of a hypothetical Kurdish state.
Since the US-led invasion of Iraq in 2003 and in the wake of the chaos created in 2014 by a sweeping Islamic State group offensive, Kurdish peshmerga forces had filled a security vacuum in the north.
But in the space of just two weeks, Baghdad retook control of almost all of these areas with the aim of returning to the "blue line" of 2003, limiting Iraqi Kurdistan to the three northern provinces of Dohuk, Arbil and Sulaimaniyah.
The two sides also took part in a tit-for-tat wave of arrest warrants aimed at respective political and military figures.
The Kurds issued warrants for 11 Iraqi figures, and a Baghdad court did the same for the organisers of the referendum and the vice-president of Iraqi Kurdistan.
The crisis with the Kurdish areas came with Baghdad also battling to rid the country of the remnants of the jihadist fighters who had dug in after their lightning campaign three years ago swept across swathes of neighbouring Syria and Iraq.
Washington (AFP) Nov 16, 2017
US troops who served in Afghanistan were previously told that "nothing could be done" about child sex abuse at the hands of Afghan security forces, according to a government report released Thursday. The Department of Defense's Office of the Inspector General began reviewing Pentagon guidance for troops deploying to Afghanistan following a series of news stories in 2015 about widespread pedo ... read more
News From Across The Stans
|The content herein, unless otherwise known to be public domain, are Copyright 1995-2017 - Space Media Network. All websites are published in Australia and are solely subject to Australian law and governed by Fair Use principals for news reporting and research purposes. AFP, UPI and IANS news wire stories are copyright Agence France-Presse, United Press International and Indo-Asia News Service. ESA news reports are copyright European Space Agency. All NASA sourced material is public domain. Additional copyrights may apply in whole or part to other bona fide parties. All articles labeled "by Staff Writers" include reports supplied to Space Media Network by industry news wires, PR agencies, corporate press officers and the like. Such articles are individually curated and edited by Space Media Network staff on the basis of the report's information value to our industry and professional readership. Advertising does not imply endorsement, agreement or approval of any opinions, statements or information provided by Space Media Network on any Web page published or hosted by Space Media Network. Privacy Statement|