Tokyo (AFP) Sept 30, 2010
Japan's Prime Minister Naoto Kan on Thursday called on China to free a remaining Japanese detainee held in a bitter row between the two nations, hours after the release of three Japanese nationals.
China freed three of the four Japanese men held for allegedly filming a military site but warned Tokyo to stop making "irresponsible remarks" over the standoff, which has lasted more than three weeks after a ship collision in disputed waters.
"I urge (China) to release the person still held as soon as possible," Kan told reporters, according to Japanese news agencies.
The row started after a Chinese trawler collided with two Japanese coastguard vessels near a disputed island chain in the East China Sea on September 7.
The trawler's captain was arrested the next day, prompting Beijing to suspend high-level contacts with Tokyo. The four Japanese were arrested later in a separate incident.
Kan reiterated that the disputed islets -- called Senkaku in Japan and Diaoyu in China -- "are an intergral part of our country's territory, and there is no sovereignty issue."
Chinese foreign ministry spokeswoman Jiang Yu told reporters: "We hope Japan can... stop making irresponsible remarks and safeguard the larger interests of bilateral relations with concrete actions."
"We are willing to resolve our disputes through friendly negotiations but the Chinese government's and people's will and resolve are unswerving on issues involving China's territorial integrity and sovereignty."
Jiang spoke after authorities in northern China's Hebei province released three out of four men who were detained last week on suspicion of illegally entering a restricted military zone and shooting video footage.
They were identified by Japanese media as Yoshiro Sasaki, 44, Hiroki Hashimoto, 39, and Junichi Iguchi, 59. China's official Xinhua news agency said they were freed after admitting violating the law.
But the fourth man, identified by Japan's Jiji Press as 57-year-old Sadamu Takahashi, was still under investigation.
"Relevant authorities will handle this case according to law," Jiang said.
Their employer, Tokyo-based construction company Fujita, said they had been visiting the city of Shijiazhuang to prepare a bid for a project to dispose of chemical weapons left in China by invading Japanese forces in the 1930s.
"We still do not know why they were detained," Japan's top government spokesman Yoshito Sengoku said according to Kyodo News. "We are asking China for detailed accounts of the incident and urging it to ensure the safety of the remaining one."
The dispute between the two countries is the worst in years, and has undermined painstaking recent efforts to improve relations marked by decades of mistrust stemming from Japan's brutal invasion and occupation of China in the 1930s and '40s.
Last week, Japan released the trawler captain involved in the maritime incident near the disputed islands, which are claimed by both countries as well as Taiwan.
But the war of words has continued and traders in Tokyo said Beijing had disrupted exports to Japan of rare earth minerals, which Japanese high-tech firms rely on for making a variety of products.
China has repeatedly denied blocking shipments of the materials, used in everything from iPods to wind turbines -- a market in which it has a virtual global monopoly.
Japan's new Foreign Minister Seiji Maehara, considered a China hawk, has said he hopes for an improvement in relations but also that amid the row, "people in the whole world saw a part of China's essential character".
Tokyo is reportedly considering stationing troops near the disputed islets, which lie in an area that has rich fishing grounds and is believed to contain oil and natural gas reserves.
The Chinese foreign ministry spokeswoman meanwhile said Beijing had complained to Tokyo after a man was arrested for allegedly hurling a flare at the Chinese consulate in the western Japanese city of Fukuoka.
Share This Article With Planet Earth
Learn about the Superpowers of the 21st Century at SpaceWar.com
Learn about nuclear weapons doctrine and defense at SpaceWar.com
US ratifies defense pacts with Britain, Australia
Washington (AFP) Sept 30, 2010
In a boon to US ties with Australia and Britain, the US Senate has ratified treaties with both allies to streamline military sales by eliminating most export licenses, officials said Thursday. US President Barack Obama, whose administration had made the pacts a high priority, telephoned British Prime David Cameron to personally share the news, White House spokesman Robert Gibbs said in a sta ... read more
MEADS Life Cycle Costs Significantly Lower Than Fielded Systems|
Northrop Grumman And Boeing Partner For Missile Defense Simulation Architecture Contract
Russia, NATO Should Fully Analyze Missile Threat To Europe
Second Generation Aegis BMD Capability Completes Formal Testing
India's Prithvi-II missile fails to launch
Boeing Completes First Flight Tests Of MK-84 Laser JDAM
Raytheon Awarded Contract For Standard Missile-3 Block IIA
Sweden Signs Production Order Contract For Meteor Missile
First "Power-On" Of New Fire-X Medium-Range Vertical Unmanned System
Pakistani tribesmen protest against US drone strikes
US drone strike kills four militants in Pakistan
Two US drone strikes kill seven militants in Pakistan
Military Terrestrial Satcom Market To Grow Slightly
MEADS Demonstrates Interoperability With NATO
Space security surveillance gets new boost
Raytheon GBS Delivers Full-Motion Video To Improve Intelligence Imagery For Warfighters
Northrop Grumman Partners With US Navy To Advance Rotorcraft Development
Boeing Completes Production Of First Australian Super Hornet
Northrop Grumman Hosts Marine Corps Reps As G/ATOR Enters Final Stages Of Development
Reaper joins British air force in combat
U.K. defense budget cuts worry industry
Israel gets boost in U.S. military aid
British defence minister warns against 'draconian' cuts
Boeing wins 12 billion dollar Pentagon contract
Japan demands China release detainee
US ratifies defense pacts with Britain, Australia
Putin after Putin in Russia
Clown's congress bid irks Brazil politicos
Maritime Laser System Shows Higher Lethality At Longer Ranges
Northrop Grumman To Increase Efficiency For Next-Gen Military Laser Technology
Boeing Receives Task Order For Design Of Free Electron Laser Lab Demonstrator
Lasers could protect helicopters from harm
|The content herein, unless otherwise known to be public domain, are Copyright 1995-2010 - SpaceDaily. AFP and UPI Wire Stories are copyright Agence France-Presse and United Press International. ESA Portal Reports are copyright European Space Agency. All NASA sourced material is public domain. Additional copyrights may apply in whole or part to other bona fide parties. Advertising does not imply endorsement,agreement or approval of any opinions, statements or information provided by SpaceDaily on any Web page published or hosted by SpaceDaily. Privacy Statement|