. Military Space News .
NUKEWARS
N. Korea warns S. Korea of retaliatory strikes
by Staff Writers
Seoul (AFP) May 28, 2016


North Korea on Saturday warned South Korea of "merciless retaliatory strikes", a day after the South fired warning shots at North Korean boats near their disputed sea border.

The North's military General Staff said from now on it would open fire without warning at any South Korean ships if they intrude "even 0.001 millimetres" into disputed waters in the Yellow Sea.

It called for the South to apologise for the "reckless military provocation", which it said aimed to "drive the situation in the volatile hotspot to the brink of explosion".

"From now on, we will open direct fire on any warship of the South Korean puppet forces without warning, if it intrudes... even 0.001 mm in the hotspot of the West Sea," it was quoted as saying in a statement carried by Pyongyang's Korean Central News Agency (KCNA).

"They should be mindful that they would face our merciless retaliatory strikes anytime and at any place and in any way", it added.

It accused the South of responding to its efforts to create dialogue with "reckless military provocation".

In recent weeks, Pyongyang has been urging Seoul to accept leader Kim Jong-Un's proposal for military talks aimed at easing cross-border tensions.

Seoul has flatly rejected the offer, insisting that the North should first take a tangible step towards ending its nuclear weapons programmes.

A South Korean naval vessel fired warning shots Friday after a patrol boat from the North and a fishing boat crossed the disputed sea border. The North's boats swiftly retreated.

"This reckless military provocation was evidently prompted by a premeditated sinister plot to bedevil the north-south relations and further aggravate the tension on the Korean peninsula", KCNA said.

Both sides complain of frequent incursions by the other and there were minor naval clashes in 1999, 2002 and 2009.

EU further tightens sanctions on North Korea
Brussels (AFP) May 27, 2016 - The European Union on Friday further tightened sanctions against North Korea over nuclear and ballistic missile tests carried out in defiance of UN Security Council resolutions.

The 28-nation bloc said it adopted new restrictions in the trade, financial, investment and transport sectors in order to complement UN resolutions against the Democratic People's Republic of Korea, the north's official name.

"The EU decided to further expand its restrictive measures targeting the DPRK's nuclear, weapons of mass destruction and ballistic missile programmes," according to a statement from the European Council, which groups EU member states.

It cited the "grave threat to international peace and security in the region and beyond" that North Korean actions pose.

Under the new measures, the EU bans imports of petroleum products and luxury goods from North Korea as well as the sale or transfer to the regime of any civilian material or equipment that can also be used for military purposes.

It also prohibits any financial support for trade with the regime as well as any North Korean investment in the European bloc.

EU nationals and entities are barred from investing in the mining, refining and chemical industries sectors as well as in any entities working on illegal programmes.

The bloc also bans any North Korean aircraft from landing in or taking off from EU territory or even flying over it. And it prohibits any vessel owned, operated or crewed by North Korea from entering EU ports.

Last week the bloc added 18 persons and one entity to its asset freeze and travel ban blacklist, meaning sanctions are now in place against 66 individuals and 42 entities in North Korea.

In March, the UN Security Council imposed the toughest sanctions yet against Pyongyang, including unprecedented inspections of all cargo to and from the notoriously reclusive country which has locked itself away from the rest of the world for the past 60 years.

The UN sanctions also banned or restricted exports of coal, iron and iron ore and other minerals, along with the supply of aviation fuel as part of efforts to get Pyongyang to abandon its nuclear and missile ambitions.

The EU established diplomatic relations with North Korea in 2001 but contacts are minimal. It adopted its first sanctions in 2006.


Thanks for being here;
We need your help. The SpaceDaily news network continues to grow but revenues have never been harder to maintain.

With the rise of Ad Blockers, and Facebook - our traditional revenue sources via quality network advertising continues to decline. And unlike so many other news sites, we don't have a paywall - with those annoying usernames and passwords.

Our news coverage takes time and effort to publish 365 days a year.

If you find our news sites informative and useful then please consider becoming a regular supporter or for now make a one off contribution.
SpaceDaily Contributor
$5 Billed Once


credit card or paypal
SpaceDaily Monthly Supporter
$5 Billed Monthly


paypal only


.


