Subscribe free to our newsletters via your
. Military Space News .

Subscribe free to our newsletters via your

NATO struggles to find troops for Afghanistan

Italy not planning Afghan troop increase: defence minister
Italy has no plans for now to send more troops to Afghanistan, the country's defence minister said Monday after the top US commander there warned the war could be lost without additional soldiers. "For the time being, there is no increase planned," Ignazio La Russa said on La 7 television. His comments also came as Italians on Monday paid their last respects to six soldiers killed in Kabul last week with a solemn state funeral amid debate over their country's role in the fighting in Afghanistan. Some 3,250 Italian troops are based in the conflict-torn country. La Russa said he wanted to "carefully study" the report from the top US and NATO commander, General Stanley McChrystal, who warned the war against the Taliban could be lost within a year without more troops. McChrystal made the comments in a confidential report obtained by The Washington Post and published Monday. "It is possible that he is right on the fact that more soldiers are needed on the ground, but that does not automatically mean that the Italians are the ones who must send more troops," La Russa said. "There are other important countries that have fewer troops and also countries that do not participate" in NATO's Afghanistan mission, he said. Should NATO decide to send more troops, "it is more probable that Italy will say that it will be up to others to do it," the minister said. Italian Prime Minister Silvio Berlusconi said on Thursday that "We are keen to bring our boys home as soon as possible," but "this is something that we cannot decide alone, because otherwise we would affect the confidence of other countries present there."
by Staff Writers
Brussels (AFP) Sept 21, 2009
NATO nations, wracked by budget shortages and engaged in an unpopular war with mounting casualties, will struggle to satisfy the demands of the top commander in Afghanistan for more troops.

In a 66-page assessment of the fight against Taliban-led insurgents, General Stanley McChrystal urges NATO and its partners to boost their military presence and bridge a security gap over the next year until the Afghan army is stronger.

As part of a new strategy, he said in the confidential document leaked to major US newspapers, troops would protect ordinary Afghans and win their confidence rather than focus only on the resilient insurgency.

At the same time, forces have to train Afghan police and the military as planners target a doubling in local security forces from around 134,000 troops and some 80,000 police to more than 400,000 personnel combined.

"His strategy is to occupy more ground, and for that you need more troops," said Francois Heisbourg, at the strategic research foundation in Paris.

But commanders in Afghanistan have repeatedly called for extra forces since NATO took command of the International Security Assistance Force (ISAF) in 2003, and nations have proved slow and reluctant to stump up resources.

"The campaign in Afghanistan has been historically under-resourced and remains so today -- ISAF is operating in a culture of poverty," McChrystal said in his assessment. "Consequently, ISAF requires more forces."

He warned that "inadequate resources will likely result in failure", and said bluntly that if nations forge ahead "without a new strategy, the mission should not be resourced".

ISAF numbers around 65,400 troops drawn from some 40 nations, according to NATO figures from July. A further 40,000 troops are involved in Operation Enduring Freedom, the US-led effort focused on Al-Qaeda.

McChrystal is to send a review of the new requirements at a later date.

At NATO, officials refer to the assessment as a "preliminary" or "draft", raising questions about how much will be taken on board, eight years after the Taliban were forced out of power by a US-led coalition.

NATO spokesman James Appathurai said Monday that the document was "subject to the normal consultations between the capitals of member countries," and that "a military analysis is also being conducted".

He underlined: "We will not be looking at the question of possible reinforcements until this debate has been finalised."

The economic crisis has cut deeply into military budgets and politicians are wary as publics turn against NATO's biggest and most ambitious operation following casualties in major operations in July.

Those missions were launched to prepare for presidential and provincial elections in August, but the polls were tainted by allegations of fraud, undermining local and international support even more.

"We're in a bind," said Heisbourg. "We're perceived as being foreign occupiers but we are incapable of occupation. Things can't go on like this."

"We have to get out of this quagmire and pack our bags, in consultation with neighhbouring countries," he said.

But according to European Union Institute for Security Studies expert Luis Peral, who contributed to the assessment, McChrystal is "conscious that the way the previous strategy was launched and implemented was a big mistake".

The priority now, he said, is "protecting the people".

"The most important part is the qualitative change in strategy. It's closer to the European vision," he said.

But this new approach will hardly have European allies queuing up to send extra troops.

Despite insisting he's an optimist, Peral said: "perhaps it's a little too late to re-engage the Europeans."

Share This Article With Planet Earth DiggDigg RedditReddit
YahooMyWebYahooMyWeb GoogleGoogle FacebookFacebook

Related Links
News From Across The Stans

Memory Foam Mattress Review
Newsletters :: SpaceDaily :: SpaceWar :: TerraDaily :: Energy Daily
XML Feeds :: Space News :: Earth News :: War News :: Solar Energy News

Witnesses retract testimonies in case Kurdish killings case
Diyarbakir, Turkey (AFP) Sept 18, 2009
The trial of a Turkish colonel and six others over the alleged summary killing of 20 Kurds took a new turn Friday as two prosecution witnesses said they were forced to implicate the defendants. "My testimony is invalid. I signed it without knowing the content," Firat Altin, a former Kurdish militant, told the court in Diyarbakir, adding that he had faced "threats and blackmail" by judicial ... read more

The content herein, unless otherwise known to be public domain, are Copyright 1995-2009 - SpaceDaily. AFP and UPI Wire Stories are copyright Agence France-Presse and United Press International. ESA Portal Reports are copyright European Space Agency. All NASA sourced material is public domain. Additional copyrights may apply in whole or part to other bona fide parties. Advertising does not imply endorsement,agreement or approval of any opinions, statements or information provided by SpaceDaily on any Web page published or hosted by SpaceDaily. Privacy Statement