By Steve Weizman
Jerusalem (AFP) March 17, 2017
Israeli warplanes struck several targets in Syria early Friday, prompting retaliatory missile launches, in the most serious incident between the two countries since the Syrian civil war began six years ago.
Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu said the strikes targeted weapons bound for Lebanon's Hezbollah, and that the Jewish State would do the same again if necessary.
Syria's military said it had downed an Israeli plane and hit another as they were carrying out pre-dawn strikes near the famed desert city of Palmyra that it recaptured from jihadists this month.
The Israeli military denied that any planes had been hit. The Syrian government has made similar unfounded claims in the past.
"The safety of Israeli civilians or the Israeli air force aircraft was at no point compromised," Israeli army spokesman Peter Lerner told AFP.
Netanyahu said in footage aired on Israel's major television networks: "When we identify attempts to transfer advanced weapons to Hezbollah and we have intelligence and it is operationally feasible, we act to prevent it.
"That's how it was yesterday and that's how we shall continue to act," he added.
"We are fully determined and the evidence of that it that we are acting. Everybody must take that into account -- everybody."
The Israeli air force said earlier that it had carried out several strikes on Syria overnight, but that none of the ground-to-air missiles fired by Syrian forces in response had hit Israeli aircraft.
It was an unusual confirmation by the Jewish state of air raids inside Syria.
"Overnight... aircraft targeted several targets in Syria," an Israeli army statement said.
"Several anti-aircraft missiles were launched from Syria following the mission and (Israeli) aerial defence systems intercepted one of the missiles," it said.
None of the missiles fired from Syria hit their targets, the army added.
One missile was intercepted by Israel's Arrow air defence system, Israeli media reported.
It would be one of the first times the system has been used.
A Jordanian military source said shrapnel from one missile fell in the north of the kingdom without causing any casualties.
- 'Significant shift' -
In April 2016, Netanyahu admitted for the first time that Israel had attacked dozens of convoys transporting weapons in Syria destined for Hezbollah, which fought a devastating 2006 war with Israel and is now fighting alongside the Damascus regime.
Israel does not usually confirm or deny each individual raid, but it may have been led to do so this time by the circumstances of the incident.
The missile fired from Syria prompted air raid sirens to sound in the Jordan Valley during the night, the Israeli army said.
Israel and Syria are still technically at war, though the border had remained largely quiet for decades until 2011 when the Syrian conflict began.
Assaf Orion, senior research fellow at Israel's Institute for National Security Studies, said Syria's response was a "significant" shift.
Until now, he said, when Israel attacked Hezbollah convoys there, it "usually went without a response or with an insignificant response from the Syrian side".
"(With this attack) the Syrian regime is trying to tell Israel it can't stand it any more and those actions will not be free of charge."
President Bashar al-Assad's position has been strengthened in recent months with his forces reclaiming all of Syria's second city Aleppo, as well as enjoying continuing Russian support.
Orion said the Syrian leader was feeling emboldened.
"He is saying: 'Don't push me. I am not as weak as I used to be.'"
Yaakov Amidror, a former head of Israel's National Security Council, said weapons convoys of the Iran-backed Hezbollah remained a "red line" and that Israel would continue to attack them when deemed necessary.
The Arrow 3 interceptor, designed to shoot down ballistic missiles, was deployed to Israeli air force ground crews in January after successful testing by Israel and the United States.
Israel seized most of the Golan Heights from Syria in the 1967 Six-Day War and annexed it in 1981, in a move never recognised by the international community.
Israel pays close attention to developments in the Syrian conflict for fear that it could be exploited by its arch-rival Iran to instal allies close to the armistice line on the Golan and Israel's borders.
Pentagon denies hitting Syria mosque, offers photo as proof
The Britain-based Syrian Observatory for Human Rights earlier said warplanes had targeted a mosque in Aleppo province during evening prayers, killing 42 people.
"The mosque is still standing and relatively unscathed," Pentagon spokesman Navy Captain Jeff Davis said.
"The building we targeted was adjacent" and the strike "clearly hit the intended target," he added.
The Pentagon provided a black-and-white image depicting what appeared to be an old mosque with a flattened building a short distance away.
Davis did not say what that destroyed building's purpose had been or whether it could have been somehow connected to the old mosque in the village of Al-Jineh.
The Pentagon does not currently believe there were any civilian casualties resulting from the strike, but Davis said "several terrorists" were killed when the meeting of "dozens" of Al-Qaeda leadership figures in the building was hit.
The head of the Britain-based Observatory said that aside from the 42 people killed, more than 100 were wounded and that many remained trapped under the collapsed structure.
Rescue workers struggled to pull survivors from rubble, and dozens of residents were still unaccounted for, the Observatory said.
Abu Muhammed, a village resident, told AFP that he "heard powerful explosions when the mosque was hit. It was right after the prayer at a time when there is usually religious lessons for men in it."
An AFP reporter at the scene said rescuers earlier left the wreckage site but were forced to double back when they heard moaning coming from the debris.
Beirut (AFP) March 17, 2017
At least 42 people were killed and dozens more wounded on Thursday in air strikes on a village mosque in northern Syria, the Syrian Observatory for Human Rights said. "The raids by unidentified warplanes targeted a mosque in Aleppo province during evening prayers, killing 42 people, most of them civilians," said the head of the Britain-based Observatory Rami Abdel Rahman. "More than 100 ... read more
Space War News
|The content herein, unless otherwise known to be public domain, are Copyright 1995-2017 - Space Media Network. All websites are published in Australia and are solely subject to Australian law and governed by Fair Use principals for news reporting and research purposes. AFP, UPI and IANS news wire stories are copyright Agence France-Presse, United Press International and Indo-Asia News Service. ESA news reports are copyright European Space Agency. All NASA sourced material is public domain. Additional copyrights may apply in whole or part to other bona fide parties. Advertising does not imply endorsement, agreement or approval of any opinions, statements or information provided by Space Media Network on any Web page published or hosted by Space Media Network. Privacy Statement|