by Staff Writers
Jerusalem (AFP) Oct 18, 2011
Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu on Monday deplored the Palestinians' refusal to enter into direct peace talks with Israel at the upcoming international Quartet talks on Middle East peace.
"We welcome the efforts of the Quartet to bring about direct talks with no pre-conditions, but we deplore the fact that during the Quartet meeting scheduled for October 26 such direct negotiations won't be taking place because of the opposition from the Palestinians," Netanyahu said in a statement issued by his office.
"Only direct talks without pre-conditions can advance the peace process," Netanyahu stressed.
Envoys of the Middle East Quartet -- the United States, the European Union, the United Nations and Russia -- will meet separately in Jerusalem October 26 with Israeli and Palestinian representatives as they seek a way forward on peace talks, the US State Department said Monday.
"Quartet envoys will be meeting with the parties in Jerusalem on October 26 with the aim to begin preparations and develop an agenda for proceeding with the negotiations," State Department spokesman Mark Toner said in Washington, adding afterwards that "separate" meetings would be held.
The Quartet launched an effort on September 23 to restart suspended peace negotiations between Israel and the Palestinians, acting after Palestinian president Mahmud Abbas formally submitted his request to the United Nations for Palestine to be admitted as a full member.
The Quartet stated last month that there would be a meeting "between the parties," meaning Israelis and Palestinians sitting down face to face to hammer out an agenda and a method of proceeding in the negotiations.
However in Washington Toner insisted that the separate meetings next week are "in keeping with the spirit of the Quartet statement."
Palestinian negotiator Saeb Erakat, told AFP in Ramallah that he had not been officially informed of the planned meeting.
"We have no problem with meeting individually with the Quarter," Erakat explained, but added that there was "a problem" with direct talks with Israel.
The Palestinian Authority has said it will refuse to take part in direct talks unless Israel first freeze the building of Jewish settlements in the West Bank and East Jerusalem, something Netanyahu refuses to do.
Two days earlier UN leader Ban Ki-moon had accused Israel of provoking the international community by approving new settlements in Palestinian territories while efforts were being made to jumpstart the peace talks.
Comment on this article via your Facebook, Yahoo, AOL, Hotmail login.
US, Italy discuss ending NATO air war in Libya
Washington (AFP) Oct 17, 2011
US and Italian defense chiefs on Monday said they examined prospects for ending the allied air campaign over Libya and how to support the country's post-Kadhafi transition in talks at the Pentagon. Defense Secretary Leon Panetta, who expressed thanks for Italy's role in the NATO-led operation, said alliance commanders favored pressing on with bombing raids as Moamer Kadhafi's loyalists were ... read more
|The content herein, unless otherwise known to be public domain, are Copyright 1995-2011 - Space Media Network. AFP and UPI Wire Stories are copyright Agence France-Presse and United Press International. ESA Portal Reports are copyright European Space Agency. All NASA sourced material is public domain. Additional copyrights may apply in whole or part to other bona fide parties. Advertising does not imply endorsement,agreement or approval of any opinions, statements or information provided by Space Media Network on any Web page published or hosted by Space Media Network. Privacy Statement|