Jerusalem (AFP) Feb 28, 2011
Israel's Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu met on Monday with Quartet envoy Tony Blair, as negotiators sought to coax Israel and the Palestinians into dialogue.
Israeli officials confirmed the two had met but refused to give details of what was discussed, as media reports suggested the premier was shying away from sending his chief negotiator to Brussels to meet representatives of the Middle East Quartet.
Later, Netanyahu cautioned lawmakers from his hardline Likud party that Israel was facing intense international pressure over the construction of settlements in the West Bank.
"We are currently making efforts to maintain the existing construction, but we must understand that we are (faced with) a very difficult international reality," the Haaretz daily quoted him as saying.
His comments came amid protests from the lawmakers over the destruction of a building in a wildcat West Bank settlement outpost early Monday by Israeli forces.
Netanyahu said Israel needed to act with restraint, citing the new reality in the Middle East and noted that getting the United States to veto a recent UN Security Council resolution condemning settlement construction "took great effort."
"We could keep banging our heads against the wall, but that's not how I do things," he said.
Direct peace talks between the two sides broke down late last year over Jewish settlement expansion in the occupied West Bank.
Israel refused to extend a 10-month partial settlement freeze and the Palestinians, who say they will not negotiate while Jewish settlers build on land they want for a future state, refused to continue with the talks.
Since then the international community has been searching in vain for a way to get them back to the negotiating table.
The Quartet chiefs -- EU foreign policy chief Catherine Ashton, US Secretary of State Hillary Clinton, Russian Foreign Minister Sergei Lavrov and UN head Ban Ki-moon -- who last met in Munich on February 5, are due to meet again in Paris at an unspecified date in March.
Ahead of the principals' meeting, their Middle East envoys are to hold separate talks with Israeli and Palestinian negotiators in Brussels on March 2, according to EU officials.
Officials at Blair's office in Jerusalem confirmed that Quartet envoys were holding a series of meetings in Brussels this week and were expected to meet both Israeli and Palestinian representatives.
But reports in two Israeli newspapers said Netanyahu had not yet given the green light to his chief negotiator, Yitzhak Molcho, to attend the talks later this week.
"Netanyahu has voiced his reservations to the meeting, fearing that by agreeing he would open the door to international influence on the terms of the renewed talks.
"Specifically, the premier is worried of being forced to resume talks toward a Palestinian state based on the 1967 borders," the Haaretz newspaper said.
Quoting sources in Netanyahu's office, the paper said he had been trying to find out from Washington more about the aim and goals of the Brussels session, before making a decision.
Briefing the UN Security Council last week, UN peace envoy Robert Serry said Quartet officials understood that there was a need for much clearer parametres in order for the two sides to negotiate properly.
"It is becoming increasingly clear that a more concrete and substantive basis would have to be laid out for the parties to engage. The Quartet must play its full role in this regard," he said.
Meanwhile, chief Palestinian negotiator Saeb Erakat and two others were in Brussels for a round of talks with Quartet officials, sources in Ramallah said.
Erakat resigned on February 12 over the theft from his office of thousands of confidential documents on peace talks with Israel, which were subsequently leaked to Al-Jazeera and the London Guardian. However, his resignation was never formally accepted by Palestinian Authority president Mahmud Abbas.
Share This Article With Planet Earth
Third Greek ferry of Chinese fleeing Libya arrives in Crete
Heraklion, Greece (AFP) Feb 26, 2011
A third Greek ferry chartered by China to evacuate its nationals from Libya cast anchor in the port of Heraklion on the southern Greek island of Crete early Saturday. The Venizelos, which had come from the Libyan second city Benghazi, now in the hand of insurgents, immediately began disembarking its 2,911 passengers. The Olympic Champion and Hellenic Spirit had already put into Heraklion ... read more
Israel successfully tests Arrow anti-missile system|
Knesset urges $1.4 billion Iron Dome buy
Surface Combat Systems Center Tests Aegis BMD Capabilities
Boeing And Northrop Grumman Submit Proposal For Missile Defense Competitive Contract
Enhancing The Protection Of Rotary Aircraft Against Missiles
JLENS Program Achieves Critical Milestone
System Integration Test For SM-3 Kinetic Warhead Completed
$7 bn UAE missile deal expected this spring
Fire Scout Completes First Unmanned Test Flights On Littoral Combat Ship
K-MAX Achieves Numerous Firsts During Recent Demo Flights
Northrop Grumman Awarded UAS Common Architecture Working Group Contract
AeroVironment Develops World's First Fully Operational Life-Size Hummingbird-Like Unmanned Aircraft for DARPA
ONR Moves A Modular Space Communications Asset Into Unmanned Aircraft For Marines
Northrop Grumman Next-Gen FBCB2 System Approved For Fielding
Boeing To Demonstrate Aviation Command And Control Subsystem For US Marine Corps
RC-12X Aircraft Provides Highly-Capable SIGINT Systems To Warfighter
LockMart Receives Major Contract Modification For F-22 Raptor Sustainment
Boeing Receives Second Option Of B-52 Engineering Sustainment Contract
A Device Enables The Remote Explosion Of Improvised Land-Mines
Boeing EA-18G Growlers Deployed by US Navy
EADS 'evaluating' US Air Force tanker award data
Britain may scrap Tornadoes to save $1.6B
Libya arms embargo halts boom for Italy, Russia
India hikes defence spending by 12 percent
Japan, China agree to patch up ties
Mullen Mideast trip shows US 'worry': Iran general
US top military officer visits Gulf amid Arab revolts
Taiwan cardinal eyes China-Vatican dialogue
Scientists Build World's First Anti-Laser
Yale scientists build 'anti-laser'
'Air laser' could find bombs at a distance
ONR Achieves Milestone In Free Electron Laser Program
|The content herein, unless otherwise known to be public domain, are Copyright 1995-2010 - SpaceDaily. AFP and UPI Wire Stories are copyright Agence France-Presse and United Press International. ESA Portal Reports are copyright European Space Agency. All NASA sourced material is public domain. Additional copyrights may apply in whole or part to other bona fide parties. Advertising does not imply endorsement,agreement or approval of any opinions, statements or information provided by SpaceDaily on any Web page published or hosted by SpaceDaily. Privacy Statement|