Related Links
Learn about nuclear weapons doctrine and defense at SpaceWar.com
Learn about missile defense at SpaceWar.com
All about missiles at SpaceWar.com
Learn about the Superpowers of the 21st Century at SpaceWar.com






Comment on this article via your Facebook, Yahoo, AOL, Hotmail login.

Share this article via these popular social media networks
del.icio.usdel.icio.us DiggDigg RedditReddit GoogleGoogle

Previous Report
NUKEWARS
N. Korea asks UN chief to explain legal basis for sanctions
Seoul (AFP) May 24, 2016
North Korea has challenged United Nations chief Ban Ki-moon to clarify the legal basis for UN sanctions against it, Pyongyang's state media said Tuesday. The North's permanent representative to the UN wrote to Secretary-General Ban on Monday, saying that UN sanctions imposed over its nuclear tests and "peaceful satellite launches" had no legal foundation, KCNA news agency reported. It di ... read more


NUKEWARS
Lockheed receives Aegis development contract

Harris continues support services for missile defense systems

Israel successfully tests missile defence system at sea: army

US missile shield in Romania goes live to Russian fury

NUKEWARS
Russia's new missile has 250-mile reach

MBDA contracted for Spear 3 missile development

Lockheed gets $321M Long Range Anti-Ship Missile contract

Thousands of Hellfire missiles for UAE

NUKEWARS
U.S. evaluates new Tether Eye ISR platform

Estonian military tests unmanned ground vehicle

Pentagon Buys 'Safe Solution' for Zapping Drones Out of the Sky

Australian Navy flight tests its ScanEagles

NUKEWARS
L-3 Communications to open new facility in Canada

Elbit contracted for tactical communications systems

SpeedCast to build ground station for X-band Satcom Services in Asia-Pacific

Airbus Defence and Space opens a ground station in Australia for its Skynet military satellite

NUKEWARS
Navistar Defense receives MRAP upgrade contract

US concerned about precision bomb shortage: official

SNC gets contract modification for Thor II counter-IED device

Railgun pulse power modules delivered to U.S. Navy

NUKEWARS
EU arms exports to Egypt fuel killings, torture: Amnesty

EU arms exports to Egypt fuel killings, torture: Amnesty

U.K. regulator cuts Rolls-Royce defense contract

White House threatens veto over House defense bill

NUKEWARS
Chinese state media warns G7 against South China Sea 'meddling'

Beijing lines up diplomatic battle groups over South China Sea

G7 says 'concerned' by situation in East, South China seas

Chinese media slam US lifting of Vietnam arms embargo

NUKEWARS
Physicists create first metamaterial with rewritable magnetic ordering

Little ANTs: Researchers build the world's tiniest engine

New movies from the microcosmos

Ultra-long, one-dimensional carbon chains are synthesised for the first time









The content herein, unless otherwise known to be public domain, are Copyright 1995-2024 - Space Media Network. All websites are published in Australia and are solely subject to Australian law and governed by Fair Use principals for news reporting and research purposes. AFP, UPI and IANS news wire stories are copyright Agence France-Presse, United Press International and Indo-Asia News Service. ESA news reports are copyright European Space Agency. All NASA sourced material is public domain. Additional copyrights may apply in whole or part to other bona fide parties. All articles labeled "by Staff Writers" include reports supplied to Space Media Network by industry news wires, PR agencies, corporate press officers and the like. Such articles are individually curated and edited by Space Media Network staff on the basis of the report's information value to our industry and professional readership. Advertising does not imply endorsement, agreement or approval of any opinions, statements or information provided by Space Media Network on any Web page published or hosted by Space Media Network. General Data Protection Regulation (GDPR) Statement Our advertisers use various cookies and the like to deliver the best ad banner available at one time. All network advertising suppliers have GDPR policies (Legitimate Interest) that conform with EU regulations for data collection. By using our websites you consent to cookie based advertising. If you do not agree with this then you must stop using the websites from May 25, 2018. Privacy Statement. Additional information can be found here at About Us.