Free Newsletters - Space - Defense - Environment - Energy - Solar - Nuclear
..
. Military Space News .




THE STANS
Rising civilian deaths fuel outrage in Pakistan offensive
by Staff Writers
Bannu, Pakistan (AFP) July 22, 2014


When Pakistani air force jets rained down missiles on a village in the country's violence-wracked northwest last week, it was described as yet another victory over Taliban insurgents in an ongoing military offensive.

Now a new account has emerged of the killing of dozens of women and children in the air strikes, sparking anger over rising civilian casualties and fears that a new generation of radicals is being created.

"Today early morning 35 fleeing terrorists were killed through aerial strikes in Shawal Valley." That was how the military's information wing chose to describe the July 16 incident.

The terse press statement was part of a regular series of updates sent out by the army since the operation in the North Waziristan tribal district, aimed at clearing Taliban strongholds, began in mid-June.

Almost 500 "militants" are said to have been killed in the fighting so far, which has been enthusiastically backed by Pakistan's major political parties and media, who see it as a means of tackling a decade-long Islamist insurgency that has claimed thousands of lives.

But the official toll has been impossible to verify, raising questions among rights activists over the offensive's true human cost.

According to multiple accounts by residents, 37 civilians were killed in Thursday's attack -- including 20 women and 10 children.

While villagers grieve, the incident has become a focus of rising anger among tribesmen who have managed to flee to border towns inside Pakistan, and who on Monday threatened to march on Islamabad if the operation does not end soon.

The bombardment in the Shawal Valley began just before 1:00 am, lighting up the sky as residents of Zoi Saidgai village sat down to eat their pre-dawn Ramadan meal.

"It continued for hours, targeting 11 houses," Malik Mirzal Khan, an elder who lost his daughter and brother in the strikes, told AFP from a payphone in his village.

"A single bomb dropped from the plane blew up two mud houses and the explosions could be heard 30 kilometres away," Khan, part of a high-level peace council that attempted to avert the government offensive before it began, said.

He added that residents had made a list of the dead, and none of them were militants.

"My 13-year-old daughter, brother, his wife and two of his kids were killed," he said.

The rest, Khan added, "were not local or foreign militants, but innocent civilians who were killed. There were men, women, boys and girls. Those seven men who died were never involved in militancy."

Noor Wali Khan, a 27-year-old truck driver, said he lost his mother and two-sisters-in-law when his house was bombed, while his brother and father are seriously wounded.

Both men's accounts were backed up by three other witnesses and relatives AFP spoke to, but the military has so far refused to comment on the matter on the record.

- Human shields? -

A senior security official speaking on condition of anonymity has said those who were killed had plenty of warning to evacuate.

"If a terrorist is living with his family and does not abandon them even during the time of operation and we have solid ground intelligence about the terrorist and we target his hideout, what would you call it, collateral damage or what?" the source asked.

"If a terrorist is using his family as human shields what do you expect the military to do?"

Khan, the elder, said his village was never informed it would be a target.

"In the meetings with military and civil officials, we had been assured to stay home as our areas were declared safe and free from militant control," he said, adding that he had conveyed the same message to the local population and had forbidden them from leaving their own houses.

And he said he was furious with the government.

"America is our enemy, but they have never taken such cruel action against us which we had witnessed from the Pakistani government -- our own country."

- 'Truth will come out' -

According to the residents, no rescue officials were able to reach the remote area and locals dug out corpses using tools and tractors.

Anti-government sentiment is running high in the village, fuelling fears among observers that the military action could backfire by creating new recruits for the militants.

Wali Muhammad, a 28-year-old shopkeeper, said that the nature of Thursday's strikes meant the facts would eventually be known, despite the army's claims.

"You can't cover up the sun with a finger," he said, using a Pashto expression that roughly translates to: "The truth will come out".

Some 500 villagers turned out for funeral prayers to mourn the dead. "There were tears in the eyes of every person who participated," Muhammad said.

Asked whether militants had sought shelter in the village, Umar Khalid, a 35-year-old farmer, grew angry.

"The government is powerful and we cannot stop its brutalities. But it was women who were targeted in this strike, not militants."

