by Staff Writers
Washington (AFP) Nov 3, 2011
The "vast majority" of remaining US troops in Iraq will be out by mid-December as the American military's withdrawal picks up pace, a US general said Thursday.
Less than 34,000 troops remain in Iraq after reaching a peak of 170,000 in 2007 during a buildup ordered by former president George W. Bush, said Major General Thomas Spoehr, deputy commanding general for the US force in Iraq.
"As I look at the plan, I think it's clear to me that by the time we get to about mid-December or so, the vast majority of the US forces in Iraq -- we plan to have them withdrawn from Iraq by that time," he said via video link from Baghdad.
Under a 2008 security pact, the United States has to pull out all troops by the end of the year. Negotiations for a possibly smaller post-2011 force of a few thousand faltered over the question of legal immunity for American soldiers.
The withdrawal of troops and equipment represented an "immense" logistical effort, with about 1,650 trucks traveling up and down the country on any given day, Spoehr told reporters.
The general compared the undertaking to the famed "Red Ball Express" during World War II, when allied forces rushed supplies by truck to combat troops advancing toward Germany after the D-Day landing.
"I will tell you that right now, as we sit here, we are deep in the midst of this. So there are trucks and planes and people moving very quickly at a high rate of speed throughout Iraq to execute our commitments," Spoehr said.
But he added that the withdrawal would be carried out in a "measured way" to guard against potential insurgent attacks as the troops depart.
US officers have therefore decided not to divulge details of the planned withdrawal as information released previously about base closures appeared to have prompted attacks, according to Spoehr.
US forces, which once operated out of 505 bases during the height of the "surge" of additional troops in 2007, now have only 12 bases left in the country.
Most troops will be leaving by air with truck convoys carrying equipment to neighboring Kuwait.
President Barack Obama's administration is weighing a possible expansion of the US military's presence in Kuwait and the Gulf region after the troop withdrawal from Iraq, in a move officials say would be designed to counter the threat posed by Tehran.
Iraq: The first technology war of the 21st century
Comment on this article via your Facebook, Yahoo, AOL, Hotmail login.
Eight killed in Iraq motorbike bombings: doctor
Basra, Iraq (AFP) Nov 2, 2011
Three motorbikes rigged with explosives blew up in the southern Iraqi port city of Basra late on Wednesday, killing at least eight people and wounding at least 22, a doctor and police said. A doctor at Sadr Hospital in Basra said that at least eight people were killed and 22 wounded in the blasts, while a police lieutenant colonel gave the same toll. Basra province police chief General F ... read more
|The content herein, unless otherwise known to be public domain, are Copyright 1995-2011 - Space Media Network. AFP and UPI Wire Stories are copyright Agence France-Presse and United Press International. ESA Portal Reports are copyright European Space Agency. All NASA sourced material is public domain. Additional copyrights may apply in whole or part to other bona fide parties. Advertising does not imply endorsement,agreement or approval of any opinions, statements or information provided by Space Media Network on any Web page published or hosted by Space Media Network. Privacy Statement|