Subscribe free to our newsletters via your
. Military Space News .


Subscribe free to our newsletters via your




















THE STANS
Key Kandahar offensive faces delays: US commander

US, Kyrgyzstan in talks on fuel supplies at key air base: US
Washington (AFP) June 10, 2010 - The Pentagon said Thursday it is in talks with Kyrgyzstan's provisional government about fuel supplies for its operations at Manas air base, a key transit point for US troops headed to Afghanistan. Pentagon spokesman Bryan Whitman said the military's current fuel contract expires August 1, and a Defense Department team was in Bishkek to review "technical" requirements for a new fuel contract. Fuel supplies at the base were briefly interrupted in late May, forcing the suspension of flights by KC-135 tanker planes out of the base to conserve fuel.

The disruption followed an attempt by the provisional government to impose a value added tax (VAT) on subcontractors supplying fuel to the US military, Whitman said. The US side argued that the fuel was exempted from taxes under a US-Kyrgyzstan military cooperation agreement signed with the previous government, which was ousted in April after a bloody uprising. The provisional government later suspended the VAT tax, at least temporarily resolving the dispute, but the issue may arise again under the new contract.

So Whitman said the US team was conducting "technical discussions to review in detail with the provisional government the requirements in order to ensure secure, reliable, uninterrupted supplies of fuel." Manas is a key hub for US air refueling tanker planes and for the giant transport planes that ferry US troops and supplies to and from Afghanistan. NATO has increasingly relied on the Manas base, outside Bishkek in the country's north, as 30,000 additional US forces deploy to Afghanistan.

But the US military presence has irritated Russia, placing Kyrgyzstan at the center of a big power rivalry for regional influence. Kyrgyzstan last year threatened to close the base after receiving a promise of more than two billion dollars in aid and loans from Moscow, which many saw as a sign of Russian resentment over the American operation. Bishkek eventually agreed to keep the US base open after Washington more than tripled the rent paid to use Manas. The US base operates round-the-clock, carrying out mid-air refueling missions and medical evacuations while transporting tens of thousands of troops and hundreds of tonnes of cargo every month.
by Staff Writers
Brussels (AFP) June 10, 2010
The commander of NATO forces in Afghanistan said on Thursday a make-or-break operation in the south will move at a slower pace than initially planned, amid a shortage of Afghan security forces and a wary local population.

General Stanley McChrystal and other senior officers had previously said operations around Kandahar -- the birthplace of the Taliban -- would climax this summer with an influx of American forces, but have begun scaling back their statements.

"I do think it will happen more slowly than we originally anticipated," McChrystal told reporters in Brussels.

His forecast echoed comments by his deputy in southern Afghanistan, suggesting the Kandahar area is presenting a bigger challenge than NATO commanders had expected.

The delay in Kandahar, combined with rising casualties and tough fighting in neighbouring Helmand province, raised fresh questions about the course of the war as commanders face intense political pressure on both sides of the Atlantic to show progress.

Brigadier General Ben Hodges, head of US forces in the south, told AFP on Thursday the offensive in outlying districts of Kandahar city could be delayed by two or three months.

A lack of Afghan army and police units meant US special forces were helping villages organise militia to protect themselves against insurgents.

Apart from the shortage of Afghan forces, McChrystal said more political work was required in Kandahar to ensure support from local leaders and the local population.

"I don't intend to hurry it. We want to make sure we've got conditions shaped politically with the local leaders, with the people.

"We really want the people to understand, and literally pull the operation towards them, as opposed to feel as though that they're being forced with something they didn't want."

The commander added that it will "take a number of months for this to play out."

The slower pace in Kandahar partly reflected lessons learned in a February offensive in the neighboring province of Helmand, where US-led forces moved into the Marjah district once dominated by the Taliban.

Setting up a new local government in Marjah proved "even more complex than we thought" and in hindsight, it was clear more advance work should have been done to ensure civilian services there, McChrystal said.

Despite the slowed pace in Kandahar, he said it would be "very clear" by the end of the year if the operation in Kandahar was making progress.

McChrystal, who spoke on the sidelines of a meeting of NATO defence ministers, said a foundation had been laid for success in the war, with plans to begin a handover of security duties to Afghan forces next year.

As part of a surge of US and NATO troops in Afghanistan, McChrystal also said US special operations forces had nearly tripled since he took over a year ago, capturing or killing 121 insurgent leaders.

The Taliban no longer "owned" the Helmand river valley, he said, while training and recruitment of Afghan security forces had dramatically accelerated.

But there was still a shortfall of about 450 instructors to train Afghan forces, and NATO Secretary General Anders Fogh Rasmussen said on Thursday he would lobby allies to close the gap.

Amid escalating violence, a NATO soldier was killed in a bomb attack in the south on Thursday, the 24th to die this week.

The NATO chief said higher casualties had to be expected as a larger international force goes after Taliban strongholds in Helmand and Kandahar.

"I foresee a very tough time in the coming weeks and months," he told a press conference.

earlier related report
US military chief 'grieves' for Afghan wedding deaths
Washington (AFP) June 9, 2010 - US military chief Admiral Mike Mullen on Wednesday offered condolences for the dozens of deaths at an explosion at a wedding in Afghanistan and warned that more bloodshed was expected.

Mullen did not assign blame for the blast but blamed the Taliban for stepping up violence as US forces prepare a long-awaited offensive on their stronghold of Kandahar in southern Afghanistan.

"Our thoughts and our prayers go out to their loved ones. We grieve for them and with them," Mullen said of the blast, which according to a local official killed at least 39 people and wounded 73 more.

"Sadly, there will be more casualties. Of that I am certain," Mullen told a dinner of the Asia Society in Washington.

Mullen pledged renewed determination to fighting the Taliban but warned that the United States and its allies would have to do "heavy lifting."

"We must ourselves resist the temptation to lose heart," he said.

"We will succeed in Afghanistan. We will prevent that country from ever becoming a safe haven again, but it will be a slow, messy and often deadly business," he said.

US troops have fought in Afghanistan since the aftermath of the September 11, 2001 attacks, when the Taliban regime gave haven to Al-Qaeda.



Share This Article With Planet Earth
del.icio.usdel.icio.us DiggDigg RedditReddit
YahooMyWebYahooMyWeb GoogleGoogle FacebookFacebook



Related Links
News From Across The Stans



Memory Foam Mattress Review
Newsletters :: SpaceDaily :: SpaceWar :: TerraDaily :: Energy Daily
XML Feeds :: Space News :: Earth News :: War News :: Solar Energy News


THE STANS
Taliban down NATO helicopter in bloody week for alliance
Kabul (AFP) June 9, 2010
Taliban militants shot down a NATO helicopter in southern Afghanistan on Wednesday killing four US servicemen and bringing to 23 the number of foreign soldiers killed in escalating violence this week. The International Security Assistance Force (ISAF) helicopter came down in Helmand province, a stronghold of Taliban fighters trying to topple the Western-backed government and eject the 130,00 ... read more







The content herein, unless otherwise known to be public domain, are Copyright 1995-2010 - SpaceDaily. AFP and UPI Wire Stories are copyright Agence France-Presse and United Press International. ESA Portal Reports are copyright European Space Agency. All NASA sourced material is public domain. Additional copyrights may apply in whole or part to other bona fide parties. Advertising does not imply endorsement,agreement or approval of any opinions, statements or information provided by SpaceDaily on any Web page published or hosted by SpaceDaily. Privacy Statement