In Bannu, where tribesmen held a jirga Monday, elders said the Shawal Valley attack was not an isolated incident.

"We want the military operation to be completed as soon as possible because civilians are suffering the most," Malik Nasrullah, the chief elder of the North Waziristan tribes, told reporters.

Malik Mirzal Khan, the elder from Shawal, demanded an investigation into the air strike -- a request that is unlikely to be met.

"We want to make sure such action should not be repeated for other people who are still living in Waziristan," he said.

.


Related Links
News From Across The Stans






Comment on this article via your Facebook, Yahoo, AOL, Hotmail login.

Share this article via these popular social media networks
del.icio.usdel.icio.us DiggDigg RedditReddit GoogleGoogle




Memory Foam Mattress Review
Newsletters :: SpaceDaily :: SpaceWar :: TerraDaily :: Energy Daily
XML Feeds :: Space News :: Earth News :: War News :: Solar Energy News





THE STANS
SIGAR questions supply of C-130s to Afghanistan
Arlington, Va. (UPI) Jul 18, 2013
A Congressionally created oversight body is urging the temporary suspension of U.S. plans to deliver two C-130H Hercules transport planes to the Afghan Air Force. U.S. Cargo planes already delivered to the Afghan Air Force are under-utilized, the U.S. Air Force had previously cautioned against the plan, and withholding the planes would save U.S. taxpayers money - as much as $45.5 milli ... read more


THE STANS
US lawmakers boost funding for Israel's Iron Dome

Qatar to buy Patriot missiles in $11 bln arms deal: US

Qatar to buy Patriot missiles in $11 bln arms deal: US

Industries study enhanced missile defense capability

THE STANS
Storm Shadow missiles set for integration of RAF Typhoons

AC-235 gunships for Jordan feature missiles, rockets and cannons

Russian-made missile key suspect in MH17 crash

Brazil interested in Russian air defenses: Rousseff

THE STANS
Report: drone market to remain strong

Chinese remote sensing drone sets 30-hour flying record

US drone strike kills 18 in NW Pakistan

AgustaWestland's remotely controlled UAV put through paces

THE STANS
Third MUOS satellite heads for final checkout

Saab reports U.S. Army order for radio systems

Thales enhancing communications of EU peacekeepers

Exelis enhancing communications for NATO country

THE STANS
Lithuania to replace M113 armored personnel carriers

AM General touts Humvee replacement offering

Exelis licenses Belgian technology

Air Force contracts Boeing for continued warhead system work.

THE STANS
India clears defence procurement worth $3.5 bn: report

Britain still exporting arms to Russia: MPs

EU to prepare defence sanctions against Russia: Austria FM

Japan, Britain to launch joint missile research: report

THE STANS
The X-Gen Men at 1600 and Number 10

China's Xi in Cuba on last stop of Latin America swing

Malaysia Flight 17 and the decline of the West

Britain's Cameron urges military sanctions against Russia

THE STANS
NIST shows ultrasonically propelled nanorods spin dizzyingly fast

Low cost technique improves properties of nanomaterials

Researchers demonstrate novel, tunable nanoantennas

Illinois study advances limits for ultrafast nano-devices




The content herein, unless otherwise known to be public domain, are Copyright 1995-2014 - Space Media Network. All websites are published in Australia and are solely subject to Australian law and governed by Fair Use principals for news reporting and research purposes. AFP, UPI and IANS news wire stories are copyright Agence France-Presse, United Press International and Indo-Asia News Service. ESA news reports are copyright European Space Agency. All NASA sourced material is public domain. Additional copyrights may apply in whole or part to other bona fide parties. Advertising does not imply endorsement, agreement or approval of any opinions, statements or information provided by Space Media Network on any Web page published or hosted by Space Media Network. Privacy Statement All images and articles appearing on Space Media Network have been edited or digitally altered in some way. Any requests to remove copyright material will be acted upon in a timely and appropriate manner. Any attempt to extort money from Space Media Network will be ignored and reported to Australian Law Enforcement Agencies as a potential case of financial fraud involving the use of a telephonic carriage device or postal service.