Subscribe to our free daily newsletters
. Military Space News .




Subscribe to our free daily newsletters



SUPERPOWERS
Philippines tells US no more joint sea patrols
by Staff Writers
Manila (AFP) Oct 7, 2016


The Philippines announced Friday it had officially informed the United States that joint patrols in the South China Sea patrols had been suspended, following orders from President Rodrigo Duterte.

"They have been suspended for the time being. They (Washington) know it already," Defence Secretary Delfin Lorenzana told reporters, adding he had relayed the decision to the commander of the US Pacific Command when he was in Hawaii at the start of this month.

Still, Lorenzana indicated he was still not 100 percent sure of Duterte's final plans.

"They will not be conducted anymore until we clarify if he (Duterte) means what he says," Lorenzana said.

The longtime allies began planning joint patrols under the previous Philippine government, which had sought to attract a greater US military presence in the region to counter Chinese efforts to take control of the South China Sea.

China claims nearly all of the sea, even waters close to the Philippines and other Southeast Asian nations, and has in recent years built artificial islands in the disputed areas that are capable of hosting military bases.

Lorenzana said the United States and Philippines had conducted two "passing through" manoeuvres over the section of the sea claimed by Manila this year, but not actual "combat patrols".

Duterte, who began his six-year term on June 30, quickly shredded Aquino's strategy on China, seeking co-operation and dialogue with Beijing while diluting the Philippines' alliance with the United States.

He also repeatedly railed against the Philippines' former colonial ruler for criticising his war on crime, which has claimed more than 3,300 lives and raised concerns about extrajudicial killings.

"I have lost my respect for America," Duterte said on Tuesday, as he threatened to break ties completely with the United States.

Duterte had previously branded US President Barack Obama a "son of a whore".

He had also said he wanted US Special Forces out of the southern region of Mindanao, where they have been helping to quell Islamic militants, and threatened to scrap a 2014 agreement granting American troops increased access to Philippine bases.

Duterte also said he would cancel all 28 military exercises the two sides hold annually.

- Concrete actions -

However, until Friday, officials from both sides had said Duterte's pronouncements were not necessarily policy.

US officials had repeatedly said they had not been officially informed of Duterte's comments.

So the announcement that the joint patrols had been suspended was the first public confirmation that one of Duterte's anti-US comments had become policy.

Lorenzana said none of the other Duterte pronouncements had been officially delivered to the Americans.

But he did say the Philippines was planning to eject the US forces in the southern Philippines in the "near future", as he disclosed details of their normally secretive activities.

The US Special Forces began short-term deployments in 2002 to train Filipino troops in how to counter Islamic militants, with the American personnel peaking at about 600 before the operation was scaled down in 2014.

"There are actually very few of them (now), just about 157 people," Lorenzana said, adding they were stationed inside a large military camp on the outskirts of Zamboanga city on the main southern island of Mindanao.

"All they do is operate their drones and some intelligence equipment to help our troops in the south."

He said the drones flew over the militant strongholds of the Basilan and Sulu island groups, as well as central Mindanao where another small armed group had pledged alliance to the Islamic State group.

Lorenzana said those US forces would be asked to leave when the Philippines acquired its own drones.

"The president said that he doesn't want them to leave immediately but maybe in the near future," Lorenzana said.


Thanks for being here;
We need your help. The SpaceDaily news network continues to grow but revenues have never been harder to maintain.

With the rise of Ad Blockers, and Facebook - our traditional revenue sources via quality network advertising continues to decline. And unlike so many other news sites, we don't have a paywall - with those annoying usernames and passwords.

Our news coverage takes time and effort to publish 365 days a year.

If you find our news sites informative and useful then please consider becoming a regular supporter or for now make a one off contribution.

SpaceDaily Contributor
$5 Billed Once


credit card or paypal
SpaceDaily Monthly Supporter
$5 Billed Monthly


paypal only

.


