by Staff Writers
Kunduz, Afghanistan (AFP) Nov 6, 2017
NATO's mission in Afghanistan was investigating claims Monday that civilians were killed or injured during a joint operation with Afghan troops over the weekend.
Scores of Taliban militants were killed in an airstrike that also left at least one civilian dead and six wounded in the northeastern province of Kunduz, provincial governor Asadullah Omarkhail told reporters.
But a villager in Char Dara district, which was targeted by the airstrike, told AFP that 11 civilians had been killed in the operation against insurgents.
"The Taliban ordered the villagers to go to the site of the airstrike and remove the dead and wounded Taliban fighters. There were 16 killed -- 11 of them were civilians," said the villager, Naqibullah.
Provincial council member Khosh Mohammad said 13 civilians died in the attack, including women and children, and 13 others were wounded.
"People abandoned their homes out of fear but some stayed to protect their houses," Mohammad told AFP.
It is not clear if the airstrike was conducted by Afghan or US forces and whether it happened Friday or Saturday.
Kunduz army commander Brigadier General Zmarai Faizy said villagers in Char Dara had been given advance warning of the military operation and told to leave their homes.
"The Taliban forced the villagers to evacuate the bodies of their fighters from the rubble -- maybe they killed the civilians and blamed the Afghan forces for it," Faizy said.
Captain Tom Gresback, spokesman for the NATO mission known as Resolute Support, said an investigation was under way.
"Resolute Support takes all allegations of civilian casualties seriously," Gresback said in a statement posted on Twitter late Sunday.
Civilian casualties from airstrikes -- a politically sensitive issue in Afghanistan -- have surged this year as the United States intensifies aerial bombardments and Afghanistan's fledgling air force carries out its own bombings.
US aircraft dropped 751 bombs and missiles on Taliban and Islamic State militants in September, up 50 percent from August and the highest since October 2010, according to US Air Forces Central Command data.
A recent UN report showed 466 civilian deaths or injuries from airstrikes between January and September, up 52 percent from the same period last year, with women and children accounting for more than two thirds of the victims.
The US is the only foreign force in Afghanistan carrying out airstrikes.
Baghdad (AFP) Nov 5, 2017
Sports clubs and players in Iraqi Kurdistan are facing the threat of a spell on the sidelines as the crisis between the region and Baghdad sees matches suspended and away trips cancelled. For the first time ever, two basketball teams from the region will miss the start of the Iraqi league season, after Kurdish authorities and the central government went from a war of words about a vote for i ... read more
News From Across The Stans
|The content herein, unless otherwise known to be public domain, are Copyright 1995-2017 - Space Media Network. All websites are published in Australia and are solely subject to Australian law and governed by Fair Use principals for news reporting and research purposes. AFP, UPI and IANS news wire stories are copyright Agence France-Presse, United Press International and Indo-Asia News Service. ESA news reports are copyright European Space Agency. All NASA sourced material is public domain. Additional copyrights may apply in whole or part to other bona fide parties. All articles labeled "by Staff Writers" include reports supplied to Space Media Network by industry news wires, PR agencies, corporate press officers and the like. Such articles are individually curated and edited by Space Media Network staff on the basis of the report's information value to our industry and professional readership. Advertising does not imply endorsement, agreement or approval of any opinions, statements or information provided by Space Media Network on any Web page published or hosted by Space Media Network. Privacy Statement|