Related Links
Learn about the Superpowers of the 21st Century at SpaceWar.com
Learn about nuclear weapons doctrine and defense at SpaceWar.com






Comment on this article via your Facebook, Yahoo, AOL, Hotmail login.

Share this article via these popular social media networks
del.icio.usdel.icio.us DiggDigg RedditReddit GoogleGoogle

Previous Report
SUPERPOWERS
Finland, Estonia accuse Russia of airspace violations
Helsinki (AFP) Oct 7, 2016
Finland and Estonia accused Russia on Friday of violating their airspace, as Nordic and Baltic defence chiefs met their US counterpart to discuss growing security concerns in the region. "Russian SU-27 violates Estonia's airspace. (Russian) ambassador summoned to (the foreign ministry in Tallinn)," Estonia's permanent representation to NATO tweeted. Finland, which is not a NATO member, s ... read more


SUPERPOWERS
Raytheon to update the Netherlands' Patriot missile system

Lockheed's PAC-3 missile destroys ballistic missile targets in test

Saab gets order for man-portable air defense missile system

Lockheed gets $157 million U.S. Navy Aegis contract

SUPERPOWERS
New targeting system to double range of Russia's Pantsir: Report

State Dept. approves missile warning system sale to Egypt

Raytheon successfully tests newest AMRAAM variant

Russia sends S-300 missile system to Syria port

SUPERPOWERS
45 nations sign declaration on export, use of armed and strike-enabled drones

Drone safety: User-centric control software improves pilot performance and safety

Thales ready for Royal Navy test of its unmanned systems

Northrop Grumman to procure long-lead items for Triton drone

SUPERPOWERS
Canada defence dept selects Newtec for first DVB-S2X Airborne Modem

TeleCommunications Systems continues USMC satellite services

SES unveils new tactical surveillance and communications solution

Newest DARPA Challenge: 'Shift Paradigm' With Robot Radio

SUPERPOWERS
Oshkosh gets $42 million JLTV delivery order

Elbit to provide Bradley Fighting Vehicle's gunner hand station

Northrop Grumman gets $149 million infrared countermeasures contract

LTM gets $35 million military engineering support contract

SUPERPOWERS
Egypt military seen as expanding economic share

Moscow says Syria campaign shows 'reliability' of Russian arms

Poland drops talks in 3 bn euro Airbus chopper deal: ministry

Three missing after S. Korea helicopter crashes at sea

SUPERPOWERS
Gorbachev says world at 'dangerous' point as US-Russia tensions soar

Philippines tells US no more joint sea patrols

Indonesia holds military drill at South China Sea islands

Finland, Estonia accuse Russia of airspace violations

SUPERPOWERS
Electron beam microscope directly writes nanoscale features in liquid with metal ink

A 'nano-golf course' to assemble precisely nanoparticules

NIST-made 'sun and rain' used to study nanoparticle release from polymers

Scientists forge nanogold chains with atomic precision




Memory Foam Mattress Review
Newsletters :: SpaceDaily :: SpaceWar :: TerraDaily :: Energy Daily
XML Feeds :: Space News :: Earth News :: War News :: Solar Energy News






The content herein, unless otherwise known to be public domain, are Copyright 1995-2017 - Space Media Network. All websites are published in Australia and are solely subject to Australian law and governed by Fair Use principals for news reporting and research purposes. AFP, UPI and IANS news wire stories are copyright Agence France-Presse, United Press International and Indo-Asia News Service. ESA news reports are copyright European Space Agency. All NASA sourced material is public domain. Additional copyrights may apply in whole or part to other bona fide parties. All articles labeled "by Staff Writers" include reports supplied to Space Media Network by industry news wires, PR agencies, corporate press officers and the like. Such articles are individually curated and edited by Space Media Network staff on the basis of the report's information value to our industry and professional readership. Advertising does not imply endorsement, agreement or approval of any opinions, statements or information provided by Space Media Network on any Web page published or hosted by Space Media Network. Privacy Statement